Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought it was funny how a movie called "War Room", which sounds like a political thriller, did very well despite being a Christian movie. And that movie with Zac Efron in it, called "We are your friends", which sounds more Christian, bombed.

Upvote 0

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians are becoming even more desperate in their attempts to be culturally relevant.

'Look, we can make movies too!"

"Look, we can make contemporary music too!" (even if they are just mimicking mainstream artists)

Pretty pathetic.
I was browsing Yahoo looking for Christians in community. There was a Bible study site that was amazing. All the links, all the articles, great place. Part of the site included emailed questions and one of those questions asked when the owner of that site would put in a Christian discussion forum.
Never! He said. Because Christian forums offer too much of an opportunity for atheists and those who are set to disrupt the harmony of such a place due to the opportunity for anonymity that the Net affords. And anyone can claim to be a Christian while joining just to cast aspersions at real Christians once they're there. Wise man.

Upvote 0

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought it was funny how a movie called "War Room", which sounds like a political thriller, did very well despite being a Christian movie. And that movie with Zac Efron in it, called "We are your friends", which sounds more Christian, bombed.
:confused: Did you see the trailer for the Efron movie? He's a horrible actor who's rich for his looks. I'm glad it bombed. There's hope for people's discretion in spending money at the box office. That trailer was an exercise in stupidity and evil at the same time. Horrible!

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ummm the phrase, "War room' knocks off comtpon, can be taken as removed from top X, or it was a attempt at a knockoff.
Exactly. I thought that was what the thread was insinuating until I read the OP. In my world a 'knock off' means a cheap imitation.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker

Christian movies can make good money - but it helps if they don't suck. Oftentimes, they do.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We went to see "War Room." It was typically hokey and depended 'way too much on social stereotypes instead of real character building, but decent and enriching. The Kendricks do this kind of movie much better than most.

We won't bother watching "Straight out of Compton." It doesn't pass the Philippian Prescription test.
But I'll noted that the target audience for "Compton" is smaller than the target audience for "War Room." All of these movies ought to break records. If 70% of America claims to be Christian and yet won't bother to support a decent Christian movie, that says some unhappy things about the seriousness of their Christianity.

Heck, congregations ought to be buying out showings...if we were really serious about this Christianity thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why oh why would an atheist see "degrees" in religion?

It's like Bill Maher who can say (to paraphrase), "All religions are stupid, but Islam is evil." Or he makes another point to compare the number of beheadings annually in Saudi Arabia compared to the number of beheadings in the Vatican.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who's seen it care to give a quick synopsis?

An elderly black woman--the widow of an Army captain who died of a heart attack after surviving Vietnam--is selling her long-time home.

The real estate agent is a younger black woman, married to a successful pharmasuitical salesman, who is having problems in her marriage.

When the younger woman tours the house with the older woman, the older woman points out one closet of the house that she called her "war room." From things her husband had told her about war planning in Vietnam, her "war room" is the room that she has dedicated solely to prayer.

The older woman deduces that the younger woman is having marital problems and begins a mentor-counselor relationship, concentrating on using prayer rather than confrontation to resolve the issues.

More "stuff" happens in the younger woman's marriage and family before things get better, and she has to double down on her prayer--clearing out her closet filled with expensive clothes and creating her own "war room."

That act in itself turns out to be a decisive point, when her husband discovers she has thrown away most of her clothes and dedicated a room to praying for his well-being and success, even after he realizes she had discovered that he had been toying with adultery.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
We went to see "War Room." It was typically hokey and depended 'way too much on social stereotypes instead of real character building, but decent and enriching. The Kendricks do this kind of movie much better than most.

We won't bother watching "Straight out of Compton." It doesn't pass the Philippian Prescription test.
But I'll noted that the target audience for "Compton" is smaller than the target audience for "War Room." All of these movies ought to break records. If 70% of America claims to be Christian and yet won't bother to support a decent Christian movie, that says some unhappy things about the seriousness of their Christianity.

Heck, congregations ought to be buying out showings...if we were really serious about this Christianity thing.

Marketing plays a part, too. I don't want much TV, but I haven't seen a single commercial for War Room, nor have I seen any previews in any movie I watched. I've seen plenty of hype around Compton, though, and it's gotten around a lot with word of mouth.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What's the Philippians prescription test? Sounds interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Old news but very encouraging actually.

Shocker: Christian-based ‘War Room’ knocks off ‘Straight Outta Compton’
Dan Taylor, MorningTicker | September 06, 2015

A faith-based movie has knocked off the NWA biopic “Straight Outta Compton” off its No. 1 perch at the box office this labor day weekend.

“War Room was actually in its second weekend in theaters, and it will bag a total of $9.35 million over the three-day weekend — not an earth-shattering haul, but still better than former No. 1 Straight Outta Compton, which took $8.85 million, according to a Business Insider report.

Both White people that saw Straight Outta Compton liked it, though.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If 70% of America claims to be Christian and yet won't bother to support a decent Christian movie, that says some unhappy things about the seriousness of their Christianity.

That or there are plenty of christians out there who don't like as you put it, hokey movies.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That or there are plenty of christians out there who don't like as you put it, hokey movies.

Hokey is better than mindless slaughter and gore.

The Philippian Prescription:

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—ponder upon such things. -- Philippians 4

It's a matter of what you're feeding your spirit, what will strengthen your spirit or what will weaken it.

Upvote 0

TheQuietRiot

indomitable
Aug 17, 2011
West Yorkshire
✟12,002.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I was browsing Yahoo looking for Christians in community. There was a Bible study site that was amazing. All the links, all the articles, great place. Part of the site included emailed questions and one of those questions asked when the owner of that site would put in a Christian discussion forum.
Never! He said. Because Christian forums offer too much of an opportunity for atheists and those who are set to disrupt the harmony of such a place due to the opportunity for anonymity that the Net affords. And anyone can claim to be a Christian while joining just to cast aspersions at real Christians once they're there. Wise man.

Wise man indeed.

Removing any alternative opinions only reinforces the beliefs of the "flock".

Indoctrination 101

Upvote 0