Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He has a book out.

Almost every Republican shared his disgust with Trump.​

Publicly, Mr. Romney has long been on an island in a party subsumed by Trumpism. Privately, he reveals, many of his colleagues, including Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the longtime Rep,,,ublican leader, are actually on the same page when it comes to his dim view of Donald J. Trump.​
“Almost without exception,” Mr. Romney told Mr. Coppins, “they shared my view of the president.”​
Mr. Romney kept a tally of his colleagues who approached him to privately express solidarity when he publicly criticized Mr. Trump, often saying they envied his ability to air his views. At one point, he told his staff, the list reached more than a dozen.​
Mr. Romney also recalled a 2019 visit Mr. Trump made to the weekly Senate Republican lunch in the Capitol. The senators gave the president a standing ovation and were attentive and encouraging during his remarks about what he called the “Russia hoax.” They nodded when he said the G.O.P. would be known as “the party of health care” after they moved on from impeachment. But as soon as Mr. Trump left the room, the senators all burst out laughing......​

Mr. Romney warned Mr. McConnell that their lives were in danger on Jan. 6.​

In the days leading up to the riot, Mr. Romney received a warning about potential violence at the Capitol. He was concerned enough to text Mr. McConnell and share his fears.​
“In case you have not heard this, I just got a call from Angus King, who said that he had spoken with a senior official at the Pentagon who reports that they are seeing very disturbing social media traffic regarding the protests planned on the 6th,” Mr. Romney wrote. “There are calls to burn down your home, Mitch; to smuggle guns into DC, and to storm the Capitol. I hope that sufficient security plans are in place, but I am concerned that the instigator — the President — is the one who commands the reinforcements the DC and Capitol police might require.”​
Mr. McConnell never responded to the text.​

He doesn't have a high opinion of J.D. Vance or of Pence.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If we had more people like Romney in Washington, Trump wouldn't have been able to get away with his crimes and abuses.

I am surprised by his revelation about Pence. Evidently, Pence is somebody who, according to Romney, was willing to ascribe "ungoldly" acts to God's will. It sounds like he's somebody who engaged in alot of wishful and fanciful rationalizations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
He has a book out.

Almost every Republican shared his disgust with Trump.​

Publicly, Mr. Romney has long been on an island in a party subsumed by Trumpism. Privately, he reveals, many of his colleagues, including Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the longtime Rep,,,ublican leader, are actually on the same page when it comes to his dim view of Donald J. Trump.​
“Almost without exception,” Mr. Romney told Mr. Coppins, “they shared my view of the president.”​
Mr. Romney kept a tally of his colleagues who approached him to privately express solidarity when he publicly criticized Mr. Trump, often saying they envied his ability to air his views. At one point, he told his staff, the list reached more than a dozen.​
Mr. Romney also recalled a 2019 visit Mr. Trump made to the weekly Senate Republican lunch in the Capitol. The senators gave the president a standing ovation and were attentive and encouraging during his remarks about what he called the “Russia hoax.” They nodded when he said the G.O.P. would be known as “the party of health care” after they moved on from impeachment. But as soon as Mr. Trump left the room, the senators all burst out laughing......​

Mr. Romney warned Mr. McConnell that their lives were in danger on Jan. 6.​

In the days leading up to the riot, Mr. Romney received a warning about potential violence at the Capitol. He was concerned enough to text Mr. McConnell and share his fears.​
“In case you have not heard this, I just got a call from Angus King, who said that he had spoken with a senior official at the Pentagon who reports that they are seeing very disturbing social media traffic regarding the protests planned on the 6th,” Mr. Romney wrote. “There are calls to burn down your home, Mitch; to smuggle guns into DC, and to storm the Capitol. I hope that sufficient security plans are in place, but I am concerned that the instigator — the President — is the one who commands the reinforcements the DC and Capitol police might require.”​
Mr. McConnell never responded to the text.​

He doesn't have a high opinion of J.D. Vance or of Pence.
“Statesmen” used to deliver their considered opinions In speeches: now they wait until they’re about to “retire” and publish books to make a Buck.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
“Statesmen” used to deliver their considered opinions In speeches: now they wait until they’re about to “retire” and publish books to make a Buck.

Books get more distribution now days than speeches, if you have anything substantive to say.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I'm no Romney fan, but he was pretty vocal and active in his criticism of Trump all the way from the nomination through his presidency and into the Biden presidency (although his Senate voting record is a little questionable when it comes to principles over party).

Romney was mostly constant in his tune concerning Trump. In early 2016, he labelled him a "fraud", a "con man", a "fake", a "phony" and he's maintained that position. That position moderated a little in the first year of the Trump presidency, but when Romney got into the Senate he was just as critical. And he stayed that way.

Here's a rather prescient speech:

I also think that Romney doesn't give a fig about the money from sales (or not) of his book. The man is worth somewhere north of $200 million - in 2010 and 2011 he was earning $21 to $22 million a year from investments alone.

Romney donated 1.75 million to charity in 2011 (mostly to the Mormon church) and decided NOT to make that a deduction. A few $100,000s from a book isn't going to be noticed by anyone except his accountants.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't have a clue how old Romney was, so I was a bit shocked when he anounced he was retiring from politics.

Whatever Romney is doing, he always looks alot younger than 76. Maybe it's due to clean living.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As I recall, Romeny delivered a memorable speech during the impeachment trial in the Senate...memorable in the sense it was based on his deeply held convictions as opposed to his cowardly colleagues who put party over the country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0