United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of this guy:

homeless-man-with-dog.jpg

The story behind this is as heartbreaking as it is beautiful:

http://iheartdogs.com/this-homeless-man-and-his-best-friend-did-life-together-until-that-day/

The dog saved his life in more ways than one.

Welp, I will admit I lost it on this one, and I should not have shared this with my husband since he become angry at me for sharing that with him (mostly because he cannot take stories like this between a man and his dog) and he will react in anger and wish death on all involved.

Which is probobaly not far off from what David was feeling when Nathan told him the story of the poor man with his one little lamb and someone stealing it away from him.

That is a very precious picture of the two together, how sad.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How is this homeless man feeding his dog out of curiosity? Before reading the thread, I figured they took the dog away due to him not being able to take care of it, but maybe he has a food source for the dog?
Homeless people with animals tend to feed the animal even before themselves. They will feed the animal the same way the feed themselves; dumpster diving, foraging, and panhandling.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is this homeless man feeding his dog out of curiosity? Before reading the thread, I figured they took the dog away due to him not being able to take care of it, but maybe he has a food source for the dog?

I believe they both live off the scraps that fall off of the table of others

If not a hand out, a dumpster

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-homeless-man-by-animal-rights-activists.html

To ad insult to injury, they put the dog up for adoption for 195€ on the next day, renaming him "Vegan".
While that does seem pretty harsh on the face of it, for a long time I've been telling people "if you can't afford vet bills and medication, you can't afford a pet". Sure, it seems mean at first glance to take a homeless guy's pet, but was the guy actually financially capable of looking after an animal? There's more to affording an animal than being able to buy a tin of food a day. Was it getting regular flea and worm treatments? Vaccinations?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Homeless people with animals tend to feed the animal even before themselves. They will feed the animal the same way the feed themselves; dumpster diving, foraging, and panhandling.
I really feel for the guy in the OP. I do. And I'm sure that, yes, his dog was fed before he was. But there's more to responsible ownership than merely feeding it. When was the last time it had a teeth clean?

I'm not saying homeless people shouldn't be allowed pets, far from it, but only if they can realistically meet the animal's needs.

Perhaps if animal welfare agencies had some sort of temporary foster care system where an animal can be cared for by others until a homeless person is in a better place financially? I don't know, just typing out loud, I guess.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I kind of agree. While it's sad to see the man lose his animal companion, I also don't think it's fair to an animal to not be able to be properly taken care of. Pets need medical care, vaccines, teeth cleaning, proper food, etc. While an extreme example, would a homeless person be allowed to keep a baby with them on the street?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Anybody tried to take either of my fur babies, they'd end up with missing body parts, even if I was homeless. There are enough homeless animals also that have to fend for themselves as it is. They'll take his dog, but don't care about the man bring homeless.

Reactions: heatedmonk
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Actually, pets don't need vaccinations, their teeth cleaned or worm treatments. It improves their quality of life, but they are perfectly able to live without those. There are many stray dogs who don't even get fed regularily and get by, too.

These dogs might not get the best medical treatment, and they might not live as long or as healthy lives as others, but they around their human 24/7, never cooped up in a cage while their human is gone for half the day working, and they are incredibly loved and cared for.

I'm not sure which kind of pet has a better life.

Also, there are actually veterinary clinics who provide free service for the pets of the homeless.

http://www.sfccc.org/veterinary-street-outreach-services-vetsos

Reactions: Supreme
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
but they around their human 24/7, never cooped up in a cage while their human is gone for half the day working, and they are incredibly loved and cared for.

Big reason I don't own an animal. I'm away for over 12 hours a day, up to a month at a time. Not good for having a pet you need to give attention to.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This homeless man actually got himself an attorney, and the police is investigating the case.
Unfortunately the homeless guy will get free legal advice; it is wrong.
Why steal the dog I the first place? He's homeless isn't he; how's he going to support it?

People like this make me angry.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately the homeless guy will get free legal advice; it is wrong.
Why steal the dog I the first place? He's homeless isn't he; how's he going to support it?

People like this make me angry.
He will find it food just like he finds food for himself. Quite a few do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He will find it food just like he finds food for himself. Quite a few do it.
Yeah but stealing a dog is wrong and he should have no case or legal council whatsoever.
People today don't know right from wrong.

Upvote 0

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This homeless man actually got himself an attorney, and the police is investigating the case.
Good! I hope there's an update that these thieves are jailed for their crime and his puppy is returned to him well before that. Poor man. I hope his puppy survives incarceration and those who stole him endure their own.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Now, as someone for whom animal cruelty is often more distressing to watch that human cruelty, I am aghast at how horrible these people acted. They took away a young pup from his owner, an owner who they didn't have a shred of evidence to say wasn't fit to look after the dog.

I hope the French legal system deals with these people for the criminals that they are. Compassion for your fellow man and compassion for animals are *not* mutually exclusive, but it seems this group abandoned both.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah but stealing a dog is wrong and he should have no case or legal council whatsoever.
People today don't know right from wrong.
Do you have any evidence for accusing him of theft?

Upvote 0