*-*- Pre-wed Christians Living Together? -*-*

JustAWitness

May 7, 2008
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
i have lots of questions and am new to this forum. i've been walking with Christ for 3-4 years but have recently made a greater commitment.

my question is: What does God have to say about Christians living together that are not married yet? Example being an engaged couple or perhaps just a boyfriend and girlfriend living together with or without the plan of marriage.

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Modern society has many issues that are not dealt with directly in Scripture. Most Christians will take a position based on their underlying frame of reference. Similar posts have produced a range of opinions as a consequence. Some see it as always wrong. Some may accept that some couples may live that way without transgressing. Some live together without any concerns and remain chaste.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He doesn't say anything specific about that, but He does say a lot of things against fornication and being a stumbling block to others.

"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders." - Matthew 15:19

"It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit." - 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8

On making another stumble (the food sacrificed to idols is an example of how some used to commit this sin):

"Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall." - 1 Corinthians 8:9-13

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
“But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.” (1 Cor. 8:9-13)

When we become “born-again”, and begin to grow in our Lord Jesus Christ, we begin to realise our freedom doesn’t mean that anything goes, such “pre-marriage relationships” within a Christian’s life. Our salvation isn’t determined by good deeds, or being honest, by the free Gift of God, and doesn’t guarantee our “eternal life”.

“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Eph. 2:8-9)

We become “born-again” through God’s unmerited grace, not as the result of any effort, ability, intelligent choice or decision, or act of service on our part, but HIS GIFT of Salvation. Out of our gratification of this “FREE GIFT”, we will seek to help and serve others with kindness, love, and gentleness, and not merely to please ourselves, and do what we want to do on the premise the once we are saved, then we can’t lose our “eternal life”..

No action or work helps us to obtain “salvation”, but it will result in our “acts of service”. We are not “saved” merely for our own benefit, but to serve our Lord Jesus Christ to build up HIS CHURCH, “for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ” (Eph. 4:12).

Therefore, our Christian freedom is tied to Christian accountability and responsibility. When we become “born-again” we often become sensitive to knowing what is right and what is wrong; and what we should do and what we shouldn’t do. Then, that is no different as we mature.

Our actions may be perfectly all right in our own mind, but our actions may also harm another Christian Brother or Sister, who is still young in faith, and learning what the Christian life is about. Such actions are those actions that are committed by legalistic Christians, because they are not fully written or explained in His Word for the modern world of today, the 21st Century.

We must be careful not to offend a sensitive or younger Christian or, by our example, such as living in an unmarried relationship or practising other practices that are not of our Lord Jesus Christ on the pretence that marriage is hopeful or the practices are harmless, because the Bible is silent. These sorts of beliefs do lead to SIN.

When we love others, our freedom should less important to us than strengthening the faith of another brother or sister in our Lord Jesus Christ.

“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honour, not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter, because the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also forewarned you and testified. For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness. Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given us His Holy Spirit.” (1 Thess. 4:3-8)

Our “sanctification” is to be holy, which is the process of living the Christian life. The Holy Spirit works in us, conforming us into the image of our Lord Jesus Christ

“For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.” (Rom. 8:29)

In Paul’s days, sexual standards were very low, and today in the 21st Century those standards are no different. The temptation to live together, and live as man and wife for sexual intercourse outside the marriage relationship has always been a powerful temptation to Christians.

Giving in to that temptation, and the “snare of the fowler” can have disastrous results. Sexual sin always hurts somebody, the individuals, the family, and the church. Beside physical consequences there are also spiritual consequences.

“Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.” (1 Cor. 6:18)

God’s ultimate goal for us is to make us like our Lord Jesus Christ, “Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is” (1 John 3:2). As we become more and more like HIM, we discover our true self, the person that we were created to be, and to be conformed to our Lord Jesus Christ’s likeness.

Therefore, we are free to be all we can be for our Lord Jesus Christ. God created sex to be a beautiful and essential ingredient of marriage, but sexual sin, sex outside of marriage relationship will always hurts someone. It will hurt our Lord Jesus Christ, because it then shows that we prefer to follow our own desires instead of the leading of the Holy Spirit. It deeply affects our personalities, because we respond in anguish knowing we did wrong by harming ourself physically and spiritually.

Some believe that “once saved always saved” and a little sin cannot hurt them, and that is where many Christians fall down believing that going to get married, gives them a licence to have a trial before married life, as they say, “a taste before you buy”. But, normally we find that those who speak of a trial, have most likely already been active in their earlier sexual immorality, and don’t realise the gravity of it all.

Sexual desires and activities must be placed under our Lord Jesus Christ’s control. God created sexual intercourse as a procreation and pleasure that expresses love between husband and wife. Therefore, any sexual experience must be limited to the marriage relationship to avoid hurting oneself, and our relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.

Many may say that they are not going to have sex, but just live together. I always wonder where temptation may fall into place in this arrangement?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In and around the first century when a Man sent for a wife, especially when she lives far away, She would take up residents with the "mans" family. And he himself could live there as well, until other living arrangements could be made. at which time the marriage could take place. If this was a "Appearance of Evil" then I would have suspected the Holy Spirit would have one of the NT writers say something.

With that said, I personally don't think it's a Good Idea because you may form an inappropriate premarital (non physical) bond with your potential mate, Blinding you (with love) to "Deal breaking" character flaws. The kind that destroy marriages once the honeymoon is over. It's better to keep your head and try to weed thru stuff like this before you become emotional attached to anyone. Because other wise it's supposed to be Until DEATH do you Part.

Just go thru the Divorce or Reconciling marriage parts of this site and look at how much Tranquility is lost over "Deal Breaking" character flaws, Now keep in mind these things didn't appear overnight, even though it may seem that way to the people first experiencing them.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

omojesu

May 25, 2008
✟7,617.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
What is wrong will remain wrong no matter how much we try to decorate, polish or garnish it! The only thing left to do will be to do that which is right and completely abandon the wrong. What are my saying? God does not approve, stick with what he approves. Also spend more time studying the word of God so you will discover things yourself and don't forget to ask the holy Spirit to help you.

Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that a christian man and a christian woman should not live together if they are in a romantic relationship together, this will only cause temptation and possible areas for the enemy to attack....why would they live together anyway? I can understand if moving arrangements are being settled a month or two before a wedding but other than that no...I dont believe that is something that God would approve of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pete56

A Beloved Son of God!
Apr 13, 2004
✟19,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, strange that some should try to make a distinction between 'living together' and entering a sexual relationship. Perhaps I am behind the times (and I may well be) but when I was a young man, the term 'living together' meant having the full marital relationship without having the commitment of a marriage ceremony - in truth there really was only one reason why guys wanted girls to 'live' with them!

Now it seems we are trying to bury our heads and look the other way when a couple co-habit, with the suggestion that the relationship is pure and platonic! Whilst I am sure that that is possible, I am afraid I don't think human nature has changed!

When a guy invites a girl to 'live' with him, he is focused only on one thing!

I remember - I was that guy once too!

Pete

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is a general Christian consensus that sex is for marriage. That's where I belong. But living together without being a 'couple ' is a different issue where Christians do differ.

John
NZ
Yep, I suppose my three score ten views differ from another Christian of one score ten.

But, in my worldly belief that man and women don't live together in the same house just to be pals, buddies, mates, friends, etc.

Sorry Johnno, the white cloud has seeped into your thinking. Aussie joke, please forgive me.:bow:

Upvote 0

triden

Mar 29, 2007
British Columbia
✟7,651.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is what I think.

If you have a close relationship with the Lord, you will know in your heart whether it is right or wrong to live together. If you don't have a mature, strong relationship with God, make that a priority and then ask youself the question again. Getting married is a public confession of your love for each other. It's a confession and a promise saying that you are going to be with this person forever. I think that you can be married in God's eyes and still not have the marriage certificate signed. That is just a cultural ceremony that we use to express and say that "yes, we are married". I don't think it is neccessary to be married in God's eyes, as our culture changes, but God's laws never change.

Now with that said, I don't think you should just go and move in with your significant other. Obviously, if you are just 'dating', it's not something you would do. Dating is a tool used to find a wife or husband, not an excuse just to be in a relationship with someone. It's something that takes a lifetime of commitment and effort. Personally, waiting until you are legally married by the state/province is the best way to go about it. It leaves no room for questions, and it also presents a Christian world view to others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pete56

A Beloved Son of God!
Apr 13, 2004
✟19,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Triden I am happy that you ended your post with the advice to marry properly, but I am curious from where have you developed the opinion expressed in your first paragraph?

Every thing I read in the bible points towards the sanctity of marriage and even Jesus' first miracle was performed at a wedding! In the light of that how do you arrive at a position where marriage can happen in the 'eyes of God' without the ceremonial aspect that most cultures expect?

And coud you please explain at what point in a relationship a couple are deemed to be married 'in the eyes of God'? Is it when they pledge undying devotion as they gaze at the moon, or as they walk hand in hand along lovers lane, or in the post coital haze of some sleazy hotel room?

Upvote 0

LisaBaby04

awesome =)
May 22, 2008
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Liberals
Example being an engaged couple or perhaps just a boyfriend and girlfriend living together with or without the plan of marriage.

The thing is, what is the purpose of a couple being together and living together if there is no plan of marriage? The purpose of dating, especially Christian dating, is to find someone who you can love and gloirfy God with. Paul says in 1 Corinthians that he wishes everyone was like him, being able to live happily as a single serving God rather than being yoked to someone for the sake of it. I Corinthians 7:8 - "It is good for you to stay single like me. But if you can't control yourselves, you should get married. It is better to get married than to burn with sexual longing". The reason there is that because immorality is so strong and tempting, marriage is a way to fix it without disobeying the Lord.

That brings me to the fact of immorality and if you're living in the same house, even sleeping in the same bed as someone you're attracted to, that is probably one of the biggest temptations. If you can avoid being tempted, uh you should! Satan will use any situation to tempt you and it will be too hard.

That's what I think anyway..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i have lots of questions and am new to this forum. i've been walking with Christ for 3-4 years but have recently made a greater commitment.

my question is: What does God have to say about Christians living together that are not married yet? Example being an engaged couple or perhaps just a boyfriend and girlfriend living together with or without the plan of marriage.
In my opinion, it is neither wise nor proper for two Christians of the opposite sex to be living together. "Wise" because of the possibility of temptation to immorality. "Improper" because of the message it sends to others who may view your relationship and know of your Christian commitments.

Unwise:
Matthew 26:41
" Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Improper:
Ephesians 5:3
But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;

Paul says there shouldn't even be a HINT of such behavior.

I realize there are males and females who "live together" today who are not intimately involved. But the situation you pose is rather special - the two people are 1) Christians, and 2) in love with each other. I believe it would be inordinately naive to think satan would not have a heyday with two such Christians, or that they would honestly be able to ward off his temting. And even if they did, what would others think? It's just not a good Christian witness...

Upvote 0

ahmid

Jun 6, 2008
✟15,294.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many good replies have been given. If questions such as yours get in the way of 'seeking the kingdom of heaven,' I act in accordance to God's will. I don't let them become a hindrance to worshipping the Lord. Delaying the right response only causes my heart to fail and I cannot concentrate on the Lord. God Bless.

Upvote 0