seed757

fanatically balanced/radically compassionate
Feb 20, 2006
✟9,176.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I am having a seriously difficult time with this. For the life of me, I can't seem to understand why there is so much animosity and malice towards those who my have a different worldview/belief system than one's self.

I mean come on! Are people really that threatened by diversity and pluralism? What do people lose by simply appreciating(or at least respecting) others views that don't harm anyone?

Do we need some more evolving(tongue-in-cheek) before we get to that point? Or are we still closer to Neanderthals, and can't quite grasp the concept of multiplicity?

Whew!:swoon:

*end of rant*

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am having a seriously difficult time with this. For the life of me, I can't seem to understand why there is so much animosity and malice towards those who my have a different worldview/belief system than one's self.

I mean come on! Are people really that threatened by diversity and pluralism? What do people lose by simply appreciating(or at least respecting) others views that don't harm anyone?

Do we need some more evolving(tongue-in-cheek) before we get to that point? Or are we still closer to Neanderthals, and can't quite grasp the concept of multiplicity?

*end of rant*
Hi. My Lord Jesus has always "En-Light-ened" me in my walk with YHWH His Father.
Allow His Beacon to also lead you to the path of Righteousness and Truth as He has led me and millions of others. Salam/Peace. :wave:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Luke 2:32 A Light into the from-covering/apo-kaluyin <602> of nations, and glory of people of You, Israel.'

Revelation 1:1 A-from-covering/apo-kaluyiV<602> Yeshuwa` Mashiyach, which gives to Him, the God/YAHWEH, to show to the bondservants of Him, which is behooving to be becoming in swiftness.

http://foru.ms/t5615012-jesus-christ-was-he-sent-for-all-mankind.html
jesus-christ-was-he-sent-for-all-mankind

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

*end of rant*

hola seed757,

i think people can be frightened that something they consider so clear, might not be...

que Dios te bendiga

Upvote 0

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim

*end of rant*

When things change to such an extent that people start saying "O Its OK" or "O Its Normal" in one society and not the other then you have a difference.

This difference over time grows and people start to see the effects of saying "O it's Normal" comes the realization of how other societies have preserved somethings which no longer exists in others.

Mankind will pass through the stages...

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

*end of rant*

No worries, friend. I've had the same sentiments within me for a long time - only you've phrased it much more civilly than I could have.

I haven't a clue why people seem to fear these things. I suppose that we could attribute it to ignorance, but in order to do that, we first must decide whether it's willful ignorance or simply a lack of knowledge.

I think that maybe people are scared because of all the stereotypes. Just using Islam as an example, I think the reason why people are so uptight are because they watch car bombs going off in Iran and they assume that all Muslims are like that. They browse the internet and see sites like "Prophet of Doom" and "The Religion of Peace," both of which are anti-Muslim websites, and assume that all Muslims are out to kill them and their families.

Most of those people think that way because they have never met any Muslims. Sadly, though, they choose to stew in their hatred rather than go out and actually ask a Muslim what he or she believes. Never have I met anyone who has sympathized with terrorists - well, other than rich teenage mall-goths who say things like that for shock value. But I digress.

I don't think that there's any one set answer for that. I don't know if you were here when Alan was still regular here, Seedsy, but he had a better explanation than I do. I talk to him almost every day, but I wish he'd come back to NCR. He was - and still is - a living example of Christ's love.

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
It's because the majority of people fear what they do not know, do not understand. This fear threatens them, so they react poorly, as we often see.
I believe much of this hate could be removed if people would just bother to learn about other ways of life. Get past the fear.. understand the others who live on this world.
No, it would not solve the problem for every last person - some people will just be filled with hate no matter much, blinded by it.. But many, well, if they just had the knowledge we would not see so much of this.

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
They browse the internet and see sites like "Prophet of Doom" and "The Religion of Peace," both of which are anti-Muslim websites, and assume that all Muslims are out to kill them and their families.

This is another big problem. When people actually make a small effort to learn, this is where they leave off. They do not check their facts. They do not go to many sources. I see many messages on myspace (especially on this time of year) being passed around, about 9/11 and how the Koran says this or that. None of it is true.. all it takes is a quick internet search to see that, but they just accept this as fact - for whatever reason - and pass it along again. Very few seem to want to put effort into understanding anything outside of their little corner of the world.. It's really sad to see.. :(

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

*end of rant*

Now, now, it's okay to feel this way. Agreeing with the posters so far, people are often afraid of things they don't understand and things that are different from them. What usually ends up happening is the fear can turn into hate. Though, I would never understand why some people have such hatred towards other people just because of their belief systems. And I understand where Friction is coming from, I've been on this for site for three months now, and I never seen so much hostility, towards people of different faiths. It's baffling to me, that's why (in this area of the forum in particular) it should be entitled "I don't know [insert profanity here] about [insert religion here] I'm just posting a thread to show how much I hate it."

So, I understand.

Upvote 0

seed757

Feb 20, 2006
✟9,176.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Now, now, it's okay to feel this way. Agreeing with the posters so far, people are often afraid of things they don't understand and things that are different from them. What usually ends up happening is the fear can turn into hate. Though, I would never understand why some people have such hatred towards other people just because of their belief systems. And I understand where Friction is coming from, I've been on this for site for three months now, and I never seen so much hostility, towards people of different faiths. It's baffling to me, that's why (in this area of the forum in particular) it should be entitled "I don't know [insert profanity here] about [insert religion here] I'm just posting a thread to show how much I hate it."

So, I understand.

I love that quote in the first paragraph.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We do not feel threatened by diversity or multiplicity.

We feel threatened by that which denies diversity and multiplicity.

Some of us have actually read your book, and we are not amused.

Upvote 0

seed757

Feb 20, 2006
✟9,176.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
We do not feel threatened by diversity or multiplicity.

We feel threatened by that which denies diversity and multiplicity.

Some of us have actually read your book, and we are not amused.

It was not my intent to pit Islam against Christianity. I was really speaking in general terms.

However, I do applaud you for admitting this characteristic in your understanding of your faith.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Actually I think it is the pressures of modern life to be more inter-related and that we all now live in a much more integrated world than say fifty years ago... now this causes at least two things...

One is fleeing from the pressure to unite or to have one world... so people flee from this pressure by denying it and in some cases fighting it..

The other course is to admit that we all live in one world and shoould learn better how to get along in it...

-Art:wave:

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aleister Crowley said:
The conscience of the world is so guilty that it always assumes that people who investigate heresies must be heretics; just as if a doctor who studies leprosy must be a leper. Indeed, it is only recently that science has been allowed to study anything without reproach.

Wow, this thread Godwinned pretty fast. Oh well, guess we'll talk Nazis. How many Nazis shared Hitler's beliefs, and how many were just obeying orders? You might be surprised how much a person will do simply because an authority figure told them to do it.

http://home.swbell.net/revscat/perilsOfObedience.html

Did Hitler truly blame the Jews, or were they a scapegoat for the problems of the Weimar republic, which allowed Hitler to rise to power as the leader of the third reich?

My ancestor was exiled for what he believed to be true.

Jesus was crucified for what he believed to be true.
[Bible]Matthew 26:64-66[/Bible]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

universalmessenger

Jun 12, 2007
✟920.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

I mean come on! Are people really that threatened by diversity and pluralism? What do people lose by simply appreciating (or at least respecting) others views that don't harm anyone?

*end of rant*
THANK YOU! I was wondering when someone else would get around to saying that. I thought it was just me that was offended by such behavior, Seed. I don't understand it at all! But I don't let it get to me. PERIOD. that's why i just spit these lyrics and keep it movin'. LOL.

Hate On Me - Jill Scott

If I could give you the world
On a silver platter
Would it even matter?
You'd still be mad at me

If I could find in all this
A dozen roses
Which I would give to you
You'd still be miserable

In reality, I'm gon' be who I be
And I don't feel no faults
For all the lies that you bought
You can try as you may
Break me down but I say
That it ain't up to you
Gone and do what you do

(Chorus)
Hate on me, hater
Now or later
'Cuz I'm gonna do me
You'll be mad, baby
(Go 'head and hate)
Go 'head and hate on me, hate on
'Cuz I'm not afraid of it
What I got I paid for
You can hate on me

Ooh, if I gave you peaches
Out of my own garden
And I made you a peach pie
Would you slap me high

What if I gave you diamonds
Out of my own womb
Would you feel the love in that,
Or ask "why not the moon"?

If I gave you sanity
For the whole of humanity,
Had all the solutions
For the pain and pollution

No matter where I live,
Despite the things I give,
You'll always be this way
So go 'head and....

(Chorus)

You cannot hate on me
'Cuz my mind is free
Feel my destiny
So shall it be

Jill Scott worded it BEST!!!

Upvote 0

universalmessenger

Jun 12, 2007
✟920.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's because the majority of people fear what they do not know, do not understand. This fear threatens them, so they react poorly, as we often see.
I believe much of this hate could be removed if people would just bother to learn about other ways of life. Get past the fear.. understand the others who live on this world.
No, it would not solve the problem for every last person - some people will just be filled with hate no matter much, blinded by it.. But many, well, if they just had the knowledge we would not see so much of this.
good answer. i agree.

Upvote 0

universalmessenger

Jun 12, 2007
✟920.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This is another big problem. When people actually make a small effort to learn, this is where they leave off. They do not check their facts. They do not go to many sources. I see many messages on myspace (especially on this time of year) being passed around, about 9/11 and how the Koran says this or that. None of it is true.. all it takes is a quick internet search to see that, but they just accept this as fact - for whatever reason - and pass it along again. Very few seem to want to put effort into understanding anything outside of their little corner of the world.. It's really sad to see.. :(

thank you. i agree with u here too. it is very sad indeed. it's also depressing to see that most people are ignorantly oblivious to their own bigotry. that's really sad and I see it all the time in NCR too.

Upvote 0

GettinInTune

Aug 14, 2007
✟15,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I am having a seriously difficult time with this. For the life of me, I can't seem to understand why there is so much animosity and malice towards those who my have a different worldview/belief system than one's self

Where is this coming from? Real life or online interaction at foru.ms? I admit that debating here is exacerbated by our wide spectrum of beliefs being shared in a small time frame.

While I butt heads with people in this forum, this hardly replicates my real-world interactions. I live harmoniously among people and think that we have more in common with our fellow man than we have differences.

Granted, every now and then I meet a person in real life who I butt heads with, but it is rarely so. On here, I tend to butt heads with more people in drastically small time frame due to the high volume of different opinions and beliefs that people share.

I have noticed that those shout the loudest and make ludicrous claims get a lot of attention

Upvote 0

dimwhitt

Jun 6, 2007
Washington D.C.
Visit site
✟15,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you elaborate, please?

the questuion was basically
"why cant we all get along and why dont we stop arguing about ideas (we all have em)"

my response was
we argue ideas because they have consequences
like Hitler's (crazy) idea that the Jews were responsible for Germany's Failures and needed to be eradicated

if no one challenged this there might not be any Jews to speak of today (if that were possible)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.