Pastor supporting Trayvon Martin defends church sign calling Zimmerman jury racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Superwoman shooting guns at her husband? Really? Really?

I will give both of you the benefit of the doubt that you both really dont know the real story because both of you are on the wrong side of the facts fron the Zimmerman case and can't be bothered with facts.

Ta-ta...
Superman firing guns at a teenager on the street? Really? Really?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How was Trayvon acting strange? He was walking slow and looking around at night time in area that had crime?????? Very strange.:D:D:D:D

Have you ever lived in Detroit?

I have. And my house has been targeted by thieves A LOT. We used to run an after school program at our church once a week. We had snacks and games and kinda nerdy dorky things that churches have. We had about 20 neighborhood kids that came, not all the time and not all at once, but we got to know them all. We knew their families, their stories, and they were kinda like our extended family.

So when our house was broken into, it didn't take long for some of our after school kids to find out who did it. The first time, nothing could be done because there was no proof. The second time, the cops caught the kids red handed down the block still with our stuff. They were also neighborhood kids but not part of the group that would come to the program.

One day during the after school program there were maybe 9-10 kids there, and conversation had gotten around to the robberies that took place. The kids told us why it was so easy for them to happen. Here is what they outlined for us about the criminal element in our 'hood:

1. When there are two people walking down the center of the street, even where there is a sidewalk, you will almost always find someone walking through the backyards of the houses on either side. The street walkers are signalling for cars in driveways

2. If you ever discover someone in your backyard who doesn't belong, chances are they are scoping out your house. A lot of people leave windows and curtains in their backyards open, making it easy to see what you have.

3. Avoid throwing out boxes for TVs and other fancy electronic items if possible. If you find someone scrounging in your trash, they're checking for these boxes and if they find them, your house moves up the list for possible hits.

4. If your doorbell rings and you answer it and there's no one there, it's probably not just a kid playing a prank. More than likely, they're scoping out whether someone is home or not.

5. Find out from your neighbors what kinds of cars they drive or what kinds could possibly be visiting and hanging around. Thieves often case out houses for schedules. Our house was robbed while my husband was living there before we were married as well, and those happened on nights where there was an Advent service at the church, and on a night where my husband had a meeting at church.

This is some of what they told us, so ultimately, these were things I looked for. Now...if I saw a person doing this, wearing a hoodie, on a rainy night, guess what? I'd call the police. It wouldn't matter to me what color they were. In my mind, because of how I know our neighborhood worked, they would be considered to be acting suspicious.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
See, the real reason why there will never be a serious "American conversation about race" is because people to whom racism does not affect are ignorant if the depth of it in the first place. Some are downright dismissive of it. I suppose that is natural that they would be ignorant of something like racism if it doesn't affect them because it is painful to see and experience. However, it is psychologically lazy, and highlights the privilege of not being affected by racism - true racism. For the people that are forced to live it every day in all of its facets, and then experience the ignorance and dismissal of what they go through do not even bother hoping for a better future on race relations.

When I was in the states, I respected Southern racism much more than the Northeastern racism because at least some southerners were blunt: you know what you are getting. Passive aggressive racism, and ignorance are the worst because there is no two-way acknowledgment of the problem. I am grateful there are some people in the world (and on this forum) that literally leap out of their comfort zones, and observe racism and prejudice for what it is anywhere in the world. But, those types of people are few and far in between. It takes a lot of mental fortitude to drop all of your previous prejudices and ignorance in exchange for open-mindedness, sociological vigilance, and empathy.
The bolded is very true. I think I have an inkling, because I have friends of many cultures and they talk to me about their experiences. They are not making these things up. I also notice how they are treated when we are all in a situation together. There is a difference. It is a marked difference. But I do not experience it myself, and that is the reality. I only see/hear secondhand. But hearing/seeing secondhand is bad enough.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's a great list, I mean awesome, and most of it is pretty obvious. I don't live in a high crime city or area, but we are still super cautious. But what does that have to do with a teenage boy walking down the street on his own, with some candy in his hand? What it has to do with is the vigilante who decided that this was his guy - this was the guilty party - and he acted on it.

I've said this before and i'll say it again, GZ will carry that with him for the rest of his life. And so he should.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have Hispanic friends who consider themselves white, some who refer to themselves as Mexican, others who say they are not white .. maybe that was his preference, maybe he calls himself white. I don't see that it matters. The fact is that he's not African American and Martin was, and he made the call based upon race.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about the Preacher's Wife right here that just said she was abused by her ex husband and who you responded to and asked her - with another of those oh so funny laughing icons - why she divorced that husband. Do you not believe her? Preacher's wife, this guy needs photos of your abuse? Oh, and he thinks it's funny that you divorced your abusive husband.

It's okay, Hetta. It doesn't bother me.

See, the real reason why there will never be a serious "American conversation about race" is because people to whom racism does not affect are ignorant if the depth of it in the first place.

IOW, if you aren't black, you can't really talk about racism, because you've never been discriminated against.

The quoted statement is a perfect example of why there can't be serious discussions. Racism affects EVERYONE.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a father I think firing a warning shot and not aiming at someone capable of hurting babies is really being a superwoman.

Funny thing is, she left the house, got a gun, comes back in, sees the kids getting ready to leave with their father then decides to open fire.

Oh and the "warning shots" was close to them.

In the real world we generally call that a "miss" not a "warning shot".

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
IOW, if you aren't black, you can't really talk about racism, because you've never been discriminated against.

The quoted statement is a perfect example of why there can't be serious discussions. Racism affects EVERYONE.

And lets not forget that the comment is racist on it's face.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have Hispanic friends who consider themselves white, some who refer to themselves as Mexican, others who say they are not white .. maybe that was his preference, maybe he calls himself white. I don't see that it matters. The fact is that he's not African American and Martin was, and he made the call based upon race.

I'm sorry the evidence shows that only racists in this case was Martin and his girlfriend and it's irrelevant what people consider themselves. Either you are or you aren't.

And if we want to play the "herp he's half white so he's white" card, then it's time to admit we still have never had a black president.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's a great list, I mean awesome, and most of it is pretty obvious. I don't live in a high crime city or area, but we are still super cautious. But what does that have to do with a teenage boy walking down the street on his own, with some candy in his hand? What it has to do with is the vigilante who decided that this was his guy - this was the guilty party - and he acted on it.

I've said this before and i'll say it again, GZ will carry that with him for the rest of his life. And so he should.

Because perhaps Travyon's actions that night were much like what I just spoke about. In the 911 call Zimmerman says Trayvon was just walking around looking about. Sure, seems innocent enough but who really just walks around looking about when it's raining?

All he did was call to report the suspicious behavior. he didn't say it was a black kid, he just reported the behavior. The dispatcher asked Z if the guy was black, white or hispanic. Z said the guy looked black.

Read for yourself.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry the evidence shows that only racists in this case was Martin and his girlfriend and it's irrelevant what people consider themselves. Either you are or you aren't.

And if we want to play the "herp he's half white so he's white" card, then it's time to admit we still have never had a black president.

Especially now that Jeantel went on tv and said "Trayvon was just gonna give him a whooping" because he thought he was "a gay rapist"................................

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Not to mention "Non-Hispanic/Latino White," and "White Hispanic/Latino" are U.S. Census demographics.

And, Hispanic is an offensive "lump/blanket" term to refer to people who happen to be from Spanish speaking countries (or were born to people from these places.) These people referred to as "Hispanic" often have no "Hispanic" ancestry. The term is from the Hispanola island - now known as the Dominican Republic/Haiti. It was a Spanish colony, and represents someone from Spain, or ancient Hispania. When you really get down to it, American "race" is really ignorant.

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So what you are saying is black leaders do not try to tackle these problems? You are saying that black leaders do not say "hey let's stop killing each other and work together?"

Why do you feel like this and why do you say that?

News Distribution Network - Shared Video
Just like Dr. MLK, we went to the same college :) ,

News Distribution Network - Shared Video
Same way the supported Trayvon's parents in a march????

THey don't do anything right?????????????

We as a community are fighting violence right now, what are you talking about?

Does he ever get to the root of the problem? The violent rap music that these kids listen to, or how over 70% of black children born out of wedlock? Without a father around to raise them.

Or is he just gonna make it a "it's whitey's fault" problem?

Or is he going to demand money from the government? No amount of money can fix broken families. The problem of black on black or black on anyone violence will be fixed when families get fixed. otherwise, we can just keep pouring in billions of more dollars into these schools and wonder why nothing changes.

By the way, remember that Chicago, being the murder capital of America last year, has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Putting a sign that says "No guns allowed" won't do you any good. Criminals don't follow laws.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention "Non-Hispanic/Latino White," and "White Hispanic/Latino" are U.S. Census demographics.

And, Hispanic is an offensive "lump/blanket" term to refer to people who happen to be from Spanish speaking countries (or were born to people from these places.) These people referred to as "Hispanic" often have no "Hispanic" ancestry. The term is from the Hispanola island - now known as the Dominican Republic/Haiti. It was a Spanish colony, and represents someone from Spain, or ancient Hispania. When you really get down to it, American "race" is really ignorant.
Right. That's why one of my friends says "I'm not 'Hispanic' I'm a Mexican. Period."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does he ever get to the root of the problem? The violent rap music that these kids listen to, or how over 70% of black children born out of wedlock? Without a father around to raise them.

Or is he just gonna make it a "it's whitey's fault" problem?

Or is he going to demand money from the government? No amount of money can fix broken families. The problem of black on black or black on anyone violence will be fixed when families get fixed. otherwise, we can just keep pouring in billions of more dollars into these schools and wonder why nothing changes.

By the way, remember that Chicago, being the murder capital of America last year, has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Putting a sign that says "No guns allowed" won't do you any good. Criminals don't follow laws.
Wow. "We can just keep pouring in billions .." Who are "we"? Who is "he"?

Yeah but people really aren't racist at all.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because perhaps Travyon's actions that night were much like what I just spoke about. In the 911 call Zimmerman says Trayvon was just walking around looking about. Sure, seems innocent enough but who really just walks around looking about when it's raining?

All he did was call to report the suspicious behavior. he didn't say it was a black kid, he just reported the behavior. The dispatcher asked Z if the guy was black, white or hispanic. Z said the guy looked black.

Read for yourself.

I'm sorry but I'm from the Bronx my family is from Jamaica one of the worst parts. I have been to the garrisons in Jamaica and I have been to ghetto in the bronx. When I walk at night I'm looking around I am aware and I am on my toes, he knew someone was following him. Have you ever been robbed on the street as you walked before? Have you ever knew someone that got shot during a robbery as they walked home?

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The bolded is very true. I think I have an inkling, because I have friends of many cultures and they talk to me about their experiences. They are not making these things up. I also notice how they are treated when we are all in a situation together. There is a difference. It is a marked difference. But I do not experience it myself, and that is the reality. I only see/hear secondhand. But hearing/seeing secondhand is bad enough.

You don't have to be penetrated to know rape when you see it.
You don't have be killed to know murder when you see it.
You don't have to be an alcoholic to recognize alcoholic addiction.

And, you don't have to experience racism to know it when you see it.

All of those example, and many others, do require one to be cognizant, open-minded, and without hindering prejudice to recognize. So, I am glad that you can see the prejudice and racism that is so very painful to people who experience it. And, it takes not being overwhelmingly fearful of the possibility that recognizing racism and prejudice may expose to you your own racism and prejudice. I think that latter statment is the real reason why people ignore racism, prejudice and bigotry: it sheds light on their thinking, and may convict them of past and present instances in which they were at some point instigators of the very problems they recognize. People that cant see real racism and prejudice aren't stupid, but many are ignorant - choosing to ignore it. Some even project, and call the person experiencing racism/prejudice/bigotry a racist/prejudiced/bigot in order to mask their own.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

So what now? Is it open season on young black men walking down a street? That's what I am afraid of. One guy got away with it - so now, that precedent has been set .. if you see a young black man walking down the street .. you can follow and shoot him. If I were a black mother, I would be locking my sons into their rooms and not let them out until they looked like Morgan Freeman - because he's 'safe' isn't he, Morgan? Or if he walked down the street, looking around, would someone shoot him too?

As for looking around when it's raining? LOL. I look around alllllllllll the time. Rain, sun, snow, sleet. What the heck is wrong with looking around?

Yeah, lock up your sons ..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.