Paraphrase bibles (The Message, Living bible, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I still say though - if this was merely a man's thoughts, feelings and flashes of inspiration rather than a Bible translation, why does he promote it and label it as a bible? That really is wrong, because some will read it and nothing else and believe they are getting pure, unadulterated scripture, which they are not.

All he had to do was be honest about what the book is - as have the authors of countless prayer books, inspired poetry, stories akin to parables, commentaries, re-written bible stories...they all have merit, but they do not make the false claim of being scripture. For that reason I can enjoy and learn from them.

Bible=library.

The word, "bible" is not a word to be revered. "Bible" doesn't mean "scripture".

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now that we have established that the KJV is the only inspired version, we now need to know which inspired KJV we are to use.

The Inspired Baptist KJV that teaches all the manifest gifts died with the apostles

The Inspired Church of Christ KJV that teaches instrumental music in church is a sin

The Inspired Pentecostal Oneness KJV that teaches there is no trinity

Perhaps we could use the Inspired Mormon version of the KJV or the Jehovah Witness version.

Have you ever thought that the power may not be in the word that’s printed?

Maybe it is the breath of the living God that inspires scripture (or doesn’t).

IMHO the Message is not my favorite paraphrase, but God has spoken to me through it and it is just one of several I read.

I do not idolize any of the translations. In themselves they are just books.

I worship the God they point to.

John O.

^_^

You are brilliant, John.

:thumbsup:

~Jim

It seems to be a universal irony that when people are free to do what they want they usually imitate one another.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now that we have established that the KJV is the only inspired version, we now need to know which inspired KJV we are to use.

The Inspired Baptist KJV that teaches all the manifest gifts died with the apostles

The Inspired Church of Christ KJV that teaches instrumental music in church is a sin

The Inspired Pentecostal Oneness KJV that teaches there is no trinity

Perhaps we could use the Inspired Mormon version of the KJV or the Jehovah Witness version.

Have you ever thought that the power may not be in the word that’s printed?

Maybe it is the breath of the living God that inspires scripture (or doesn’t).

IMHO the Message is not my favorite paraphrase, but God has spoken to me through it and it is just one of several I read.

I do not idolize any of the translations. In themselves they are just books.

I worship the God they point to.

John O.

I'm sorry John this post makes too much sense. You cannot be allowed to continue...because it is liable to result in unity and harmony among believers.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Controversial statement coming.

I'm not sure the bible is essential for growing in Christ. It helps, but is not essential.

Joshua 1:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Psalm 119: 103;105
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.

Acts 17:10-11
That very night the believers sent Paul and Silas to Berea. When they arrived there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul’s message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth.

John 17:8
For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.

It's kind of hard to know the Word, Jesus, without having heard the word. Growth comes from familiarizing, and internalizing and obeying Scripture, which God so patiently and perseveringly provided for us.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
not the one with that apocryphial thingy that them catholics have

But that was the one that was “authorized” by King James.

~Jim

It seems to be a universal irony that when people are free to do what they want they usually imitate one another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You characterize a whole group of people because they prefer the message Bible. What about someone who is slow mentally, who reads the Message Bible because it helps them understand in ways that literal translations cannot? Does that make that person less spiritual, than some one who is more educated, who knows how to correctly interpret, research and understand context and idioms above the ordinary person?

What about the lady who takes her Message Bible to the children's hospital and reads stories to the children because they can understand it's story outline whereas they could not understand the same thing read out of the NASB....does that make them less spiritual?

See how obsurd and degrading a statement like that can be?

You say that you want an actual translation...good for you...I love literal translations as well, but that does not make either one of us more spiritual than someone who reads only a paraphrase.

God is no respecter of persons or intellects.

That would be you interjecting your opinion over what I said into what I actually said, and I'm not about to feel guilty over it just because you are demonstrating your feelings here.

I'll say it again, those Christians who are growing and maturing spiritually will gravitate towards a more literal translation of GOD's word.

It would be hilarious to see a person with their message bible come on here and try to use it to justify some of the arguments we beat each other up with simply because such actions would be easily viewed as non-professional and immature. In fact, go ahead and do it.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would be you interjecting your opinion over what I said into what I actually said, and I'm not about to feel guilty over it just because you are demonstrating your feelings here.

I'll say it again, those Christians who are growing and maturing spiritually will gravitate towards a more literal translation of GOD's word.

It would be hilarious to see a person with their message bible come on here and try to use it to justify some of the arguments we beat each other up with simply because such actions would be easily viewed as non-professional and immature. In fact, go ahead and do it.

Which version is the “approved for beating each other over the head with” version?

John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have the honor to have been preaching for more than 20 years now and I have and do use the different paraphrase Bibles - including the Message in my preaching.

Not as a base, but as icing on the cake. They help illustrate certain verses.

I'll give you an example.

2 Cor 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. NKJV

This is perhaps one of my favorite verses to minister along the lines of. The Message actually amplifies it a bit in it's vernacular:

2 Cor 2: 14 In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life. But those on the way to destruction treat us more like the stench from a rotting corpse.

Is it the meat of the message? NO - but it sure makes good icing.

Do I use it extensively? Nope - but it's like anything - we have to be smart as an old cow -

Chew on the hay and spit out the sticks.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Which version is the “approved for beating each other over the head with” version?

John O.

The heaviest one of course.

Mind you that depends are you seeking a knock out, or just to stun?:p

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have the honor to have been preaching for more than 20 years now and I have and do use the different paraphrase Bibles - including the Message in my preaching.

Not as a base, but as icing on the cake. They help illustrate certain verses.

I'll give you an example.

2 Cor 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. NKJV

This is perhaps one of my favorite verses to minister along the lines of. The Message actually amplifies it a bit in it's vernacular:

2 Cor 2: 14 In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life. But those on the way to destruction treat us more like the stench from a rotting corpse.

Is it the meat of the message? NO - but it sure makes good icing.

Do I use it extensively? Nope - but it's like anything - we have to be smart as an old cow -

Chew on the hay and spit out the sticks.

Excellent, Joe. :thumbsup:

~Jim

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.