Paraphrase bibles (The Message, Living bible, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's my feelings on those who don't like paraphrase versions of the bible.

If you don't like them, don't read them.

I have a bunch of translations on my Iphone, and I tried reading 1 Samuel with The message, and I hated it. The Message is not my cup of tea.

However, I'm not against paraphrases, I like The living bible. Not to replace the standard translations ( I love the New King James) but as a change of pace.

I see no satanic conspiracies in the paraphrase versions nor do I see it as a part of the one world government religion. I think well meaning people saw a need for people who have a tough time with some translations and needed a change of pace.

I know for myself there are times I need a change of pace when it comes to scripture reading. I mean, how many times have I read certain parts of scripture? It becomes dry after awhile, only because of the repetition. A paraphrase can help make scripture that has become dry to me more interesting. A paraphrase version of scripture will not replace my standard version, but it is there for those dry times when I need something different for a few weeks.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi A,

That's my same feeling, and that is why I use CEV if I want to explain something in a similar context that is in line with the KJV and NKJV, which I use all the time.

I have a bunch of translations on my Iphone, and I tried reading 1 Samuel with The message, and I hated it. The Message is not my cup of tea.
Well, I don't know about The Message being a cup of tea, but it's filled to brim with false teaching and new age thinking and practicality.

However, I'm not against paraphrases, I like The living bible. Not to replace the standard translations ( I love the New King James) but as a change of pace.
Well, I like the CEV for such people who are struggling with the KJV and NKJV.

I see no satanic conspiracies in the paraphrase versions nor do I see it as a part of the one world government religion.
Wow, I thought that was only in the The Message? I didn't know that about the rest, such as TLB and CEV!

I think well meaning people saw a need for people who have a tough time with some translations and needed a change of pace.
Yep, that may be so, but The Message has gone overboard, and the only pace there in that version, was the wrong pace.

I know for myself there are times I need a change of pace when it comes to scripture reading.
Well, I guess my Army training solid, because I cant go past the NKJV, even though there are many hiccups in it as well, and then I go back to KJV and the Geneva (1595).

I mean, how many times have I read certain parts of scripture? It becomes dry after awhile, only because of the repetition. A paraphrase can help make scripture that has become dry to me more interesting.
Well, I can understand that, but I've never found His Word becom dry. An interesting perspective!

A paraphrase version of scripture will not replace my standard version, but it is there for those dry times when I need something different for a few weeks.
Well that's great A, but some who have expressed their views have replaced the standard version, and praise and promote The Message, which as far as I am concerned should be burnt with all sorts false paraphanalia.

But, like all good wise Christians they are always wary and alert for the "wiles of the enemy", and stay sober and viglant of false teaching and falseness.

And when those Christians express their concern and provide enough evidence to sink a ship, those unwise Christians who ignore the warnings of His Word to be aware, beware, and don't be unware, show where they really are.

Please don't take my comments as a rebuff or anything else, just expressing my two cents worth.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

good advice... if you don't like them, unless its life and death, keep strong opinions to yourself.... at the end of the day, does it really matter that much.

my preference is not The Message, i don't like it on the whole, the language in its attempt to be culturally relevant kills the passage, colouring it with the opinion (commentary) of the interpreter.

My everyday reading is the Complete Jewish Bible, however, a couple of months ago, someone in our congregation told me they really struggle with most bible versions, but hated The Message. I went out and bought them a New Living Translation which she loves and she takes it everywhere. I quite like it too on the whole, just not the introductions to the NT Books.

I see no satanic conspiracies in the paraphrase versions nor do I see it as a part of the one world government religion. I think well meaning people saw a need for people who have a tough time with some translations and needed a change of pace.

I cannot comment about people doing their own interpretive work, after all I did my own translation of Matthew (which is available online via my profile page.) Doing my own translation, using just greek dictionaries and copies of the LXX (to see how Israel interpreted OT concepts into Greek) was probably one of the most useful things I have ever done. It drives you into the 'real' text of the NT so you get to decide for yourself just how accurate and consistent bible translators have been, and how honest they have been with you (particularly when it comes to verb tenses in the book of Hebrews). If you're like me and have NO language skills I can actually recommend doing this. Simply download ISA (www.scripture4all.org) and e-sword (for its strong dictionaries and the awesome Brown-Driver-Briggs hebrew dictionary - leave's strong's in the dirt.)

I know for myself there are times I need a change of pace when it comes to scripture reading. I mean, how many times have I read certain parts of scripture? It becomes dry after awhile, only because of the repetition. A paraphrase can help make scripture that has become dry to me more interesting. A paraphrase version of scripture will not replace my standard version, but it is there for those dry times when I need something different for a few weeks.

don't spend a fortune on paper bibles, download e-sword and load it up for free, mine has the Amplified Version, Authorised Standard Version, English Standard Version, Good News Bible, God's Word, International Standard Version, King James Version, Literal Version, The Message, Revised Version, Complete Jewish Bible, The Scriptures, World English Bible, Young's Literal Version. I dread to think what all these would have cost.

I actually don't like paraphrases on the whole. I think if we need to understand what Jesus said, all we need to is familiarise ourselves with 2nd temple period. Books by Josephus lay a social, economic, political, military and religious framework. Books by Eidersheim do a good job as well. The Mishnah and Talmud (hardly touched by most Christians) are useful in providing an understanding of Jesus' arguments with sections of the pharasaic community and what the discussions were really about it. Books by Brad Young provide a good introduction to Jesus the Jew (as opposed to Jesus the Christian.) Hegg in his book The Letter Writer shows how the apostle Saul's entire theology was and always remained within the confines of pharasaic theology and Young in his book Paul the Jewish Theologian does a similar job.

It is all to easy to see Jesus and the Apostles as christians (in today's sense of the word), attending church and being baptised (only once)... what a sad false portrayal when they were Jews who remained loyal to the sect of Judaism to which they belonged. They were 'believers'. My encouragement to everyone - read more. Even my wife (who hates religious books) would agree (particularly about books by Brad Young - she enjoyed 'meet the rabbis' - but so did I.)

Steve

Upvote 0

rushingwind62

Debi1967 is the love of my life!!!!
Sep 24, 2005
Green Valley, IL.
✟10,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see using different translation of the bible as a problem either. Nor do I see using commentaries along with the bible. Different translations and commentaries can and does help many to understand God's word better. It gives us a much wider perspective.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I really enjoy the message Bible. Had I known it was so hated by some on this forum, I would not have even brought it up.

It's ironic really...I remember voluntarily burning modern translation Bibles growing up because I was taught that anything not KJV was evil.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the link to ISA. I installed and 'm finding it difficult to use. Is this a direct greek to english tool or does it use translations, such as the KJV?

its essentially a interlinear greek-english and hebrew-english. Depending on the mode you view, it will display strongs tags, parsing guide and the all important verb tense information. Its search funtions are where it comes into its own as you can search by greek/hebrew word or by strongs tag number.

i tend to use it in conjunction with e-sword particularly the brown-driver-briggs hebrew dictionary (much better than strongs as it displays the stem of the word and the mode in which it occurs.) BDB for e-sword is a free download as well.

It does not use translations per se', but does include the AV (KJV) for comparison. In translating it uses a mechanical approach known as a concordant translation (see the web site for more on what this means.)

Steve

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I really enjoy the message Bible. Had I known it was so hated by some on this forum, I would not have even brought it up.

It's ironic really...I remember voluntarily burning modern translation Bibles growing up because I was taught that anything not KJV was evil.

I enjoy reading a paraphase at times, it illuminates a passage where I probably would have passed it over if I'd been reading it in the NKJV or ETV. I'll read it in the message form and then go look it up in the orginal

I think its important to realise that opinions are like heads. Everybodys got one, and just because a person may have a strong opposing POV doesnt make them right. Go with God on this one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that paraphrase bibles are somehow inherently evil, I just think that they are a misguided work.

We are to rely upon The Holy Spirit to teach us and lead us into all truth, and He more than any man knows how to reveal the scripture to us since it was He who wrote them through mankind.

If I lean up mankind for understanding, I effectively limit myself of that true teaching.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that paraphrase bibles are somehow inherently evil, I just think that they are a misguided work.

We are to rely upon The Holy Spirit to teach us and lead us into all truth, and He more than any man knows how to reveal the scripture to us since it was He who wrote them through mankind.

If I lean up mankind for understanding, I effectively limit myself of that true teaching.

And I dont see any one speaking in favour of the message or any other bible stating that one is restricted to using one form of the bible.

I have several including the message, and find the combination gives me a much richer understanding of what the Gods word is saying

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
And I dont see any one speaking in favour of the message or any other bible stating that one is restricted to using one form of the bible.

I have several including the message, and find the combination gives me a much richer understanding of what the Gods word is saying

That's fine, but there was a person who was advocating The Message bible and praising it in a thread, and many folks on here downplayed it quickly, including myself.

For me, I want dependency upon GOD and HIS thoughts, I don't want to lean towards people's opinions over scripture since they are normally wrong a majority of the time. The more I'm seeking GOD the more I only want things revealed by HIM rather than depend upon these different fleshly viewpoints. That is the way I see them, as just fleshly viewpoints out of the bible committees or individuals that make these bibles.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

My dear brother, the word "hate" needs to be removed from your voculbary, by all standards Christians should never "hate"!

I am one person who speaks out about The Message, warning brothers and sisters of our Lord Jesus Christ of the distortions and misrepresentations of that water-down new age book, which isn't a Bible. Because I speak out it doesn't mean that I "hate" it, it means that I will do everything in my power to bring the attention of this false teaching book. Also, as being one of those on the forum who spoke out to you, giving you enough logical and Biblical reasons and giving Scripture comparisons of all the anomalies and discrepancies. Now, that isn't "hate"!

Will you kindly refrain from accusing other brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ of hating The Message. I never used that word "hate", and you shouldn't respond in that way toward others who have spoken out about The Message to warn other brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ of the false book.

By you posting here, it appears that you are carrying many burdens that need to be address. Please PM me!

Sorry A, for expressing my view on Twigy's posting, but he is expressing much hurt and bitterness that isn't necessary and is being directed toward others who were reasoning with him on another thread.

After all, we are discussing TLB, not The Message.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You've never experienced that? I have, many times. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Hi A, well can I say that I am going to get to that point, as I find church boring and as dry as bones. Amos 8:11 said that we are going to have a famine of His Word, and I find that so in this latter days of perilous times, the 21st Century.:)

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For me, I want dependency upon GOD and HIS thoughts, I don't want to lean towards people's opinions over scripture since they are normally wrong a majority of the time. The more I'm seeking GOD the more I only want things revealed by HIM rather than depend upon these different fleshly viewpoints. That is the way I see them, as just fleshly viewpoints out of the bible committees or individuals that make these bibles.

All translations have a particular viewpoint of the translator, therefore any translation apart from the original would be false?

Anyone searching for truth is getting closer to God. If the message moves you to seek truth, then use it.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
All translations have a particular viewpoint of the translator, therefore any translation apart from the original would be false?

Anyone searching for truth is getting closer to God. If the message moves you to seek truth, then use it.

The particular viewpoints of a more literal translation are quite minimal when compared against a outright paraphrase.

Seeking truth will normally drive you away from the more liberal versions. In reality, it would be better to just start with a more literal translations from the get-go.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My dear brother, the word "hate" needs to be removed from your voculbary, by all standards Christians should never "hate"!

I am one person who speaks out about The Message, warning brothers and sisters of our Lord Jesus Christ of the distortions and misrepresentations of that water-down new age book, which isn't a Bible. Because I speak out it doesn't mean that I "hate" it, it means that I will do everything in my power to bring the attention of this false teaching book. Also, as being one of those on the forum who spoke out to you, giving you enough logical and Biblical reasons and giving Scripture comparisons of all the anomalies and discrepancies. Now, that isn't "hate"!

Will you kindly refrain from accusing other brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ of hating The Message. I never used that word "hate", and you shouldn't respond in that way toward others who have spoken out about The Message to warn other brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ of the false book.

I am not accusing anyone of anything. I just made a statement.

By you posting here, it appears that you are carrying many burdens that need to be address. Please PM me!

Sorry A, for expressing my view on Twigy's posting, but he is expressing much hurt and bitterness that isn't necessary and is being directed toward others who were reasoning with him on another thread.

After all, we are discussing TLB, not The Message.:)

I am not directing anything at anyone...what is the deal...please stop...stop psycho analyzing me...please stop reading things into posts that are not there...please stop falsely accusing me of being off topic.

If I wanted to express hurt, anger and or bitterness I promise you and everyone else on here would know it.

And this thread is not just about TLB...if you will notice...the Message is part of the topic.

I will PM you Elijah, but I will not argue with you, nor am I interested in you lecturing me on how the Message Bible is "new age."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.