• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Oh nightmares please stop.

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i live in a sinful house. I deal with drug addiction I have had past trauma but what confuses me the most is no one including me knows what's causing these nightmares. Day to day things make themselves into the trauma I dealt with in 05. The thing is the nightmares didn't start until 2010. Which I know going thrunanpsychosis thinking the jail I was in was a human slaughterhouse and they gave me no advocate to help me. I couldn't even understand what the clergy was saying while he was talking to me. I got out in two months. Lost my ex went thru the psychosis for five more months.

I take accountability for doing drugs that left me in that state but I needed to be in a psych ward and not a jail. Today I have had nightmares a every night. Something I enjoy start to become triggers because my nightmares have parts of what I enjoy in them thus making them extremely hard to get over. Ugh idk. Is there anyone here that can relate?

Reactions: LaSorcia

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i live in a sinful house. I deal with drug addiction I have had past trauma but what confuses me the most is no one including me knows what's causing these nightmares. Day to day things make themselves into the trauma I dealt with in 05. The thing is the nightmares didn't start until 2010. Which I know going thrunanpsychosis thinking the jail I was in was a human slaughterhouse and they gave me no advocate to help me. I couldn't even understand what the clergy was saying while he was talking to me. I got out in two months. Lost my ex went thru the psychosis for five more months.

I take accountability for doing drugs that left me in that state but I needed to be in a psych ward and not a jail. Today I have had nightmares a every night. Something I enjoy start to become triggers because my nightmares have parts of what I enjoy in them thus making them extremely hard to get over. Ugh idk. Is there anyone here that can relate?

Is it possible that you are taking a certain medication that causes nightmares? I was taking a bunch of meds at one time and then I had nightmares every night of being eaten alive by dinosaurs. When I stopped taking the med effexor the nightmares slowly went away. It might be that your traumatized from your time in psychosis though. I don't know.

Reactions: dabro
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was on a medication called Fluvoxetine, and a few days after starting it I began to have night terrors and sleep paralysis. When something like that starts to happen, my mom would always say "Are you taking anything different?" A medication, an herbal supplement, anything.

If you have answered no to that, then this is my opinion (I am an SRA survivor) - The trauma you endured is trying to get your attention. Until you face the feelings behind it, as horrible and uncomfortable and scary as they may be, it will keep poking at you. You may need to do this with a therapist, a mentor, a good friend - someone you trust to open up to. Talking it out helps to feel those feelings you have avoided feeling for so long. Once you are able to grieve what happened (let Jesus hold you through it all), your wounds will begin to heal. "Easier said than done". Yes, I know that all too well. With every memory that surfaces I think I won't survive the awfulness of facing it. But I do. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, to look into the face of my pain, accept it, feel it, grieve it, let it go. But I promise, once you do that, it loses its power over you, it can no longer haunt you or hurt you.

I pray for you, dabro, because I know. Know Jesus is right there with you every step of the way and let Him comfort you in it all.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It honestly could be all the medication I'm on.

Prozac

Klonopin

Seroqoel

Remeron

Sonata

Effexor

Risperdal

Gabapentin

Eight meds maybe jacking up my head because normally when I person has trauma they have nightmares right after it. Not five years from when the psychosis happened.

Believe me it was scary but I'm trying to get it in my head that it maybe meds and have to live with it. I have such a hard time coming off medication too.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
hi dabro

You DO NOT have to "live with it". Your doctors are there to help you, but they do make mistakes (I have endured decades of medication changes). If something isn't right, especially something as important as sleep (which you need help with by seeing Sonata on your list) you need to say something.

In going through your med list here are possible trigger points of your nightmares -

Remeron - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=remeron+causing+nightmares
Gabapentin - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fibromyalgia/comments/2rv7e2/gabapentin_nightmares/ (I myself had troubles with nightmares on this one, as has loved ones. It is usually given to calm nerve pain, such as fibromyalgia and diabetic neuropathy, but is also used by psychiatrists as a sleep aid. Personally, I think it does more harm than good as far as sleep goes.)
Effexor - http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/opinions/10677

I am not a doctor, but I have been a patient since 1995 and have been through A LOT of medications. Sometimes the problem is just one med, but sometimes it's that some meds are causing odd reactions with others.

My advice - talk to the prescribing doctor about this and work out a plan to see which one is causing trouble (I would ask to be weaned from the Gabapentin first and see if things improve once it's out of your system). You don't have to suffer like this. Medication is supposed to help you, not increase your suffering. Don't let them tell you that "that is not a known side effect" because you know your own body and you know when something is off.

You CAN find a combination that works, that helps you feel better, so be patient as you and your doctor try to work this out.

Praying for you.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I started seeing a therapist. She says I have never been loved the way I should of been. My whole life to my dads tone of voice to my mom just saying take him to job corps. I went awal and started smoking meth. I used many drugs until the point I went over the edge and into a psychosis.

I take accountability for using drugs. It was a stupid decision. But I was never given the hope since I was born that I could be something special. When I gave my life to the Lord a year after my psychosis God told me in impressions that He can make me the next Billy Graham. God said I was that special to Him.

Its when I started see the doctor I lost all insight into what God called me to be, instead I labeled myself bipolar, OCD. And just recently PTSD. Now do I have to go thru this journey in order to be what God set me out to be. I don't know. All I'm saying is that the therapist says I am special to everyone and to God. I am highly esteemed and I have blamed myself when the blood of Christ has washed away everything.

So I guess I have to go through this to see the future God has planed for me.

Upvote 0

LickedByaDog

Bewilderated
May 15, 2016
the wine cellar
✟16,449.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I would like to build on what PropheticTimes said (which I agree with) .

Learning about what you are taking (google them) & about the nature of your problems would be a good start to taking ownership of your problems, which I have found is the only real way out of problems that are in the mind & heart, sure others help but you have to take ownership, the medical system we have in the west is based on us giving our selves over to third parties who often don't really have our best interests at heart.

Just an opinion but that looks like way too many meds, they can't possibly know what that amount of meds will do all mixed together, esp when they don't even know why some do what they do.

Reading between the lines I would guess that you keep going back to the Doc & he / she has no real idea what to do with you so they prescribe yet another drug, please go & get a second opinion & see if you can stop at least some of them.

Critical thinking & discernment are skills that can be learned but are not taught in schools, distancing yourself from your own thoughts is also a big part of it, there are plenty of free tutorials on youtube etc, being brought up by crazy parents can leave anyone floundering with thought processes that create problems.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something I enjoy start to become triggers because my nightmares have parts of what I enjoy in them thus making them extremely hard to get over. Ugh idk. Is there anyone here that can relate?

What type of dreams are you having? I used to have trouble with an occasional dream with sexual content, I found that the way to overcome these dreams is to not meditate on them or think about them. I believe that the type of dream I was having was coming from Satan, by ignoring in the day time, it had no effect on me, as my mind was not focused on it.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We took or I forced myself to quit gabapentin. My nightmares subsided. I did have one last night and woke up anxious but it's all good. I had to force myself off the gabapentin because if I take it in large amounts I can get high.

It was the only medication I was abusing that was causing me to go through what I had to early. After I finally gave it to a God and He showed me what to do. I laid it down. Yes I have cravings for it but it seems from the time they put me on that back in Dec 2012 to now I have been having the worst sorts of dreams. The y where kinda like the devil attacking me through the temptations I was giving into and now he has nothing to attack me with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The y where kinda like the devil attacking me through the temptations I was giving into and now he has nothing to attack me with.

Yes this sort of thing can happen. Even some times when we are not sinning we will still be tested in a dream, trying to draw us back into the sin. But is good to hear you have over come it.

Upvote 0

Floodland

Aug 8, 2016
Salem, OR 97304, USA
✟15,321.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello dabro brother I feel for you man. I've been on half of those medications and am still on klonopin so I can sort of relate to some extent. My main advice to you would be to never increase your dosage on the klonopin and to be praying every single day while also spending at least a little bit of time in the New Testament each day too. How are you holding up now?

Upvote 0