Goldsboro NC
✟172,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So the issue isn’t abortion, but poisoning. I still think the punishment is too light, but at least it’s clear that you don’t think this is an abortion issue.
The issue is that the man attempted to cause an abortion. There is no pussyfooting around that..

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So the issue isn’t abortion, but poisoning. I still think the punishment is too light, but at least it’s clear that you don’t think this is an abortion issue.
Incorrect.

But I feel that you often lead me into conversations like this that are minefields for bans. So im not going to discuss this topic anymore with you.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Incorrect.

But I feel that you often lead me into conversations like this that are minefields for bans. So im not going to discuss this topic anymore with you.

I think technically it ceases to be an abortion legally when the child survives.

I'm honestly not sure on that.

I think we could say an attempted murder on the child since there's clearly intent.. But that office did what it felt it could do, and I'm not a lawyer.

We could argue about it all day long but it makes the man no less a monster than when this began. All we are doing in the end is agreeing the charges on him were too light, but there's so many potential reasons for that we just don't know.

But I am glad you believe this man was charged far too lightly. It's nice to see agreement between the right and the left here.

He tried to murder a child by inducing abortion. We agree.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The issue is that the man attempted to cause an abortion. There is no pussyfooting around that..
That’s different than poisoning his wife.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect.

It’s not a minefield. Either he wanted to cause an abortion or he wanted to poison his wife. It can’t be both.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It’s not a minefield. Either he wanted to cause an abortion or he wanted to poison his wife. It can’t be both.
If one side of the debate cannot be expressed fully or in part, rest assured, it's a mine field

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If one side of the debate cannot be expressed fully or in part, rest assured, it's a mine field
I can say that he either wanted to poison his wive, or cause an abortion without approving or promoting either activity.

You said “Please convince me these rules are not really just rules in place to control women.” If it’s just poisoning, then I don’t see the relevance of your statement. But you pointed out the disparity between a doctor doing it and the husband doing something similar. I really don’t think you meant to say that a doctor might poison the woman. I know that because you said, “A DOCTOR who would be performing an abortion AT the patient's REQUEST....can receive a life time in prison.” So just be honest and state that you don’t think the husband should face a harsher judgment because he poisoned his wife, but because he tried to do what an abortion doctor would receive a harsh sentence for.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I can say that he either wanted to poison his wive, or cause an abortion without approving or promoting either activity.

You said “Please convince me these rules are not really just rules in place to control women.” If it’s just poisoning, then I don’t see the relevance of your statement. But you pointed out the disparity between a doctor doing it and the husband doing something similar. I really don’t think you meant to say that a doctor might poison the woman. I know that because you said, “A DOCTOR who would be performing an abortion AT the patient's REQUEST....can receive a life time in prison.” So just be honest and state that you don’t think the husband should face a harsher judgment because he poisoned his wife, but because he tried to do what an abortion doctor would receive a harsh sentence for.
I gotta tell ya. It feels like entrapment when a mod for this site is setting me up to make a comment "that can be seen as support for abortion".

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please convince me these rules are not really just rules in place to control women. It's not even a matter of consistency; this ruling just appears to make it blatant. And I'm sure the judge in this case ruled as harshly as he saw fit. Isn't it nice that they were willing to negotiate a plea deal with this.....man.
I can’t convince you of that, because it isn’t about “life,” but control. Even very light pressing shows even they don’t think a fetus is an independent life, or a life at all, or at least not one deserving of the same treatment as a born person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes it can. He wanted to poison his wife with the goal of causing her bodily harm via miscarriage.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
He poisoned her with the intention of causing an abortion. The poisoning was the method, but the goal was the abortion.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I gotta tell ya. It feels like entrapment when a mod for this site is setting me up to make a comment "that can be seen as support for abortion".
I never said that at all. You’re the one that made this about abortion, and then did a 180 and made it about poisoning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He poisoned her with the intention of causing an abortion. The poisoning was the method, but the goal was the abortion.
So his intent was to kill the unborn child. That’s what the OP was originally about.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What was his goal again?
Listen, I’m so far above and beyond playing into the tap dance of those who enjoy being playing obtuse. So, if you’re looking for another audience member for your “he didn’t poison her, he only gave her poisonous amounts of something that is toxic when you have too much of it” show, you’ll have to keep looking because I’m not it. The distinction you’re trying to make not only makes no logical sense and makes you look all the sillier the more it goes on, but it has no point. We are all well aware that to the anti-abortion crowd, the woman is disposable and what happens to her is irrelevant, so there’s no need to keep bringing it up.

He poisoned her in an attempt to cause an abortion, period. If he had shot her in the stomach to cause an abortion, we don’t say “he tried to cause an abortion with a gun,” we say he shot her. Your stance is just silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States