Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only through Jesus Christ can we say, ‘I choose to love you now and in every moment thereafter.’

Of all the maxims I’ve seen ascribed to Mother Teresa, my absolute favorite is the one which, were it only to be applied everywhere, would at once free us from all the busybodies telling us what to think and how to behave:

If You Want to Change the World,
Go Home and Love Your Family.
The problem with that, of course, which any half-wit can see, is that most of the world’s busybodies haven’t got families. Or, if they do, they’re so dysfunctional that it hardly matters what they do when they go there. This may explain why the world is in such a mess. Without families, which are foundational to the maintenance of healthy human life, chaos ensues. Existence becomes a Hobbesian nightmare, a state of savagery in which all is “nasty, brutish, solitary, and short.”

I’ve been thinking a good deal about families lately, the result I suppose of having recently found myself snowbound in Colorado, where, surrounded by a great many small children of whom I happen to be their grandfather, I was forced to discover, all over again, the joys of family life. And the terrors — one of which involved my being strapped onto an indoor Ferris Wheel in the company of a 4-year squealing with undisguised delight. The ride was less than 10 minutes, but not since the Vietnam War have I prayed so hard for it to be over.

Continued below.