Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I admire your passion, enthusiasm and loyalty. However, if we go by opinion polls, he just isn't cutting the mustard.

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

I agree that opinion polls change with the weather and I don't put a lot of stock in them until we get down to the final moments of the election cycle. It is, however, interesting to see how quickly his numbers came down since they took out Osama bin Laden.

Another issue is with the RNC website thing. Many of us (conservatives) don't give the RNC a whole lot of credit these days. To many of us, the RNC has been lacking in it's ability to put out candidates that republicans would actually vote for. Besides, this site you have cited appears to have a 'typo'. Considering the RNC's track record, it's not surprising. The California RNC is flat-out lame. How else can anyone explain the length of Barbara Boxer's tenure.

If the election were held today, between Mitt Romney or even Perry of Texas, and Obama, I really believe we would have a republican president. I just don't see Obama overcoming the horrible record he has on the economy and jobs. So far, I don't really get a warm fuzzy feeling about any of the GOP candidates, either. With Obama, however, I get a cold chill.

Speaking of Obama's record...
remember when the left was saying things were bad because Obama inherited such a terrible unemployment of 5% and that the economy was bad because of Bush. Me thinks Obama gots some splain'n to do.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Bachmann's got charisma and the Right is loving the whole "strong woman" angle, but if Perry steals her Evangelical thunder, she'll wilt quickly.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. If there are no others entering the race, I'd imagine Perry making the move to the lead. I just don't think that Bachmann has the base needed to get her all the way to the nomination. I believe that over the next couple of months, Bachmann will be running #2, or even #3 behind Perry and Romney.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of Obama's record...
remember when the left was saying things were bad because Obama inherited such a terrible unemployment of 5% and that the economy was bad because of Bush. Me thinks Obama gots some splain'n to do.

Hey, now he's blaming tsunamis in Japan, Oil prices and the "Arab Spring" for the economic disaster going on right now. Maybe Bush had something to do with those events, too. ;)

It couldn't be because of the economic ineptitude of the current administration..... nah, impossible. ^_^

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟912,767.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Uh,......... no. I really doubt that. ;)
Perhaps I should have phrased it that judging by today's standards he appears moderate left. ^_^ I recently watched the PBS special on Reagen. It really brought back to me that even though I did not agree with his stance on a number of issues I have to credit him for being willing to place the good of the country as he saw it before his own personal desires.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps I should have phrased it that judging by today's standards he appears moderate left. ^_^ I recently watched the PBS special on Reagen. It really brought back to me that even though I did not agree with his stance on a number of issues I have to credit him for being willing to place the good of the country as he saw it before his own personal desires.

I really think that is one reason for his broader appeal. He seemed more genuine, and truly practiced what he preached. I was able to go up to see the Reagan Library during vacation this year. It was interesting to see how many people were there of all different political variations. I got to talk to a couple that I would describe as "very left of center". They didn't agree with a lot of what Reagan did, necessarily, but they had a respect for him that came more from him being "real". He didn't do or say things in order to gain favor with any 'group' in particular. He was just himself.

It's a similar thing I hear from others about him. Seems he still has that appeal. It sure would be nice to find another like him..... Democrat or Republican.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. If there are no others entering the race, I'd imagine Perry making the move to the lead. I just don't think that Bachmann has the base needed to get her all the way to the nomination. I believe that over the next couple of months, Bachmann will be running #2, or even #3 behind Perry and Romney.

Perry's got two strong points:
  1. He's generated jobs in Texas
  2. his appeal to the Religious Right
Unfortunately, Most of the jobs perry created in Texas were either government jobs (so much for a small-government conservative!) or big energy jobs which came because Texas regulations (whcih lie somewhere between lax and missing) make the state friendly to big business, but unfriendly to just about everyhting else.

Sneak a peek under the hood, and you see Texas near the bottom of the barrel in education, health care, and the environment. Houston has long since surpassed Los Angeles as America's smoggiest city, and their schools rank 34th in the country.

Once you see through the smoke and mirrors of point #1, point #2 isn't going to be enough to carry Perry.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, Most of the jobs perry created in Texas were either government jobs (so much for a small-government conservative!) or big energy jobs which came because Texas regulations (whcih lie somewhere between lax and missing) make the state friendly to big business, but unfriendly to just about everyhting else.

Sneak a peek under the hood, and you see Texas near the bottom of the barrel in education, health care, and the environment. Houston has long since surpassed Los Angeles as America's smoggiest city, and their schools rank 34th in the country.

Once you see through the smoke and mirrors of point #1, point #2 isn't going to be enough to carry Perry.

Well,..... not from what I've been able to find.

L.A. Still the Smoggiest City in America: LAist

In fact, most of the top ten are right here in California. Even with all the 'clean air' regulations we have here, we still top the list. Ahhhh.... something we here in California can take some pride in... *cough*

Regarding education, we here in California don't fair a whole lot better than Texas. We spend nearly twice as much per student as Texas but the quality of education isn't a whole lot higher. (68% graduation rate compared with Texas at 65%)

Granted, Texas has employment that consists of oil interests. They are less regulated than here in California and that is obvious by the fact that unemployment here (11.8%) is higher than in Texas (8.2%). I also don't see Texas turning into some kind of toxic waste dump, and California is certainly no 'Garden of Eden'.

No, the things you list here wouldn't get me to not vote for Perry. However, the fact that we already had one governor of Texas as president might get me to reconsider. I don't want another Bush in the White House.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Regarding education, we here in California don't fair a whole lot better than Texas. We spend nearly twice as much per student as Texas but the quality of education isn't a whole lot higher. (68% graduation rate compared with Texas at 65%)

Interesting how Texas test scores went up only after Texas rewrote their state tests.

Granted, Texas has employment that consists of oil interests. They are less regulated than here in California and that is obvious by the fact that unemployment here (11.8%) is higher than in Texas (8.2%). I also don't see Texas turning into some kind of toxic waste dump, and California is certainly no 'Garden of Eden'.

The difference is, I don't see Arnold boasting about a "California Miracle."

No, the things you list here wouldn't get me to not vote for Perry. However, the fact that we already had one governor of Texas as president might get me to reconsider. I don't want another Bush in the White House.

There's always that, too. The inevitable Bush/Perry comparisons which will be used to support him in the primary will come back to bite him in the actual election.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

You can bank on the fact that #2 won't be as strong this time around as it was for Bush in 2000. Many Midwest religious folk for example, are putting social issues to the side for now to deal with the economy.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟912,767.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I really think that is one reason for his broader appeal. He seemed more genuine, and truly practiced what he preached. I was able to go up to see the Reagan Library during vacation this year. It was interesting to see how many people were there of all different political variations. I got to talk to a couple that I would describe as "very left of center". They didn't agree with a lot of what Reagan did, necessarily, but they had a respect for him that came more from him being "real". He didn't do or say things in order to gain favor with any 'group' in particular. He was just himself.

It's a similar thing I hear from others about him. Seems he still has that appeal. It sure would be nice to find another like him..... Democrat or Republican.

Agreed. Unfortunately our political climate discourages people of real character from running. No one who respects themselves would be willing to go through the meat grinder that is a modern political campaign.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. Unfortunately our political climate discourages people of real character from running. No one who respects themselves would be willing to go through the meat grinder that is a modern political campaign.

I think Obama has real character.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Interesting how Texas test scores went up only after Texas rewrote their state tests.

I believe they did that out here too. California has some pretty creative ways of denying the truth and painting over the disastrous condition of our states economy.

The difference is, I don't see Arnold boasting about a "California Miracle."

Arnold isn't boasting about much of anything right now. (Besides surviving the divorce from Maria.) Honestly, there was nothing miraculous about his tenure as governor. He was a joke. Then the people of the state elect that political re-tread, Jerry Brown. Probably because most voters here are too young to remember what a disaster he was as governor in his last attempt. Our state is doomed.

There's always that, too. The inevitable Bush/Perry comparisons which will be used to support him in the primary will come back to bite him in the actual election.

I agree. I kind of wonder if he will survive the primary because of that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LUColt27

The hottest thing since sunburn
Oct 16, 2008
✟8,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right now, I'm on the fence about the possibility of a second term for Obama. The guy has embraced programs and ideas that have backfired worse than John Candy's car in Uncle Buck, but the republicans have been just as bad. Their candidates haven't impressed me thus far, and they'll have to do a lot better before I decide to cast my vote for a republican. Of course, I'm not voting for Obama either, so we'll see what happens.

Upvote 0