Noah wasn't a "preacher." He didn't "preach" to anyone.

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
One verse does not establish a fact. One phrase within a verse does not establish anything. Other verses always back up anything that we are to accept as a fact! There is only one exception to this rule. Some verses teach about God's sovereignty and can stand alone, 2Chron 20:6, Psalm 115:3, Psalm 135:6, Ecc 3:19, Dan 4:35, Job 13:13, and Is 14:24. But, the doctrine of God's sovereignty is also shown through many other verses, showing that in Scripture, other verses are always used to establish doctrines, or are found as a part of the Jewish culture and history.
English translations are not accurate word-for-word translations of Scripture. No two English translations are exact duplicates of each other. There are English translations that have added verses not found in any original text and other English translations that have removed words and verses from original texts. And others that have changed the original text. Anything found in the New Testament can always be referenced by the same or similar teaching in the Old.

In English translations, 2Pet 2:5 states that Noah was a "preacher of righteousness." You have to ask yourself, "Why is that said?" Why is that part of the verse, and to what Old Testament passage or example is Peter referring? Nowhere in the Old Testament do we see Noah "preaching" to anybody! In all of Scripture, there is only one example of "preaching righteousness," Psalm 40:9. How many hundreds of years between Noah and the Psalms being written? No other person is called a "preacher of righteousness. This phrase is only found once in English translations. I'll say it again, just because something is said in a translation doesn't mean it is true or found in the original Scripture. "Preaching righteousness" is not a theme or practice in Scripture.
There were no "preachers" in Noah's day. The English word "preacher" isn't used until the book of Ecclesiastes, and even there, the word is an incorrect translation of the Hebrew word qoheleth. The practice of "preaching" is not found in Scripture until we reach the Gospels. Preaching is teaching/proclaiming Scripture. There was no Scripture, God's written word, in the days of Noah.

We don't see Jehovah commanding Noah to "preach" anything. Noah wasn't a prophet foretelling the coming disaster. Let's look at what Scripture says.

Gen 6:5-7 "...And the LORD said I will destroy man...from the face of the earth..."

Pretty simple, Jehovah said He was going to destroy man, all of mankind.

Gen 6:8-9 But Noah found Grace in the eyes of the LORD. Noah was a just man, blameless among the people, and he walked with God.

Gen 6:13 And God told Noah, "The end of all flesh is come before me...behold I will destroy them with the earth."

Gen 6:17 "...And I will bring a flood upon the earth to destroy all flesh...everything in the earth shall die."

Gen 6:18 But with you, Noah, I will establish my covenant. And you, your wife, your sons, and their wives will go into the ark.

When Jehovah gave Noah instructions for building the ark, He didn't mention having extra space for anyone on the earth who would repent and go into the ark. Jehovah was specific about the number of people who would enter the ark. He didn't add, "and anybody who repents." We see three times Jehovah where He stated that He was going to destroy all people on the earth.
From the end of chapter 6, until Noah enters the ark, 100-120 years pass. To build the massive ark, using only hand tools, would have taken long days of constant work. As far as we know, Noah only had his three sons to help him. When would Noah have had any time to walk around the people "preaching righteousness?" Righteousness means to live right and do the right things. How would preaching righteousness have helped people Jehovah clearly stated He was going to destroy? Preaching righteousness does not mean preaching repentance. Preaching righteousness would have nothing to do with warning people about the coming flood. Where do you see Noah spending time preaching? Jehovah had told Noah three times He was going to destroy all people. Why would Noah waste any time on a lost cause? If Noah had "preached repentance," doesn't it make sense that Peter would have said that Noah was a "preacher of repentance?" If the Old Testament showed Noah being a "preacher of righteousness," I wouldn't be doing this study. I base what I study and believe on what I find in Scripture, not a tradition of man, not popular Evangelical teaching.
Let me debunk another lie. Where do we see Noah being mocked by people? We don't see Noah having even one conversation with another person while he built the ark. It would have been impossible to keep other people from being aware of the ark being built due to its size and the time frame. How is it that we don't see any interference with the construction? I have no doubt God kept the wicked, violent people from being able to see the ark. Knowing people, there is no doubt that evil people would have burned up the ark if they had seen it or even killed Noah and his family. In Mat 24:37-39, Jesus said the people on the earth were unaware of the coming flood.

Gen 7:1 Jehovah instructs Noah and his house to enter the ark.

Gen 7:4 Jehovah repeats that He is going to destroy all people in the flood.

Gen 7:16 God shuts the door.

Some may think that the flood was some gradual rising of the water. Gen 7:11 describes a great onslaught of water from the ground and the sky. The amount of water was so great that all of the people and animals on the face of the earth were underwater in minutes, instantly drowned, like a tsunami. There wouldn't have been any time for people to try and climb up on anything to escape the "slowly rising water." The flood caught them completely off guard.

This wasn't the only time Jehovah sent sudden destruction upon people without warning. When He drowned Pharoah's army, Sodom and Gomorrah, and when the walls of Jericho came crashing down. We know that Noah was righteous in Jehovah's eyes, Gen 7:1, Eze 14:14, 20. There are three possible reasons why we find the phrase "a preacher of righteousness" in 2Pet 2:5:

1 At some point, a person making a copy of a Greek text added the phrase. Others then copied the altered copy, and it was accepted as a part of the original text over time. This is what I believe happened. Since there is no reference to a "preacher of righteousness" anywhere in Scripture, it would make sense if Peter had written "a righteous man," which would have referenced the Old Testament.

2 There are a number of extrabiblical writings that state that Noah preached to people. Perhaps Peter was aware of this and decided to include it. But, extrabiblical literature was not included in the Canon for a reason.

3 It's possible that Peter used the phrase as a metaphor for describing how Noah was a preacher of righteousness by how he lived his life.

C
Clare73
Your opening statement above is contrary to one verse establishing a NT fact in Col 2:11-12.

How many times does the word of God have to say it before it is true?
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You have to ask yourself, "Why is that said?"
2 Peter 2:5 refers to Noah and his role as a "preacher of righteousness" before the flood. The verse states, "if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others."

The message of this verse is that God punished the wickedness of the ancient world by bringing the flood, but he protected Noah and his family because of Noah's righteousness and his obedience to God's commands. The mention of Noah as a "preacher of righteousness" emphasizes the importance of faith and obedience to God, and the need to turn away from sin and follow his ways.

In the larger context of the passage, 2 Peter 2 is a warning against false teachers and their destructive influence. The message is that, just as God punished the wickedness of the ancient world, he will also judge and punish false teachers and those who follow their destructive ways. The chapter emphasizes the importance of remaining faithful to God and his teachings, and of rejecting false teachings and those who promote them.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One verse does not establish a fact. One phrase within a verse does not establish anything. Other verses always back up anything that we are to accept as a fact!
Yes, but just because something isn't spelled out, or described in detail, in Scripture, it doesn't mean that it wouldn't have happened.
Noah was a righteous man who walked faithfully with God, Genesis 6:9. The people around him were wicked and did not, Genesis 6:5. Just because we are not told that Noah was mocked, or criticised, for following God and being faithful to him, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Don't you think that someone would have noticed his different lifestyle?
As you said yourself, it took years to build the ark. Don't you think that someone might have noticed and asked him why he was doing it? When they did, don't you think that Noah might have said that he was obeying God and keeping his family, and animals, safe from the flood?

God can be preached, or proclaimed, without words - even the heavens declare his glory, Psalm 19:1. They have no speech, yet their voice is heard throughout the world, Psalm 19:3-4.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One verse does not establish a fact. One phrase within a verse does not establish anything. Other verses always back up anything that we are to accept as a fact! There is only one exception to this rule. Some verses teach about God's sovereignty and can stand alone, 2Chron 20:6, Psalm 115:3, Psalm 135:6, Ecc 3:19, Dan 4:35, Job 13:13, and Is 14:24. But, the doctrine of God's sovereignty is also shown through many other verses, showing that in Scripture, other verses are always used to establish doctrines, or are found as a part of the Jewish culture and history.
English translations are not accurate word-for-word translations of Scripture. No two English translations are exact duplicates of each other. There are English translations that have added verses not found in any original text and other English translations that have removed words and verses from original texts. And others that have changed the original text. Anything found in the New Testament can always be referenced by the same or similar teaching in the Old.

In English translations, 2Pet 2:5 states that Noah was a "preacher of righteousness." You have to ask yourself, "Why is that said?" Why is that part of the verse, and to what Old Testament passage or example is Peter referring? Nowhere in the Old Testament do we see Noah "preaching" to anybody! In all of Scripture, there is only one example of "preaching righteousness," Psalm 40:9. How many hundreds of years between Noah and the Psalms being written? No other person is called a "preacher of righteousness. This phrase is only found once in English translations. I'll say it again, just because something is said in a translation doesn't mean it is true or found in the original Scripture. "Preaching righteousness" is not a theme or practice in Scripture.
There were no "preachers" in Noah's day. The English word "preacher" isn't used until the book of Ecclesiastes, and even there, the word is an incorrect translation of the Hebrew word qoheleth. The practice of "preaching" is not found in Scripture until we reach the Gospels. Preaching is teaching/proclaiming Scripture. There was no Scripture, God's written word, in the days of Noah.

We don't see Jehovah commanding Noah to "preach" anything. Noah wasn't a prophet foretelling the coming disaster. Let's look at what Scripture says.

Gen 6:5-7 "...And the LORD said I will destroy man...from the face of the earth..."

Gen 6:8-9 But Noah found Grace in the eyes of the LORD. Noah was a just man, blameless among the people, and he walked with God.

Gen 6:13 And God told Noah, "The end of all flesh is come before me...behold I will destroy them with the earth."

Gen 6:17 "...And I will bring a flood upon the earth to destroy all flesh...everything in the earth shall die."

Gen 6:18 But with you, Noah, I will establish my covenant. And you, your wife, your sons, and their wives will go into the ark.

When Jehovah gave Noah instructions for building the ark, He didn't mention having extra space for anyone on the earth who would repent and go into the ark. Jehovah was specific about the number of people who would enter the ark. He didn't add, "and anybody who repents." We see three times Jehovah where He stated that He was going to destroy all people on the earth.
From the end of chapter 6, until Noah enters the ark, 100-120 years pass. To build the massive ark, using only hand tools, would have taken long days of constant work. As far as we know, Noah only had his three sons to help him. When would Noah have had any time to walk around the people "preaching righteousness?" Righteousness means to live right and do the right things. How would preaching righteousness have helped people Jehovah clearly stated He was going to destroy? Preaching righteousness does not mean preaching repentance. Preaching righteousness would have nothing to do with warning people about the coming flood. Where do you see Noah spending time preaching? Jehovah had told Noah three times He was going to destroy all people. Why would Noah waste any time on a lost cause? If Noah had "preached repentance," doesn't it make sense that Peter would have said that Noah was a "preacher of repentance?" If the Old Testament showed Noah being a "preacher of righteousness," I wouldn't be doing this study. I base what I study and believe on what I find in Scripture, not a tradition of man, not popular Evangelical teaching.
Let me debunk another lie. Where do we see Noah being mocked by people? We don't see Noah having even one conversation with another person while he built the ark. It would have been impossible to keep other people from being aware of the ark being built due to its size and the time frame. How is it that we don't see any interference with the construction? I have no doubt God kept the wicked, violent people from being able to see the ark. Knowing people, there is no doubt that evil people would have burned up the ark if they had seen it or even killed Noah and his family. In Mat 24:37-39, Jesus said the people on the earth were unaware of the coming flood.

Some may think that the flood was some gradual rising of the water. Gen 7:11 describes a great onslaught of water from the ground and the sky. The amount of water was so great that all of the people and animals on the face of the earth were underwater in minutes, instantly drowned, like a tsunami. There wouldn't have been any time for people to try and climb up on anything to escape the "slowly rising water." The flood caught them completely off guard.

This wasn't the only time Jehovah sent sudden destruction upon people without warning. When He drowned Pharoah's army, Sodom and Gomorrah, and when the walls of Jericho came crashing down. We know that Noah was righteous in Jehovah's eyes, Gen 7:1, Eze 14:14, 20. There are three possible reasons why we find the phrase "a preacher of righteousness" in 2Pet 2:5:

1 At some point, a person making a copy of a Greek text added the phrase. Others then copied the altered copy, and it was accepted as a part of the original text over time. This is what I believe happened. Since there is no reference to a "preacher of righteousness" anywhere in Scripture, it would make sense if Peter had written "a righteous man," which would have referenced the Old Testament.

2 There are a number of extrabiblical writings that state that Noah preached to people. Perhaps Peter was aware of this and decided to include it. But, extrabiblical literature was not included in the Canon for a reason.

3 It's possible that Peter used the phrase as a metaphor for describing how Noah was a preacher of righteousness by how he lived his life.
Gen 7:1 seems to imply only Noah was given instructions, and more likely Noah instructs his sons and wives. though the congregation is just afew would mean he preached about the coming disaster to people and they believed Noah, even the animals listened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but just because something isn't spelled out, or described in detail, in Scripture, it doesn't mean that it wouldn't have happened.
Noah was a righteous man who walked faithfully with God, Genesis 6:9. The people around him were wicked and did not, Genesis 6:5. Just because we are not told that Noah was mocked, or criticised, for following God and being faithful to him, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Don't you think that someone would have noticed his different lifestyle?
As you said yourself, it took years to build the ark. Don't you think that someone might have noticed and asked him why he was doing it? When they did, don't you think that Noah might have said that he was obeying God and keeping his family, and animals, safe from the flood?

God can be preached, or proclaimed, without words - even the heavens declare his glory, Psalm 19:1. They have no speech, yet their voice is heard throughout the world, Psalm 19:3-4.
Another way the word could of gotten out is through Noah's sons wives since they had fathers and mothers possibly other siblings as well.

I wouldn't think they didn't converse with their families about matters. Nothing is said about the wives family but no doubt they had other family members. Even Noah's wife had family members and Noah.

A podium that size would be hard to conceal for sure, and who wouldn't ask about that even today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Even Noah's wife had family members and Noah.
Noah's father died before the flood at 777. He could have known Adam because they were alive for a while at the same time. Lamech was born in the year 875 AM and Adam lived to be 970 AM. So they were both alive for 95 years. Lamech could have known Adam. Noah's flood was 1656 AM. Four years after his father died. Abraham was born 352 years after the flood.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

This wasn't the only time Jehovah sent sudden destruction upon people without warning. When He drowned Pharoah's army, Sodom and Gomorrah, and when the walls of Jericho came crashing down. We know that Noah was righteous in Jehovah's eyes, Gen 7:1, Eze 14:14, 20.
It is not clear how much time Noah would have had to spend preaching righteousness in order for that description to be accurate. It is unreasonable to think that most couldn't have found any time to preach righteousness in the hundreds of years that he lived or in the time that he was building the ark, though to the extent to which he did that he was very unsuccessful because no one was saved from the Flood outside of his immediate family. God desires mercy and does not delight in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), so threats of destruction for wickedness are always made with the understanding that it will happen unless they repent, such as when Nineveh was spared because they repented even though it is not recorded that Jonah said anything to them about being spared if they repent from their wickedness. Preaching righteousness is the same as preaching repentance from unrighteousness.

The Gospel was made known in advance to Abraham, which he preached to those in Haran in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8, Genesis 12:1-5), so the promises were made to him and brought about because he was busy spreading the Gospel to his children and those of his household (Genesis 18:19, Genesis 26:4-5, Deuteronomy 30:6).

There are three possible reasons why we find the phrase "a preacher of righteousness" in 2Pet 2:5:

If the Bible has been altered over time, then it would be obvious by comparing older manuscripts with newer ones, but if you have no evidence that it has been altered, then it is not good to assume that it has been altered just because it doesn't fit with your understanding of the Bible. Extra-biblical writings or oral traditions might be the case, though if you consider 2 Peter to be Scripture, then what was said in 2 Peter 2:5 carries the weight of Scripture even if his sources were not included in Scripture. The word being a metaphor is also possible. Some translations say that he is the herald of righteousness, so it could also be the case that he is the forerunner of righteousness insofar as he is the first person in the Bible who is described as righteous.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Noah's father died before the flood at 777. He could have known Adam because they were alive for a while at the same time. Lamech was born in the year 875 AM and Adam lived to be 970 AM. So they were both alive for 95 years. Lamech could have known Adam. Noah's flood was 1656 AM. Four years after his father died. Abraham was born 352 years after the flood.
Adam and Eve also had other children, who knows how long they lived.

side note I've wondered how long Eve lived I don't think anything is mentioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not clear how much time Noah would have had to spend preaching righteousness in order for that description to be accurate. It is unreasonable to think that most couldn't have found any time to preach righteousness in the hundreds of years that he lived or in the time that he was building the ark, though to the extent to which he did that he was very unsuccessful because no one was saved from the Flood outside of his immediate family. God desires mercy and does not delight in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), so threats of destruction for wickedness are always made with the understanding that it will happen unless they repent, such as when Nineveh was spared because they repented even though it is not recorded that Jonah said anything to them about being spared if they repent from their wickedness. Preaching righteousness is the same as preaching repentance from unrighteousness.

The Gospel was made known in advance to Abraham, which he preached to those in Haran in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8, Genesis 12:1-5), so the promises were made to him and brought about because he was busy spreading the Gospel to his children and those of his household (Genesis 18:19, Genesis 26:4-5, Deuteronomy 30:6).

If the Bible has been altered over time, then it would be obvious by comparing older manuscripts with newer ones, but if you have no evidence that it has been altered, then it is not good to assume that it has been altered just because it doesn't fit with your understanding of the Bible. Extra-biblical writings or oral traditions might be the case, though if you consider 2 Peter to be Scripture, then what was said in 2 Peter 2:5 carries the weight of Scripture even if his sources were not included in Scripture. The word being a metaphor is also possible. Some translations say that he is the herald of righteousness, so it could also be the case that he is the forerunner of righteousness insofar as he is the first person in the Bible who is described as righteous.
I've heard a funny saying. Noah was a conspiracy theorist until the rain came down lol.

The size of the ark could of had a impact. Who would of thought that much water would Flood the land for the ark to float.

Interesting that some theories of accounts in scripture can be similar. Here's my own example I read Genesis days as such 1,2,4,3,5,6. I know not many will believe such things hehe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It was from Jewish tradition, not the OT, as we see also in
2 Ti 3:8 regarding Jannes and Jambres who, acccording to tradition, were the Egyptian court magicians who opposed Moses (Ex 7:11), or Ac 7:38 regarding the law being given to Moses by angel mediation, or
Heb 11:37 which could refer to Isaiah, who, according to tradition was sawed in two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because God said He would destroy everyone else does not mean God has to do that. Jer. 18 helps us understand how would should take Gods predictions of the future and how man influences those promises:
Jer. 18:7 If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, 8 and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. 9 And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, 10 and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.
The Holy Spirit is very much involved in the protecting and preserving the scripture I have in the Greek NT.
We also have stories and information presented by Christ and other inspired writers of the NT that are not in the OT.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
This was Jewish tradition, as we see in
2 Ti 3:8 regarding Jannes and Jambres, who acccording to tradition were the Egyptian court magicians who opposed Moses (Ex 7:11), or Ac 7:38 regarding the law being given to Moses by angel mediation, or
Heb 11:37 which could refer to Isaiah, who, according to tradition was sawed in two.
To what, that @Bob corrigan said, is this in response? I don't see what you are referring to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

I do think you are right about the suddenness of the flood. In Matthew 24:37-39 Christ gives the warning, "As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away." But I don't think that is relevant to whether Noah had preached or not, but only, perhaps, relevant to WHAT he preached.

2 Peter 2:5's Greek word, κήρυκα, meaning "a herald" or "a preacher", brings to mind the word, "proclaim", as in 1 Corinthians 11:26. καταγγέλλετε as far as I know is unrelated to the 2 Peter 2:5, κήρυκα. But their meanings are pretty obviously very related. In the principle given in 1 Cor 11:26, doing that certain action is said to be "proclaiming" something. We also know that our lives are a witness to the truth of whatever we represent, whether to the righteousness of God or to the slavery of sin.

To my mind, anyway, Noah's life had apparently been a witness, a testimony, a proclaiming, of righteousness. So I tend toward #3, though I'm not so sure I would use the term, 'metaphor', there.

Notice too, though, his tie to the context of 1 Cor. 11:26, "For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes." that we find 1 Corinthians 15: "3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,…" which brings to mind 1 Peter 3: "[Christ] was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built..." I'm not saying those three passages necessarily refer to each other, but I find a remarkable theme there.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This was Jewish tradition, as we see in
2 Ti 3:8 regarding Jannes and Jambres who, acccording to tradition, were the Egyptian court magicians who opposed Moses (Ex 7:11), or Ac 7:38 regarding the law being given to Moses by angel mediation, or
From Jewish encyclopedia
A prophet.........
Copy and paste
"—In Apocryphal and Rabbinical Literature:
On being informed of the end of the world, Noah exhorted his contemporaries to repentance, foretelling them that a flood would destroy the earth on account of the wickedness of its people. According to a tradition, Noah planted cedar-trees and felled them, continuing to do so for the space of one hundred and twenty years. When the people asked him for what purpose he prepared so many trees, he told them that he was going to make an ark to save himself from the Flood which was about to come upon the earth. But the people heeded not his words, they mocked at him, and used vile language; and Noah suffered violent persecution at their hands (Sanh. 108a, b; Pirḳe R. El. xxii.; Gen. R. xxx. 7; Lev. R. xxvii. 5; "Sefer ha-Yashar," l.c.; see also Flood in Rabbinical Literature)."

So Peter an apostle and prophet himself merely confirms these things.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Do you not imagine that some at least questioned Noah as to what he was up to? It's not like he could hide his activities. "Hey Noah, what you doin'?" "I'm building an ark for every kind of animal and for anyone who wants to escape the coming catastrophic flood." "You have to be kidding. What's rain, anyway?" And so on.

God does not waste words. If Peter said that Noah spoke about the coming flood then that's what happened. (The word translated "preacher" is better translated "herald"). Did John the Baptist preach? He could also be considered a herald, warning of the coming Kingdom of God. Peter was speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. We do not get to pick and choose what to believe. Either the Bible is God's word or it's not. If it not then you have no basis for your Christian beliefs.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From Jewish encyclopedia
A prophet.........
Copy and paste
"—In Apocryphal and Rabbinical Literature:
On being informed of the end of the world, Noah exhorted his contemporaries to repentance, foretelling them that a flood would destroy the earth on account of the wickedness of its people. According to a tradition, Noah planted cedar-trees and felled them, continuing to do so for the space of one hundred and twenty years. When the people asked him for what purpose he prepared so many trees, he told them that he was going to make an ark to save himself from the Flood which was about to come upon the earth. But the people heeded not his words, they mocked at him, and used vile language; and Noah suffered violent persecution at their hands (Sanh. 108a, b; Pirḳe R. El. xxii.; Gen. R. xxx. 7; Lev. R. xxvii. 5; "Sefer ha-Yashar," l.c.; see also Flood in Rabbinical Literature)."

So Peter an apostle and prophet himself merely confirms these things.
Right. . .my point is not that it is untrue, but that the above, and what I presented, are not actually stated in the OT.
The information stated in the NT is from Jewish tradition, not from the OT.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do think you are right about the suddenness of the flood. In Matthew 24:37-39 Christ gives the warning, "As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away."
I'm thinking the flood was the dumping of the (water of the ) entire firmament, maybe from which we got the oceans which cover 2/3 of the planet, which now evaporate and provide rain which did not exist with the firmament.
But I don't think that is relevant to whether Noah had preached or not, but only, perhaps, relevant to WHAT he preached.

2 Peter 2:5's Greek word, κήρυκα, meaning "a herald" or "a preacher", brings to mind the word, "proclaim", as in 1 Corinthians 11:26. καταγγέλλετε as far as I know is unrelated to the 2 Peter 2:5, κήρυκα. But their meanings are pretty obviously very related. In the principle given in 1 Cor 11:26, doing that certain action is said to be "proclaiming" something. We also know that our lives are a witness to the truth of whatever we represent, whether to the righteousness of God or to the slavery of sin.

To my mind, anyway, Noah's life had apparently been a witness, a testimony, a proclaiming, of righteousness. So I tend toward #3, though I'm not so sure I would use the term, 'metaphor', there.

Notice too, though, his tie to the context of 1 Cor. 11:26, "For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes." that we find 1 Corinthians 15: "3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,…" which brings to mind 1 Peter 3: "[Christ] was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built..." I'm not saying those three passages necessarily refer to each other, but I find a remarkable theme there.

Upvote 0