Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are a Pastor you are probably use to dealing with people in need - can you give me any advice where a friend of mine might get some help - here is her situation.

Husband has Alzheimers - can't work - working her way through the steps to get him in the day care so she can work.

No one to help - no job - no money - having to move because can't pay the rent - only place to go is with her husbands daughter - they smoke pot all the time and the smell makes her sick - she is a great woman of faith and is totally up against the wall - they have nothing.

I have helped and helped all I can - her needs are beyond what I can help with. Her only possession she has left is a car - she owes IRS and unless she pays it they will take her car - (where is all this help you see Obama spouting off about - she can't get any help any place)

Just thought you might know of someplace I could tell her to seek help from.

Thank you.

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Other than homeless shelters, I'll be surprised if any pastor(not just on this site) can be able to help your friend.

Churches don't even have places to help drug addicts, or other addictions, not without paying lots of money. Those are buisnesses to make money, not help people out.

It's a shame that Americans are so stingy, and for the most part I'm just as guilty as anyone else in this country.
That is one of the reasons why this country is in an economic crisis, so that we will know what it feels like to be in need and to be without.
We don't want to be bothered with other people's troubles, we just want to please the flesh as much as we can and ignore the many crys for help in this world.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,240.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just thought you might know of someplace I could tell her to seek help from.
Thank you.

Sorry Im not a pastor, but do you have the Salvation Army in America?

In this country they provide accomodation for people in need of a place to stay, they give rent money to people who cant afford to pay their rent and then there are food kitchens for people who are hungry.

Your friend and her husband would be better moving into Salvation Army accomodation, they will then contact the Social Work Department and get the wheels turning. Thats what would happen in this country anyway.

God Bless

:)

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most churches have some sort of benevolence fund to help in such cases. The problem is they can't help everyone.

The couple should qualify for social security and other assistance. They need to contact the dept of health and human services office in their town, ASAP.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Social; security, senior centers, welfare, these could all be a source of help. Also the IRS can be bargained with and if she can show hardship it is possible that most if not all her debt could be forgiven or settled for a fraction. You have to go through the hoops and the paperwork and it can be demeaning at times but in the end there might be help. Also any agency that deals with illnesses might be a help as well.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the help she has sought is set up for people in need - but when you have been working and now are in dier need there is little out there - she made $200 to much to qualify for food stamps - she made too much for him to go into a home, she had to quit work because she could not leave him alone.

Any assistance from the government is confiscated because she owes IRS taxes. The last stimulus check that was paid was taken by the government. She will eventually qualify for the day care service for her husband, but she has to wait her turn and there is a long list. They both receive social security but the government takes both checks to pay against their IRS bill.

I don't think she has checked with Salvation army - her church was in Dallas - she moved south to be near his daughter so does not know anyone there and the daughter is not helping, only making matters worse.

Thank you so much for this information - I will pass it on to her - please pray for a miracle breakthrough for her - her name is Peggy.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

irenemcg

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
Caught up in the Heavenlies
Visit site
✟24,981.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
All the help she has sought is set up for people in need - but when you have been working and now are in dier need there is little out there - she made $200 to much to qualify for food stamps - she made too much for him to go into a home, she had to quit work because she could not leave him alone.

Any assistance from the government is confiscated because she owes IRS taxes. The last stimulus check that was paid was taken by the government. She will eventually qualify for the day care service for her husband, but she has to wait her turn and there is a long list. They both receive social security but the government takes both checks to pay against their IRS bill.

I don't think she has checked with Salvation army - her church was in Dallas - she moved south to be near his daughter so does not know anyone there and the daughter is not helping, only making matters worse.

Thank you so much for this information - I will pass it on to her - please pray for a miracle breakthrough for her - her name is Peggy.

Praying for that miracle!

Check out

http://www.ahaf.org/alzheimers/resources/

http://www.ahaf.org/alzheimers/resources/helpfulorganizations.html#caregiving

Also if your friend belonged to a Denominational Church prior to moving I suggest she speaks to them.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,240.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think she has checked with Salvation army - .

Hello:thumbsup:

I would advise her getting down there right away. I used to work in Social Work in Scotland, the Sally Army used to help a lot of our clients faster than social work did. Furniture, food, accomodation, money, friendship, the SA are really good.

I have a leaflet from Salvation army here, their vision is : 'Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, love the unlovable and befriend the friendless'.

General Boothe who founded the SA was a SPirit filled believer and a friend of Israel. God blesses their social work.

With government agencies your friends may get the run around, waiting lists, means testings, 'no service available at this time'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,240.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She needs to try to settle with the IRS. If you stay in contact and are making a sincere effort, my experience has been they are a very tolerant creditor........
. +

Sharon. Your friend might need to get someone offical involved to speed this up. In Scotland you can contact your local member of parliament, or city councillor, once an MP or a councillor is involved local government agencies move very quickly indeed!! I have worked in social work and had a councillor on my back!!!

I dont know what the equivalent is in American, a congressman or whatever, once he is involved official wheels will turn quick!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.