bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My grandmother is in a nursing home. She has cancer, the tumor is on her face, most likely as a result of a lifetime of smoking. She’s been through all the surgeries, the chemo has come and gone, now she is waiting to die a death that is expected by doctors and family at any moment.

She is not saved. Week before last, I took the morning off work to take my wife to the dentist to correct an issue she was having. While she was doing that I took our little one to breakfast at Burger King and let him run around the little indoor playground a while.

I wanted to get my grandmother a card. So I bribed my 3-year old into leaving the playground without a scene by telling him we were going to see Veggie Tales toys. Excitedly, he left with me and we arrived at the Christian bookstore a few minutes later.

True to my word, our first stop was to the toy section and I showed him all the toys and went a few aisles over to the cards. After a bit of looking, one card in particular screaming “JESUS IS LORD” across the front stood out at me. I picked up and read it, being a little unsure, I quietly prayed, “Is it this one?” A moment later my cell phone rings. It’s the dentist, my wife is done and needs to be picked up. Time to go, I grab the kid, buy the card, and off I go.

That Saturday, I’m sitting in the post office parking lot, wondering what is proper to sign in this card, not only to a grandmother who is dying, but to someone who is unsaved, and hard-hearted before God. As I sat there, pen in hand, I had a thought that said, “Say, I love you more than you’ll ever know”, very bizarre, too bizarre to be my thought as I don’t even think that way. I mail off the letter and hear nothing for the next few days.

Last Thursday, I receive a call from my mother while I’m at work. Apparently, my grandmother loved the card and had been crying for the last two days because she wanted to see me (I wasn’t aware of this). The Lord speaks up and tells me its time for me to go see her.

Friday morning, I wake up very early in the morning and drive the nearly 300 mile trip, I live in Iowa and she in South Bend, Indiana. I surprised her when I walked into her room and was able to spend good time with her that day, until she went to sleep for a nap in the afternoon. Having my own agenda, I took that opportunity and went to the bookstore of the church I attended when I lived there as a youngster and picked up a little booklet on salvation, written by Lester Sumrall, which I studied and underlined particular passages that night and again Saturday night.

Saturday night, when I was done studying the book and after a quick reading of Romans 5, I prayed to the Lord, among other things, I asked Him for the opportunity to be a witness and for the courage to follow through, to open her mind and prepare her heart to hear what I had to say to her.

Yesterday morning, I arrived at her nursing home early, my uncle was already there visiting her (his mother, my grandmother). We sat there talking a little about politics and a lot about how Notre Dame got robbed in their loss to Pitt in the 4th overtime :mad:. A short time later, my uncle leaves, my grandmother turns off the TV, and the voice tells me, “It’s time”. I witness to her, and she was unreceptive. I was I little unprepared for this, but I got the impression that the issue was not that she was dismissive, but rather too embarrassed to discuss such things with others. I gave to her the book I had marked, and she promised to read it later in the afternoon. (By this time she was tired again as her condition forces her to nap every few hours).

I knew going into that room that I had an obligation to tell her about Jesus, and while I was able to leave knowing I did what was necessary, I was not satisfied with happened and what I had envisioned going in there. However, I know the battle is not mine, I’m but the messenger but God does the calling and I trust Him to finish the work.

Now I’m back home, and my prayer is that God will continue the work He has started, and my hope is that you will also pray in that regard with me. I’ve called her to make sure she read the book as promised, but haven’t reached her yet. I’ll pray that she will make the right choice before it’s too late. This was probably the last time I'll see her alive, but my hopes are it wasn't the last time I'll ever see her again.

ralangley

Veteran
May 30, 2007
Washington State, USA
✟18,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Your post touched my heart. I'm am praying for her right now. Heavenly Father, soften FS's grandmother's heart, help her to turn to you in these last moments. Help her to cut through the lies and help her see her need for a redeemer. Help her to hear your voice as you call her. Let the seeds that have been planted in her, take root and grow. Give her the courage to call to you, and be saved. Thank you Lord, thank you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Father God, as FS stands in the gap for his grandmother I pray for a touch from the Masters Hand - claim that spirit of this grandmother and let the angels excort that soul into Paradise as she passes. FS was very obeident and did as you guided him to do, the seed was planted and we know that you make it grow. We pray also that FS will know that his grandmother has accepted Jesus into her heart and find peace. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ of Nazarath.

Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟10,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
this really touched me also. I"m praying with the others that she won't/can't resist the touch of the Holy Spirit. God, touch her in a way that she knows that she knows it is You. Wrap her in your loving arms and let her feel Your love for her. Lord, let her know Your peace that passes understanding. Let her know that all is well and there is no need to be scared or embarassed. I pray that the love of God that flowed through FS melts her heart. Lord, You know just what she needs and You will meet her just where she is. I pray for peace for FS and the rest of the family. Let them know beyond a doubt that their prayers are heard and answered. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My grandfather was saved three days before he went into a coma he never woke from. He was against the gospel his whole life, being an ardent communist, but God opened his heart at the right time. The same can happen to your grandmother.

I appreciate it, but it is too late. She's gone, and I don't know what has come of her. But I do know she had opportunities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry for your loss brother.

As I sat there, pen in hand, I had a thought that said, “Say, I love you more than you’ll ever know”, very bizarre, too bizarre to be my thought as I don’t even think that way.

When your Grandmother read those words the Holy Spirit gave you, I believe she heard God speaking them, not yourself only.

She may not have been able to articulate that, or even trust it fully, and like many older people who think "religion" is a "private matter" still appeared resistant to talking about God, but He had bypassed her mental machinations and spoken directly to her heart.

When she was in her last moments, even if her mind couldn't accept it all logically, her heart was ready prepared to receive His love, and He will have done all possible to open her eyes to that love.

God didn't tell you to do all this for nothing, His plans are effective. Trust Him with her.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Less than an hour ago, I received a phone call from my mother that my grandmother passed away early this morning.

I appreciate all your prayers.

I believe that God is greater than our minds can comprehend. He laid down His life for ALL. We have no idea what transpired between He and your grandmother before she passed. He loves her even more than you do. I believe He showed Himself to her in some manner and I pray that somewhere along the way He will reveal to you confirmation that she did commit herself to Him and is now with Him.

Blessing to you my brother. :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.