My Next Apple Challenge

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The story of David and Goliath was told long before the Bible was ever thought of? You should read the Bible and learn a little bit before trying to offer second hand opinions.

You should study some history -- then you'd know that before "the Bible" was put to paper and compiled, its stories were first passed down as oral tradition (usually in the synagogues) separately.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You should study some history -- then you'd know that before "the Bible" was put to paper and compiled, its stories were first passed down as oral tradition (usually in the synagogues) separately.
Are you saying that the Israelites get up in the morning, go to synagogue, and hear that the Philistines came and taunted them, etc., and not one person denied it; saying, for instance, "I was there then, and I don't remember that"?

If that's not what you're saying, perhaps you could give me a viable scenario?

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Notice "wise" and "atheist" together in his profile?

I mean him no disrespect, but "that verse" comes to mind. :)
I don't suppose it's this one: Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?

At any rate you will have noted that I don't claim to be wise.

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Of course not, the Bible is not history it's a collection of stories that were being told long before the Bible was even thought of.
Bishop Ussher most certainly was a historian, as well as a theologian, and he was a very distinguished and learned scholar. He had some assumptions about the historicity of the Bible text which almost all historians would not share today, but on those assumptions he built a very thorough scholarly edifice.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't suppose it's this one: Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?
No, sir.

Try this one:

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

IOW, claiming to be wise can lead to atheism
Picky Picky said:
At any rate you will have noted that I don't claim to be wise.
Are you a Homo sapiens?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have studied ancient history for over 50 years. Clay tablets went back long before Moses used papyrus in Egypt. Abraham was a Chaldean from the City of Ur. Perhaps you should study a little history then you would know the people we read about in our Bible are real people and not a legend or a myth. There is an oral tradition known today as Kabbalah. Then there is the Written Word of God.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying that the Israelites get up in the morning, go to synagogue, and hear that the Philistines came and taunted them, etc., and not one person denied it; saying, for instance, "I was there then, and I don't remember that"?

If that's not what you're saying, perhaps you could give me a viable scenario?

When was the last time you saw someone stand up in church and tell your pastor "you're wrong"?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have studied ancient history for over 50 years.

That's a long time to enshrine error.

Clay tablets went back long before Moses used papyrus in Egypt. Abraham was a Chaldean from the City of Ur. Perhaps you should study a little history then you would know the people we read about in our Bible are real people and not a legend or a myth. There is an oral tradition known today as Kabbalah. Then there is the Written Word of God.

That's not what I was talking about -- did you include reading comprehension in your history "studies"?

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, sir.

Try this one:

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

IOW, claiming to be wise can lead to atheism

Are you a Homo sapiens?
Not very sapient, apparently, if you believe that this describes me:

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I don't claim to be a particularly good person, but I venture to suggest that Paul was exaggerating slightly — for the sake of the poetry, no doubt, which is certainly splendid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not very sapient, apparently, if you believe that this describes me:

I don't claim to be a particularly good person, but I venture to suggest that Paul was exaggerating slightly — for the sake of the poetry, no doubt, which is certainly splendid.
Exaggerating slightly? Poetry?

How many people have you met that once embraced Christianity and no longer do because they "got science"?

If you say you don't know any, then maybe you need to stick around awhile and talk to some posters here.

I wish Split Rock would come back and give his testimony as to how he deconverted.

Our maybe our friend Mr Valentine would like to tell us how he once embraced Christianity, until he bought into the Imma Wiseman Club?

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Exaggerating slightly? Poetry?

How many people have you met that once embraced Christianity and no longer do because they "got science"?

If you say you don't know any, then maybe you need to stick around awhile and talk to some posters here.

I wish Split Rock would come back and give his testimony as to how he deconverted.

Our maybe our friend Mr Valentine would like to tell us how he once embraced Christianity, until he bought into the Imma Wiseman Club?

I've no doubt there are many who once embraced Christianity but lost their faith through science (although that doesn't apply to me — if I ever had any faith I lost it before having very much to do with science). What I doubt is whether they are filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; whether they are all full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whether they are all whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, and unmerciful. Because it is possible that, fallible though they no doubt are, that description of their character might be slightly exaggerated. Poetic stuff, though, as I say.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've no doubt there are many who once embraced Christianity but lost their faith through science (although that doesn't apply to me — if I ever had any faith I lost it before having very much to do with science). What I doubt is whether they are filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; whether they are all full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whether they are all whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, and unmerciful. Because it is possible that, fallible though they no doubt are, that description of their character might be slightly exaggerated. Poetic stuff, though, as I say.
Okay.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes they live a better life then Christians because they no longer believe in unmerited forgiveness.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes they live a better life then Christians because they no longer believe in unmerited forgiveness.

Unmerited and unnecessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
LOL

Thanks, but the fact of the matter is: if you apply my answer to the OP, the answer would be wrong as per the first sentence in the challenge.

Just like your answer is wrong "as per the first sentence of the santa challenge".

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You do not believe in Karma? Even out on the streets they believe what comes around goes around. That is what they call street smarts.

And that has nothing to do with what I said. That is what they call babbling.

Upvote 0