My Next Apple Challenge

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Josephus records an eclipse of the moon just before Herod passed on. This occurred on March 12th or 13th in 4 B.C. Josephus also tells us that Herod expired just before Passover. This feast took place on April 11th, in the same year, 4 B.C. From other details supplied by Josephus, we can pinpoint Herod the Great's demise as occurring between March 29th and April 4th in 4 B.C.

But we may have allow for some human error on the part of Herod and/or the Magi:

Matthew 2:16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.

There's no record of exactly how much time passed here except that when Herod ordered children to be slaughtered, he included toddlers up to two years old based on what the Magi had told him... assuming they told the truth (and remember, at that point, they had no reason not to), then Jesus might have already been as old as two when Herod gave the order -- which might push his birthday as far back as 6 BC...

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But we may have allow for some human error on the part of Herod and/or the Magi:
This is only one of many ways we use to verify the date.
I go a lot by the Friday the 13 comet that comes around every 7 years.
So there are a lot of different ways we can get all the dates to line up.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is only one of many ways we use to verify the date. I go a lot by the Friday the 13 comet that comes around every 7 years.

What does that have to do with Jesus' birth?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It has nothing to do with the Gregorian calendar. Luke says that Jesus was born during Quirinius' governorship of Syria, Matthew says it was during the reign of Herod. Herod died ten years or so before Quirinius was governor of Syria.
1) the Greek form of the Roman name Quirinus. His full name is
Publius Sulpicius Quirinus. He was consul B.C. 12., and was made
governor of Syria after the banishment of Archelaus in A.D. 6. He
was probably twice governor of Syria; his first governorship
extended from B.C. 4 (the year of Christ's birth) to B.C. 1. It
was during this time that he was sent to make enrolment which
caused Joseph and Mary to visit Bethlehem. Lu 2:2 . The second
enrolment is mentioned in Ac 5:37 .

http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/strongs/ref/?stgh=greek&stnm=2958

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1) the Greek form of the Roman name Quirinus. His full name is
Publius Sulpicius Quirinus. He was consul B.C. 12., and was made
governor of Syria after the banishment of Archelaus in A.D. 6. He
was probably twice governor of Syria; his first governorship
extended from B.C. 4 (the year of Christ's birth) to B.C. 1. It
was during this time that he was sent to make enrolment which
caused Joseph and Mary to visit Bethlehem. Lu 2:2 . The second
enrolment is mentioned in Ac 5:37 .

http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/strongs/ref/?stgh=greek&stnm=2958

Quintilius Varus was governor of Syria during Herod's reign, not Quirinius. And Calpurnius Piso was governor of Syria from 4 B.C. to 1 B.C.

There is no historical support for two governorships of the same province OF ANY PERSON, let alone Quirinius, in the entirety of Roman history.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does that have to do with Jesus' birth?
Actually this has to do with the death, burial and resurrection that took place 33 years after Jesus was born. In 2029 the comet marks the day Jesus died at Calvary. in 2036 the comet passes over Jerusalem marking the day Jesus was resurrected. I use this comet as a marker. Just like I use the Nano Diamond Comet as a marker for the beginning of the era we live in. Of course if you do not believe in God it maybe a little difficult to believe that those comets show up at the exact moment in time when we need them to show up. This is just one of many ways that I use to verify the dates.

"Jerusalem will be trodden down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 25 There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among the nations, bewildered by the roaring of the sea and the surging of the waves. 26 Men will faint from fear and anxiety over what is coming upon the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken".…luke 21:25

Interesting that Neil DeGrasse talks about a powerful wave that could hit California in his version of the story about the comet.
You can start at 3:00 if you want to go right to that point of Neil's story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually this has to do with the death, burial and resurrection that took place 33 years after Jesus was born.

Where are you getting the number 33 from? I know it's traditional, but what is it based on?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where are you getting the number 33 from? I know it's traditional, but what is it based on?
Luke 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The common assertion seems reasonable that if Jesus "began his ministry" when he "was about thirty years of age" (Luke 3:23) and engaged in a three-year ministry (John mentions three Passovers, and there might have been a fourth one), then he was 33 years old at the time of his death. quora

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course not, the Bible is not history it's a collection of stories that were being told long before the Bible was even thought of.
Then so is the encyclopedia.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The common assertion seems reasonable that if Jesus "began his ministry" when he "was about thirty years of age" (Luke 3:23) and engaged in a three-year ministry (John mentions three Passovers, and there might have been a fourth one), then he was 33 years old at the time of his death. quora

About 33... And if there might have been a fourth Passover, that means we've got a couple of years leeway. But it does make sense.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course not, the Bible is not history it's a collection of stories that were being told long before the Bible was even thought of.
The story of David and Goliath was told long before the Bible was ever thought of? You should read the Bible and learn a little bit before trying to offer second hand opinions.

Upvote 0