Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem with an "embedded age" is that is simply a careful wording of the claim that "God is lying". Even when I was a Christian I did not believe in a dishonest God. Yes, if a God wanted to, and was all powerful, he could have created you last Tuesday.

Embedded Age = maturity without history.

Last Tuesdayism = maturity with history.

There's a difference, and not knowing it can lead to:
... makes no sense to me.

Not to mention:
"God is lying".

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Embedded Age = maturity without history.

Last Tuesdayism = maturity with history.

There's a difference, and not knowing it can lead to:

Not to mention:
Wrong, there is no difference between Last Tuesdayism and your Embedded Age. They both have a history. Last Tuedayism's history is simply much shorter. But in reality their histories' are almost identical. You want to chop off all but roughly 6500 hundred years of your history and Last Tuedayism wants to chop all all but a few days of your history. Statistically they are equal since they both chop off over 99.999% of our actual history. The difference is less than the margin of error for the age of the Earth.

And the "God is lying" idea is what you espouse. Once again, I could not believe in a Lying God. If God exists I do not think that he would lie. You might not like it when others point out that that is your claim, but you have been unable to justify the embedded age that you believe in.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
True and I respect that. But part of that is also false. For instance it is said by scientist's that Einstein proved Newton wrong
It is not. Newton's theory was not wrong, it was incomplete. Einstein went a long way towards completing it.

and now they say Einstein was wrong concerning the speed of light and time.
No they don't. Einstein was correct about the speed of light and time. But following the development of our understanding of quantum physics, and our understanding of black holes, it has become clear that Relativity does not quite explain everything.

They have discovered particles that move faster than light.
They have not. The results you're thinking of are yet to be corroborated, and probably have a different explanation.

Some discoveries shatter all previous beliefs and many well built towers of theories come crashing down.
No 'well built theory' has ever come crashing down. Numerous hypotheses have, but that's the whole point of science; form an idea, and find sufficient evidence to support it. In most cases, the evidence was not found, and sometimes contrary evidence was even found, and in either case the hypothesis was abandoned. But sometimes sufficient evidence was found, and then more and more evidence was found, from multiple different sources and methods, and it ALL agreed with what was predicted. You're then some way towards having a 'well built theory', and as I said, such a theory has never been disproven.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to dignify posts that imply I have some kind of narcissistic personality disorder with a response.

Not going to deny them either, we see...

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Cadet, just out of curiosity, since I "deny reality so much," can you explain what I mean by EARTH ONE as my location?

It happens to be a major doctrine in the Christian faith.

I would think those who "know reality" so much should be able to easily answer it.
I never claimed that you deny reality. I simply pointed out that your epistemology is worthless. I don't know what EARTH ONE is. So what? I don't know a lot of things. I try my best to stay informed, but I don't know everything. But here's the thing - when I try to know something, I ensure that I have a good reason for believing it. A functional epistemology, if you will.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And on a Christian site, no less.

I guess it takes all kinds, doesn't it?

What do you care? "Independent" Baptist, and all that, right?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you care? "Independent" Baptist, and all that, right?
I have a feeling that if "my epistemology" is "worthless," others' epistemology is as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have a feeling that if "my epistemology" is "worthless," others' epistemology is as well.

Because of course, it's all about you. ;)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just because you use a failed epistemology is no reason to assume that all epistemology is of no use.
I would imagine that what goes around comes around with some people.

Unless some tailor their epistemology to agree with the epistemology of the questioning party, it runs the risk of being deemed "worthless."

I'm guilty of that as well, when I say, "[X] can take a hike."

Others are no different when they basically say the same thing about doctrine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
QV the Muppet Show.

Even your current avatar looks like Statler in his younger years.

You usually don't resort to personal cracks, AV -- you used to have standards.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would imagine that what goes around comes around with some people.

Unless some tailor their epistemology to agree with the epistemology of the questioning party, it runs the risk of being deemed "worthless."

I'm guilty of that as well, when I say, "[X] can take a hike."

Others are no different when they basically say the same thing about doctrine.

Your epistemology is worthless since it tends to be self contradicting. In fact I am not even sure if the term epistemology applies to your method of belief.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.