Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Because some of them can. In particular, many gorillas can be educated to do that. And some humans can not do those. A definition does not allow exceptions. You are pushing the definition to its edge. So exceptions become very important.
No they can't. Very simple concepts can be communicated via sign language and they are socially and genetically unable to breed with humans.

So why under your apparently superior Christian definition of humanity are gorillas human and hypothetical replicants not?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No they can't. Very simple concepts can be communicated via sign language and they are socially and genetically unable to breed with humans.

So why under your apparently superior Christian definition of humanity are gorillas human and hypothetical replicants not?

Gorilla is not human. I know why, but I don't think you know why. So I challenge you. If you know clearly that gorilla is not human, then you will know clearly that replicant is not human either.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So tell us, and we'll all know why.

I said I play offense first.
Do you know why is a gorilla not a human?
If you admit that you do not know, then I will play defense to explain it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Let me guess: because humans have souls, and gorillas do not, blah blah blah the Bible says.... am I in the ballpark?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Gorilla is not human. I know why, but I don't think you know why. So I challenge you. If you know clearly that gorilla is not human, then you will know clearly that replicant is not human either.
Look. There are different ways of defining humans. My definition includes us and replicants, but not gorillas.

Your definition of human, includes us but not replicants or gorillas (now)... and you are refusing to explain why. I am curious, and with your insultingly smug build up I know I will be disappointed.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!

I have no idea what your definition of human is! THAT'S WHY I ASKED YOU!

So, to be explicit:
No, I admit, I do not know why you do not consider a gorilla to be human. In addition I can not extrapolate this fact to why a replicant would not be human.
Let me guess: because humans have souls, and gorillas do not, blah blah blah the Bible says.... am I in the ballpark?
I'm expecting something along these lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Look. There are different ways of defining humans. My definition includes us and replicants, but not gorillas.

Not surprise.
Atheist has many ways to define anything.
A baby may not be a human according to some of the definitions.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For those of you unfamiliar with Ridley Scott's 1982 classic, in the film, a "Replicant" is an artificial person that both looks and behaves like a real human:

batty-black.jpg

pris.jpg

Leon_Kowalski.png

Used primarily as slave labor, Replicants led a murderous rebellion and are now illegal on Earth. Undaunted, the Tyrell Corporation has found a way to implant false memories into new replicants -- not only do they look and act human, but now some actually believe they are human.

My challenge is this: Is a replicant with embedded memories a human being -- yes or no?

No, but they deserve at least as much respect and protection as a sperm whale!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So what's the answer?

First, this is not a definition, but a criterion included in the definition:
Human is a natural life, not an artificial life.
This does not preclude gorillas, but it is enough to answer the question in the OP.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This does not preclude gorillas, but it is enough to answer the question in the OP.

Except the question was "why is a gorilla not a human?" Post #64

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
You just said that the reason gorillas and replicants weren't human was connected. So...?

In addition, it would have been easy to say: "Being a natural creature is part of my definition of human. So, a replicant with synthetically designed DNA and bodies would not be human."

What was the point of your whole ridiculous and time wasting "offense"/"defense" dance?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You just said that the reason gorillas and replicants weren't human was connected. So...?

So a second-class definition of human is: a natural occurrence of life form which dominates the current earth.

It is not the best definition. But it takes care of the questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
So a second-class definition of human is: a natural occurrence of life form which dominates the current earth.

It is not the best definition. But it takes care of the questions.
Interesting, I'll note that the vaunted singular Christian definition hasn't emerged.

To clarify your position, what is a "natural occurrence"? A fully designed organism based on human DNA isn't human, I'm not sure if modified, implanted and sustained in utero counts as natural or not.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, I'll note that the vaunted singular Christian definition hasn't emerged.

To clarify your position, what is a "natural occurrence"? A fully designed organism based on human DNA isn't human, I'm not sure if modified, implanted and sustained in utero counts as natural or not.

Natural occurrence means human hands-off on the system.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So people born via IVF are not human then?

It is a good argument.
I don't like IVF exactly because of the reason.
In that case, the definition could be refined to include a cell-size level natural process.

Human being can make many exceptions to known natural processes. That is why atheists can never find a definite answer on anything.

Upvote 0