My Blade Runner Challenge

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
For those of you unfamiliar with Ridley Scott's 1982 classic, in the film, a "Replicant" is an artificial person that both looks and behaves like a real human:

batty-black.jpg

pris.jpg

Leon_Kowalski.png

Used primarily as slave labor, Replicants led a murderous rebellion and are now illegal on Earth. Undaunted, the Tyrell Corporation has found a way to implant false memories into new replicants -- not only do they look and act human, but now some actually believe they are human.

My challenge is this: Is a replicant with embedded memories a human being -- yes or no?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Is a replicant with embedded memories a human being -- yes or no?

Depends on what 'embedded' means. A Voigt-Kampff test would presumably show whether it had been internalized as the memories of that being. Even so, they would not be human, I deem, but still sentient and worthy of a certain moral status.

Call me a biological chauvinist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I won't live forever. But then again, who does?

gaffsunicorn%20copy.jpg

Reactions: Shemjaza
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Yes even without the embedded memories. They might be born fully grown and their genetics might have been designed by humans, but they are human with some developmental issues due to their upbringing and limited life span.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Such compassion. It's almost awe inspiring.

And yet so revealing. Seems that we've gotten AV to admit that an artificially-created simulacrum with a fake embedded history is actually not the same as the real thing...

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
And yet so revealing. Seems that we've gotten AV to admit that an artificially-created simulacrum with a fake embedded history is actually not the same as the real thing...
I don't want to put words in AVs mouth. But I believe he has stated in the past that there is something fundamental about the sperm egg interaction that transfers both ensouled humanity and the sin-nature.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't want to put words in AVs mouth. But I believe he has stated in the past that there is something fundamental about the sperm egg interaction that transfers both ensouled humanity and the sin-nature.

Nevertheless, we've already established in his "Next Apple 'Challenge'" that an imitation -- even a convincing one -- is not the same as the real thing. I eagerly await his tap-dancing on this one.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Nevertheless, we've already established in his "Next Apple 'Challenge'" that an imitation -- even a convincing one -- is not the same as the real thing. I eagerly await his tap-dancing on this one.
AV is usually less on the Sci Fi Revelations: where Transhuman hybrids allow the Nephilim to be reborn because they are soulless abominations.

I'd assume AV is okay with IVF children, because that's basically same at natural just the mixing step happens outside the body. I guess slight modifications to allow for preventing disorders are less good but not abominable. I'm curious where the line between human and synthetic forgery exists.

A thing built from scratch by man, would still just be built from the same creation as everything else.

Synthetic life and demonstrated abiogenesis evidence, might work for a scifi version of the revelation miracles.

(Again, no offence AV, just you've said before that you think the Antichrist will be a scientist.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All you had to do is ask! :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They may not biologically be a human being, but they certainly deserve the same rights and protections as any other people.
So someone shooting Data should get the death penalty?

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0