Mississippi to make the Bible the state book.

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's resolved: M-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-humpback-humpback-i should be expelled from the union, for the benefit of all parties.

At least then they could apply for foreign aid....

Would you believe I actually wanted this once when I was younger? I didn't want to be a part of a nation that had to live under the obnoxious liberalism of Obama. (That was before I realized that the world had already entered a fallen state).

I guess this is what I get for bashing my state so many times. Now I find people on CF doing it. :p Eventually I realized that if it weren't for being connected to the US we would definitely be a third world nation with half a dozen coups. But the bread and circuses are enough for the people around here, and it really isn't so bad. Sure, we have problems, but we're immune to most of the ones everybody's scared of "up north".

We don't have to worry about diversity training since we're not diverse (there are only 4 denominations of Christianity present, and really only 2 ethnicities, "white" and "black"), we don't have to worry about people imposing some sort of liberal value on us since they don't exist here, we have no pollution issues, lots of natural and undeveloped land (so we don't have to worry about "man destroying the environment" despite the numerous development projects), and we have shopping centers, restaurants, cars, smartphones, etc.

We're basically just like the rest of America, but "more ghetto", and with bad roads and massive poverty and immorality veiled under a thin guise of nominal Christianity that either seems to be entrenched in Republican policies, or there is just so much poverty that there isn't a way to alleviate it en masse. :confused:

So yeah, it's not so great. But I don't exactly have the freedom to leave any time soon, so I might as well make do with what I have.

But yes, declaring the Bible the state book is essentially a dumb, pointless move which may lead to more mocking of Christianity from the "superior" and "enlightened" "secular humanists" from "more tolerant" states. Unless they decide to not be bigots, but I'm not counting on that.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Would you believe I actually wanted this once when I was younger? I didn't want to be a part of a nation that had to live under the obnoxious liberalism of Obama. (That was before I realized that the world had already entered a fallen state).

I guess this is what I get for bashing my state so many times. Now I find people on CF doing it. :p Eventually I realized that if it weren't for being connected to the US we would definitely be a third world nation with half a dozen coups. But the bread and circuses are enough for the people around here, and it really isn't so bad. Sure, we have problems, but we're immune to most of the ones everybody's scared of "up north".

We don't have to worry about diversity training since we're not diverse (there are only 4 denominations of Christianity present, and really only 2 ethnicities, "white" and "black"), we don't have to worry about people imposing some sort of liberal value on us since they don't exist here, we have no pollution issues, lots of natural and undeveloped land (so we don't have to worry about "man destroying the environment" despite the numerous development projects), and we have shopping centers, restaurants, cars, smartphones, etc.

We're basically just like the rest of America, but "more ghetto", and with bad roads and massive poverty and immorality veiled under a thin guise of nominal Christianity that either seems to be entrenched in Republican policies, or there is just so much poverty that there isn't a way to alleviate it en masse. :confused:

So yeah, it's not so great. But I don't exactly have the freedom to leave any time soon, so I might as well make do with what I have.

But yes, declaring the Bible the state book is essentially a dumb, pointless move which may lead to more mocking of Christianity from the "superior" and "enlightened" "secular humanists" from "more tolerant" states. Unless they decide to not be bigots, but I'm not counting on that.

I lived in south Mississippi, Brookhaven, for a number of years and we had way more than four Christian denominations. Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Pentecostal, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of God, Church of Christ just off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really? I was honestly just thinking of Presbyterian, Baptist, Episcopalian and Methodist as being the four main ones. Yes, others exist, obviously, but from where I lived if I were to get up and say, "I'm going to be Orthodox/Catholic/Muslim/Buddhist", etc., I'd have to go a long ways just to find one religious building for any of these places, since Southern Christianity tends to be one of those four denominations (and where I live they're practically interchangeable, unfortunately).

How'd you like it here, though? :)

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I lived in south Mississippi, Brookhaven, for a number of years and we had way more than four Christian denominations. Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Pentecostal, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of God, Church of Christ just off the top of my head.

Agreed. I was born in Cajun country, and I lived most of my life in East Texas, but I spent a couple of years around Gulfport and Long Beach. There is a lot more to Mississippi than two ethnicities, four denominations, and one political party.

A buddy of mine from Gulfport crashed at my place in Texas for a few weeks after Katrina. He was (and still is) Liberal to the point of being dumb about it. No fear that he'll read this--I make a point of telling him so whenever I see him.

Damn fine food, too, some places in Mississippi. Not always as good as in Lafayette, maybe, but it's something you won't forget.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Really? I was honestly just thinking of Presbyterian, Baptist, Episcopalian and Methodist as being the four main ones. Yes, others exist, obviously, but from where I lived if I were to get up and say, "I'm going to be Orthodox/Catholic/Muslim/Buddhist", etc., I'd have to go a long ways just to find one religious building for any of these places, since Southern Christianity tends to be one of those four denominations (and where I live they're practically interchangeable, unfortunately).

How'd you like it here, though? :)

I enjoyed my time in Mississippi. I lived in Iuka, Senatobia/Horn Lake, and Brookhaven. North Mississippi was a little less humid and the hurricanes had time to degrade to just big thunderstorms. Summer in South Mississippi was miserable.

Upvote 0

StephanieSomer

Mar 16, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
✟12,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems rather ironic to me that so many have said they have no problem with this. Yet, they would likely have a GREAT problem if a state were to do the exact opposite and ban the Bible. What is the difference? Both actions are governmental actions regarding elements of faith, which the Constitution declares they have no power to do. I fear the precedent this could create for another state to actually DO the exact opposite.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Those sorts of things are areal, really. I was in my teens before I met a real Jew, for instance, even though there're evidently thriving Jewish communities only two-hundred miles north and south of where I grew up. There was a mosque in a neighboring town, too, but when I was a kid, I just thought it was yet another Christian church.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we do have good food :)

And I suppose me saying that there were "only four religions" and "only two races" was just exaggeration. We have more, of course, but from my experience whoever doesn't fit the mold seems to just live in the area but not really make a political impact. We do have a Republican problem, though, although it used to be Democrats. I kind of wish the public schools would get better funding, and that SOMETHING was actually done about the immense poverty.

I can remember talking about it with my dad once and he seemed dismissive about anyone in poverty being able to get out of it through financial aid, or at least from the state government.

Still, the place really isn't THAT bad. Safer than Somalia ;)

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems rather ironic to me that so many have said they have no problem with this. Yet, they would likely have a GREAT problem if a state were to do the exact opposite and ban the Bible. What is the difference? Both actions are governmental actions regarding elements of faith, which the Constitution declares they have no power to do. I fear the precedent this could create for another state to actually DO the exact opposite.

The difference is that a "State Book" is only symbolic, and has no force of law behind it. A ban does have force of law.

And government does have the power to control elements of faith. The outlawing of FLDS polygamy, for instance.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. I was born in Cajun country, and I lived most of my life in East Texas, but I spent a couple of years around Gulfport and Long Beach. There is a lot more to Mississippi than two ethnicities, four denominations, and one political party.

A buddy of mine from Gulfport crashed at my place in Texas for a few weeks after Katrina. He was (and still is) Liberal to the point of being dumb about it. No fear that he'll read this--I make a point of telling him so whenever I see him.

Damn fine food, too, some places in Mississippi. Not always as good as in Lafayette, maybe, but it's something you won't forget.

When I was in Submarine school in 1990 there was this kid from Turkey Creek Louisiana and as Cajun as you could get. I surprised the crap out of him when I not only knew where that was at, but the name of the parish it was in. must have been all the Zydeco I was listening to at the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I personally don't have a problem with it, but some people will, and that's what the concern is. My state needs help. Why do you think I was hesitant to reveal I was even from Mississippi? "Undisclosed Southern Location" isn't entirely a joke--I didn't want people thinking I was some dumb hick who stole a computer or just a very provincial Christian. I'm relieved (and maybe a bit distressed as well! :D) to see other sorts of people around here. :)

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Those sorts of things are areal, really. I was in my teens before I met a real Jew, for instance, even though there're evidently thriving Jewish communities only two-hundred miles north and south of where I grew up. There was a mosque in a neighboring town, too, but when I was a kid, I just thought it was yet another Christian church.

I still haven’t met a real Jew.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Having a state book is one thing, but banning the bible would be crossing too many lines.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I was in Submarine school in 1990 there was this kid from Turkey Creek Louisiana and as Cajun as you could get. I surprised the crap out of him when I not only knew where that was at, but the name of the parish it was in. must have been all the Zydeco I was listening to at the time.

ETNUC?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
STSNUC, but did a lot of the same pipeline schools like BERT

I cross-rated to GSE during BERT. Would have been... '87? I just could not stand the thought of being on a submarine. Still can't.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I cross-rated to GSE during BERT. Would have been... '87? I just could not stand the thought of being on a submarine. Still can't.

Small world. I actually got kicked out of A school in San Diego because of an, umm, incident in Mexico. I couldn’t get out of the sub thing though.

Upvote 0