Mississippi to make the Bible the state book.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't see what this accomplishes, though. What's the point of a state book?
I was about to say. I don't even see any reason to be against it. It doesn't actually change anything or give Christianity any power.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Other than being testimony in the face of a mocking world?
Testimony of what? Of the fact that it's undoubtedly the most culturally significant book in the state of Mississippi? I agree with this designation. Nothing wrong with acknowledging cultural influences.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't do much here in MS, though. Everybody nominally swears allegiance to Christ already (but let me tell you, there are plenty of non-Christians here as well). I don't think most would care or notice, and seeing as the measure has no real legal benefit or significance it just seems like a sort of acknowledgement of the large Christian population in the state.

I've actually had times in my life where I considered that a disadvantage. I sometimes wonder if people would discount my faith if I ever attempted to live it out by saying something like, "Oh, well you're just a Christian since that's what you were raised in". Admittedly, they're partially right. I was "raised" Christian for a large portion of my life, but I didn't actually BECOME one up until recently. My younger brother, for example: I have my concerns about his soul, but he's young right now (only 13) and so I don't bother with him about that sort of thing.

To God, there's a big difference between two Christians if one is real and one is just doing the motions, but to the average person there's no difference at all.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have to agree with this bit, though:

"It's impossible to conceive of a state abandoning its literary heritage like that," said Wells, director of a small publishing house in Oxford, Yoknapatawpha Press. "What would Faulkner and (Eudora) Welty and Shelby Foote and Richard Wright think? I think they would collectively link arms and say, 'Go back to kindergarten, Legislature.'"

- source

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're 19. All you have is a recently.

I refer you to 1 Timothy 4:12 ;)

But seriously, I've had quite a bit of experience with stuff, mainly with things that a lot of people my age and younger never had to worry about. My life wasn't exactly perfect growing up due to my mental issues. Coming to Christ is helping me begin the process of resolving all of that. :)

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just saw the source. Bipartisan?!?! I agree with that one guy who said it could bring lawsuits. Now that I think about it, making the Bible a state book could definitely be seen as an endorsement. The state's only hope is that no anti-Christian person (I say that because I feel like the average non-Christian coming here wouldn't know or care that the Bible was the "state book") ever appears on the scene to sue the state government. Mississippi is broke enough already, we don't need more trouble.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I got a feeling somebody is going to challenge this, but maybe not. Ohio's state motto is a a paraphrase of a bible verse. "With God, all things are possible." I don't think anybody has raised a stink about that. At least not as long as I have been alive.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ah yes, the State with the highest rates of obesity, divorce, inappropriate contentography, and teen pregnancy publicly announcing their self-righteousness. :doh:

Perhaps you'd like to move there. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grandvizier1006

Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah yes, the State with the highest rates of obesity, divorce, inappropriate contentography, and teen pregnancy publicly announcing their self-righteousness. :doh:

:blush: Yes, it's true. But no need to rub it in :doh:

(Also, I think we're also highest for drunk driving and illiteracy, but don't quote me on that :D)

Upvote 0
S

stellalunaCW

Mississippi also ranks in the bottom three on both college and high school attainment rates. It has the lowest life expectancy and lowest median household income in the U.S.--and the highest poverty rate.

I'm not sure naming a state book should be at the top of any list of priorities.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mississippi also ranks in the bottom three on both college and high school attainment rates. It has the lowest life expectancy and lowest median household income in the U.S.--and the highest poverty rate.

It's resolved: M-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-humpback-humpback-i should be expelled from the union, for the benefit of all parties.

At least then they could apply for foreign aid....

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems like incompetent politicians tickle religious fancies among the people majority in order to stay in power. If they don't have a religion they use the next best thing: a false common enemy. Sometimes they like to combine them both to distract folks from their idiocy.

Upvote 0