Mississippi to make the Bible the state book.

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? With the Bible the official State book, anything you do in Its name is officially sanctioned by the state...

...at least, that's how they'll see it.

Possibly. I did wonder that. Its about time the US started sanctioning some of what the Bible says. Perhaps then this holocaust against innocent babies would end. Perhaps then the poor will be helped and supported. Perhaps healthcare will be made available to all in need of it. Perhaps children with same sex attraction issues won't be persuaded that they gay and that they can allow their bodies to be used for unnatural purposes

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Even so, a law like this does not violate the Constitution.

Really? What's the overriding secular legislative need addressed by having the government promote the Holy Book of one particular religious group over those of all others?

Reactions: Gwenyfur
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No. The state <anything> is a symbolic that that's virtually meaningless.

Then there's "virtually" no reason to get upset if people object to the idea and shoot it down in court, right?

I'm not ignoring what you say towards the bottom of your post, more using your comment as a springboard for questions to people who seem to like this idea. Seems like the best defenses for this are "it doesn't really matter, all you non-Christians should just get over it". If people really believe this move is meaningless, then they should have no problem with the courts overturning it since that's meaningless as well.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I can take atheists or agnostics. Being a citizens of the USA born in the USA and raised around other United Statesians, I can take so-called "Americans" too. What I have problems with are the masses of flat out ignorant "Americans."

Agreed. There are some well educated and well spoken ones, however there is far too many who are ignorant and proud of it.

The United States Government was formed as a secular nation-state, not an officially atheist nation-state. That would be China or the former Soviet Union.

Exactly, and that's the reason why governments should not be making religious texts their official book.

You're making the leap that if the government doesn't pass this bill then Mississippi is somehow endorsing atheism. Or that a state that doesn't give some measure of support to religion therefore gives support to the atheists. That's just flat out wrong.

An endorsement of atheism would be if Mississippi passed a bill that said it's the official position of the state that god doesn't exist, and that all religions are fake. That's not what's happening here (and if that was the bill up for question, I would not support it either for the same reasons as the bible bill. It'd be a violation of the first amendment.)

A secular government gives no preference to any religious group. The government is not allowed to officially endorse the idea that there is no god, and the government is also not allowed to officially endorse any religion, religious group or holy text.

You yourself said that it's a secular country, as such, the government should not be giving endorsements (even symbolic ones) to a particular religion.

Religious freedom I would argue, indicates Mississippi can in fact make the Bible the state book, and Michigan can make the Koran the state book of Michigan.

No, religious freedom would mean the citizens of Mississippi or Michigan are free to practice whatever religion they want, or free to practice no religion at all without any government coercion.

"Separation of state and church is not explicitly stated" in the U.S. Constitution but it's inferred just the same way the Catholic Church infers from the Bible, "You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church and the Gates of hell shall never prevail against it," that the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus as Peter as it's first Pope and that all churches are called to be in unity with the Pope.

Civil Law as in Louisiana is in part differentiated from Common Law in that no Judge can twist and jack the law code but is as subject to it as every other person. Whereas in common law the laws are written so convoluted and judges are the sole interpreters of the law using "precedents" as their standards to twist and jack the law every which way. So, when it comes to the law "Americans" are very much "Catholic-like" in that they depend on an elite group of Bishops (judges) to tell them what the "law" says. Civil Law is more like the "by the bible only" Protestant in which any man can read and interpret the law.

I'm saying all this because there is a thing called "state rights" in the USA by which the Federal Government is not supposed to be a dictator. State "governments" (who have their own supreme courts, own "congress," and own "presidents" called Governors) might be thought of as micro-level democracies. More micro would be city government in which people in a city vote for mayors and aldermans.

The more "state rights" the more democratic freedoms in theory. What people of Mississippi may democratically vote for may not be what citizens of Wisconsin democratically vote for.

So, this crosses into state rights too. A state book is not necessarily--logically--the same thing as a state religion (the official religion of a state), however, in Common Law slick mouth lawyers and biased judges might construe it to be so.

The point you're missing though is that this is a constitutional issue. How the public votes on the issue is irrelevant if the vote subject is unconstitutional. That's the reason why if people voted to bring back slavery, it doesn't matter, slavery is still going to be illegal because of constitutional protections.

The United States is not a pure democracy, it was founded as a constitutional republic and remains so to this day. John Adams said the main reason for the bill of rights and the constitution as a whole is to protect minorities from the "tyranny of the majority".

In other words, the majority doesn't need constitutional protections, the minority position on a given issue does need those protections to prevent their rights from being trampled in a "mob rule" scenario.

This story is a shining example of how that system was designed to work.

"Common Law" was established by the Normans (French) who conquered England and established said law system by which the English would follow. Part of the fundamentals of Common Law was that judges deciding cases were to inform their judgements by the customs and traditions of the people (in this case Anglos and Saxons Englishmen).

So, it would be within keeping of Common Law for Mississippi to bear in mind the history, the cultural history of the customs and traditions of Mississippi. In this case... what literary work might have impacted the customs and traditions of Mississippi the most? Perhaps the Bible some in Mississippi argue.

I live in Wisconsin, so, the people of Mississippi an make whatever book they want as the state book as they choose.

However, in doing so they violate the first amendment to the United States constitution. So, no.... they can not choose that book as their state book.

If they want to pick another book that doesn't lead to an unconstitutional endorsement of religion, then so be it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Possibly. I did wonder that. Its about time the US started sanctioning some of what the Bible says. Perhaps then this holocaust against innocent babies would end.

Psalm 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Perhaps then the poor will be helped and supported.

Do Christians need the government to tell them to do that? They've howled "Welfare State!" about it in the past.

Perhaps healthcare will be made available to all in need of it.

Obama already tried that -- witness the result.

Perhaps children with same sex attraction issues won't be persuaded that they gay and that they can allow their bodies to be used for unnatural purposes

Instead their parents can force them into conversion therapy... and when the kids refuse...

Deuteronomy 18:18-21 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Now of course, you're going to point out that you only said it's time to sanction some of what the Bible says... But Mississippi didn't make some of the Bible their official State book, did they?

Do you honestly expect that you would be the one to determine which parts of the Bible get sanctioned, and which do not?

If you want Christianity to be put under government authority, be my guest... just be aware that the results may not be to your liking.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Possibly. I did wonder that. Its about time the US started sanctioning some of what the Bible says. Perhaps then this holocaust against innocent babies would end.

Here's what the bible has to say about abortion and "killing babies":

What the Bible says about abortion

Is that the position you would like the government to endorse?

Perhaps then the poor will be helped and supported.

That's a decidedly anti-republican policy.

Perhaps healthcare will be made available to all in need of it.

That's also a decidedly anti-republican policy.

Perhaps children with same sex attraction issues won't be persuaded that they gay and that they can allow their bodies to be used for unnatural purposes

So do you endorse the idea that homosexuals are worthy of death as an alternative?

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
And the slippery slope of Theocracy begins...
Yet these same people condemn Theocracies elsewhere in the world.

So while our US Constitution 1st Ammendment says
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

We have a state government doing exactly that?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Granted, it's just symbolic, but it might violate their state constitution. This is the language of Article I, Sect. 7 of Missouri's constitution:

Section 7. Public aid for religious purposes—preferences and discriminations on religious grounds.—
That no money shall ever be taken from the public treasury, directly or indirectly, in aid of any church, sect or denomination of religion, or in aid of any priest, preacher, minister or teacher thereof, as such; and that no preference shall be given to nor any discrimination made against any church, sect or creed of religion, or any form of religious faith or worship.

If this were ever to come up in Missouri, I think a case could be made that recognizing the Bible as an official state symbol is giving preference to a specific form of religious faith. I believe most states have similar constitutional language. But maybe not Miss.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/pubs/Missouri_...13_spreads.pdf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Possibly. I did wonder that. Its about time the US started sanctioning some of what the Bible says. Perhaps then this holocaust against innocent babies would end. Perhaps then the poor will be helped and supported. Perhaps healthcare will be made available to all in need of it. Perhaps children with same sex attraction issues won't be persuaded that they gay and that they can allow their bodies to be used for unnatural purposes

How about no?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Granted, it's just symbolic, but it might violate their state constitution.

Great idea. Let's look:

SECTION 18.
No religious test as a qualification for office shall be required; and no preference shall be given by law to any religious sect or mode of worship; but the free enjoyment of all religious sentiments and the different modes of worship shall be held sacred. The rights hereby secured shall not be construed to justify acts of licentiousness injurious to morals or dangerous to the peace and safety of the state, or to exclude the Holy Bible from use in any public school of this state.

Hmmm... the Mississippi constitution almost contradicts itself there.

The theocrats of MS should just point to that bit of their Constitution and consider it a victory for the Holy Bible.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Possibly. I did wonder that. Its about time the US started sanctioning some of what the Bible says.

Or maybe the people who want to live under a theocracy go live in one. The US was never intended to promote any one religion. This is the founding principle of our nation and very much the reason The United States even exists.

To change that IMO, would be un-American.

Upvote 0