Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lefty filmmaker Michael Moore calls ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle a ‘coward’; reaction is furious! - BizPac Review

Moore's comment:
My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

Seems to be creating quite an uproar...

For me personally, I respect Moore's first amendment right to insult anyone he chooses...but knowing Moore, I'm inclined to believe he has an agenda of some kind he's trying to further.

It's no secret that Moore has been very critical of the US military in general and has been very vocal about his stance on guns. Is he trying to make a political statement at the expense of a dead soldier?...or has he simply been reduced to nothing more than a twitter troll? (not that he was much more than a troll to begin with...he's simply found a new platform :p)

Anyone care to discuss?

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lefty filmmaker Michael Moore calls ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle a ‘coward’; reaction is furious! - BizPac Review

Moore's comment:
My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

For me personally, I respect Moore's first amendment right to insult anyone he chooses...but knowing Moore, I'm inclined to believe he has an agenda of some kind he's trying to further.

It's no secret that Moore has been very critical of the US military in general and has been very vocal about his stance on guns. Is he trying to make a political statement at the expense of a dead soldier?...or has he simply been reduced to nothing more than a twitter troll? (not that he was much more than a troll to begin with...he's simply found a new platform :p)

Anyone care to discuss?

As the movie showed, Kyle killed to save lives. Nothing cowardly about that.

And, again, as the movie shows, He often led patrols, which is not cowardly.

Incidentally, the movie doesn't show the fact that Kyle was wounded twice and had to have multiple knee surgeries for injuries sustained in Iraq. Not exactly the sign of a coward.

Saw the movie Friday night and plan to go see it again on Wednesday with my sons. I can't recommend it highly enough. Not only is it a fine memorial to an America hero, it also celebrates values I never thought I'd see portrayed positively by Hollywood.

Having spent my early life involved in rodeo, I was interested to learn that Kyle was a cowboy before he enlisted.

What has Michael Moore ever done except shovel food down his big mouth and sleep soundly under the blanket of protection provided by men like Chris Kyle?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
No surprise here. It’s a good thing that there are enough cowards that can pass the physical requirements to fill the ranks of the Armed Forces so Mr. Moore can make his movies and do trips to Cuba.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Moore's comment:

Anyone care to discuss?

There are plenty of soldiers memoirs that explain the fear of snipers and the disdain that general infantry had for enemy snipers, and the treatment they would be subject to if they were captured alive (hint: it wasn't very nice).

I don't like Moore, but he is really just repeating the personal views of his uncle, which were common through many conflicts. Yes, he has a political point to make re US aggression and the war on terror (or whatever its called now), but the comment is impersonal and open to interpretation.

First person accounts I've read from WW1, WW2, the Korean War and Vietnam all have a similar theme when dealing with soldiers thinking on snipers: no sniper was ever going to change the outcome of a battle, but they could kill or wound at any time and the fear of them was pervasive, totally disproportionate to their numbers and effectiveness.

Unline a mortar or artillery round (the major killers of infantry in large scale conflicts), a tank or another soldier, a sniper's bullet came with no warning and the attacker was unseen. Snipers hunted you, personally and soldiers tend to take that personally.

Another common thread among the thinking of infantry soldiers was that snipers deliberately shot to main or wound rather than kill outright.

US Army Sergeant Thomas Blahnik on his 'Sniper Country' website, states this:

It is a common myth throughout the world that "snipers are cowards." I have heard that phrase uttered hundreds of times, yet I continue to shake my head at these misinformed people. Far from cowardly, snipers are very brave individuals.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw a segment about this on the news last night. Michael Moore claims that the comment was not regarding American Sniper. That could be disingenuous backpedaling, but since his main form of exercising is tap dancing for spotlight attention and ruffling feathers, if he truly was referring to the movie it seems he'd be delighted by the controversy the Tweet caused and would own it instead of issuing clarifications.

Michael Moore clarifies sniper tweets, Seth Rogen chimes in on "American Sniper" - CBS News

Oh. ETA. Seth Rogen also made some Tweets that some took differently than his stated intent, and if you scroll down through the article you can see them.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If he had to back up his words with action, MM wouldn't be able to say a word.

Snipers are very good at excising a problem in the middle of a field of human shields.
He not only insults military snipers but also law enforcement snipers.

There is a time and place for snipers.

He loves the attention he gets. Maybe he should lose some weight, join the military and see what its like defending freedoms.

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If he had to back up his words with action, MM wouldn't be able to say a word.

Snipers are very good at excising a problem in the middle of a field of human shields.
He not only insults military snipers but also law enforcement snipers.

There is a time and place for snipers.

He loves the attention he gets. Maybe he should lose some weight, join the military and see what its like defending freedoms.

I guess this post just lost credibility by following the same road as Moore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw a segment about this on the news last night. Michael Moore claims that the comment was not regarding
Moore:
"Lots of talk about snipers this weekend (the holiday weekend of a great man, killed by a sniper), so I thought I'd weigh in with what I was raised to believe about snipers. My dad was in the First Marine Division in the South Pacific in World War II," Moore wrote. "His brother, my uncle, Lawrence Moore, was an Army paratrooper and was killed by a Japanese sniper 70 years ago next month. My dad always said, 'Snipers are cowards. They don't believe in a fair fight. Like someone coming up from behind you and coldcocking you. Just isn't right. It's cowardly to shoot a person in the back. Only a coward will shoot someone who can't shoot back.'"

I suppose one's view might depend on which side one is on.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The best sniper movie I've ever seen is Enemy At The Gates, though I'm sure Moore would like it because the bad guy was a Nazi and the good guy was a Soviet.

Did you read the book? It's a very powerful and disturbing account of the Battle of Stalingrad.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing that if someone were running unseen towards Michael Moore with a bomb, he'd want the sniper on the roof to simply stand down and do nothing. He'd be happily blown up without complaint. Or maybe he'd want someone to yell out a warning so he could turn around and fight the suicider bomber with his fists and his rapier wit. At least that wouldn't be "cowardly" like expecting the sniper to take the guy down.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Times have changed. Consider the tale of Audie Murphy, a World War II highly decorated hero who came back and went into film, eventually playing himself and recreating on film some of the deeds he performed in combat. At that time in history valor against the enemy was lauded.

Not so much anymore. John Wayne couldn't be in the type of films he stared in today, he would be ridiculed right out of Hollywood.

It is no surprise to me Chris Kyle's story and this movie are being targeted by guys like Moore. Moore is incapable of understanding the dedication and sacrifice required to accomplish what Kyle did, so he attacks the legacy of a man superior to him in every conceivable manner.

Unlike following WWII and perhaps Korea, by many in the United States today war-fighters are not held in the esteem they once were. Many on the left feel as Moore does, that those who dedicate themselves to actually trying to defend something, those who actually risk all in the service of their country, are the ones who are flawed and deficient. This is not only wrong but sad.

I was never a Navy Seal but I did, on a few occasions, work with them. To use an analogy they are the Peyton Mannings or the Aaron Rodgers of the military profession, the very top of the line rivaled only perhaps by Delta Force operators. Military service even in a basic line unit is something a relatively small percentage of people are capable of doing. Achieving the status of Navy Seal sniper is something an incredibly small percentage of military personal are capable of. It is no small achievement.

Chris Kyle and those like him deserve the respect of all Americans. If Moore, and those who think like him, are incapable of offering respect, they should just shut up, primarily because not one of them could do what Kyle did.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If I ever had to go to war I would rather be surrounded by cowards and grim old soldiers who intend to get home alive along with their squadmates.

BTW in a bogged down war, e.g. anything besides an active attack or firefight, it is the sniper who becomes the prime target of the enemy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Times have changed. Consider the tale of Audie Murphy, a World War II highly decorated hero who came back and went into film, eventually playing himself and recreating on film some of the deeds he performed in combat. At that time in history valor against the enemy was lauded.

Not so much anymore. John Wayne couldn't be in the type of films he stared in today, he would be ridiculed right out of Hollywood.

It is no surprise to me Chris Kyle's story and this movie are being targeted by guys like Moore. Moore is incapable of understanding the dedication and sacrifice required to accomplish what Kyle did, so he attacks the legacy of a man superior to him in every conceivable manner.

Unlike following WWII and perhaps Korea, by many in the United States today war-fighters are not held in the esteem they once were. Many on the left feel as Moore does, that those who dedicate themselves to actually trying to defend something, those who actually risk all in the service of their country, are the ones who are flawed and deficient. This is not only wrong but sad.

I was never a Navy Seal but I did, on a few occasions, work with them. To use an analogy they are the Peyton Mannings or the Aaron Rodgers of the military profession, the very top of the line rivaled only perhaps by Delta Force operators. Military service even in a basic line unit is something a relatively small percentage of people are capable of doing. Achieving the status of Navy Seal sniper is something an incredibly small percentage of military personal are capable of. It is no small achievement.

Chris Kyle and those like him deserve the respect of all Americans. If Moore, and those who think like him, are incapable of offering respect, they should just shut up, primarily because not one of them could do what Kyle did.

Well said.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard a conversation on the radio about an hour ago. It went something like "If I were in a dangerous situation where I might get shot, I'd rather have a 'coward' in front of me that Moore. Wait, maybe considering his size.......well never mind."

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the movie showed, Kyle killed to save lives. Nothing cowardly about that.

And, again, as the movie shows, He often led patrols, which is not cowardly.

Incidentally, the movie doesn't show the fact that Kyle was wounded twice and had to have multiple knee surgeries for injuries sustained in Iraq. Not exactly the sign of a coward.

Saw the movie Friday night and plan to go see it again on Wednesday with my sons. I can't recommend it highly enough. Not only is it a fine memorial to an America hero, it also celebrates values I never thought I'd see portrayed positively by Hollywood.

Having spent my early life involved in rodeo, I was interested to learn that Kyle was a cowboy before he enlisted.

What has Michael Moore ever done except shovel food down his big mouth and sleep soundly under the blanket of protection provided by men like Chris Kyle?

I work with a person who served at the same time in the same area as Kyle and met him a few times. This person said the movie was very realistic and representative of the conditions and situations at that time.

I wonder if Moore would have the same opinion of snipers if an American sniper had taken out the enemy sniper before his uncle was shot? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Cowardly are the terrorists who use woman and children shields and suicide bombers.

Upvote 0