N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've done 14 hr hikes before but did not get sore and only lost few lbs of body weight to the activity.

Hiking is a much lower intensity, much lower heart rate activity than fast-paced cycling or running so it's not hard to someone who is not overweight.
The point was not that its hard, the point was that while eating carbs I experienced soreness in muscles or pains in joints. On animal based diet, I do not experience it. If its because of low inflammation, more collagen or better regeneration, I do not know.

It's really nice with the holidays approaching fast and in times of serious food shortages where being picky with what you eat puts you in a disadvantaged situation.

Those in keto diets could not just eat a high carb meal on a whim or make a sudden switch to high carb diet because their metabolism will react to sudden increase of carb intake similar to someone with diabetes type 2. It's a bit problematic in a survival situation.
So far, I do not see any need to eat more carbs apart from few berries or few nuts. I have lost any taste for pastry, sugar, sweets, chocolate, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweet fruit and similar things, so I do not crave them and therefore I have no motivation to eat them again.

Thankfully, I do not need to eat cheap carbs to survive, that would be a different situation, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1) Associations are typically suggestive of causation.
Not sure how you define "typically". Association says nothing about causation. Sometimes, the association indicates causation, but mostly it does not.

2) There are plenty of clinical studies that demonstrate that increasing saturated fat in the diet of humans and animals leads to both higher LDL cholesterol
There is no LDL cholesterol. LDL is not a cholesterol. LDL is a carrier.

and cardiovascular disease.
No, there is none properly done study proving that saturated fat leads to CVD. After all those decades of this hypothesis - none. Actually, this myth has been continuously scientifically debunked last years, again and again.

Smoking, sugars, alcohol, seed oils, obesity, bad sleep, not moving, constant inflammation and stress lead to CVD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure how you define "typically". Association says nothing about causation. Sometimes, the association indicates causation, but mostly it does not.

There is no LDL cholesterol. LDL is not a cholesterol. LDL is a carrier.

Quibbling over semantics. In the US, LDL cholesterol commonly refers to the quantity of cholesterol carried by low density lipoproteins.

No, there is none properly done study proving that saturated fat leads to CVD. After all those decades of this hypothesis - none. Actually, this myth has been continuously scientifically debunked last years, again and again.

This kind of skepticism cannot be justified. Just because we don't fully understand the mechanisms concerning how cardiovascular disease progresses doesn't mean we aren't justified in assuming there is a causal link, given the strength of evidence. We didn't need to understand the mechanism of how cigarette smoking caused lung cancer, either, to know that it did so, based on epidemiological evidence and clinical data.

Smoking, sugars, alcohol, seed oils, obesity, bad sleep, not moving, constant inflammation and stress lead to CVD.

The sugar industry was not a significant influence on government guidelines to reduce saturated fat.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The point was not that its hard, the point was that while eating carbs I experienced soreness in muscles or pains in joints. On animal based diet, I do not experience it. If its because of low inflammation, more collagen or better regeneration, I do not know.

I think it's mainly from ketones since you're on a low carb diet.

We're both exercising under ketosis (me under a fasted state) and seeing the same results compared to glucose-fueled workouts and there's research showing that ketones may help minimize muscle tissue damage (the cause of soreness) during workouts.

I'm under ketosis more than 12 hrs a day from intermittent fasting and limiting my meals to only twice a day. I recognize it from the smell and the only time I don't smell ketones is between dinner and the morning after waking up.

However, I may have higher Growth Hormone (GH) levels from greater blood sugar fluctuations from my high carb diet and stress. GH have similar function to ketones concerning muscle maintenance but GH has the additional benefit of improving mood when exercising and when dealing with psychological stress.

So far, I do not see any need to eat more carbs apart from few berries or few nuts. I have lost any taste for pastry, sugar, sweets, chocolate, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweet fruit and similar things, so I do not crave them and therefore I have no motivation to eat them again.

Thankfully, I do not need to eat cheap carbs to survive, that would be a different situation, of course.

Good for you! I don't actually like rice but it's cheap.

I just eat whatever is available and whatever is offered. If someone offers me ice cream, I'll eat it. It's fuel and need more fuel these days from more intense training. I have additional goals for next year and that is completing a marathon distance in a run at a competitive pace. Not actually joining marathons but want to see if I have chance of winning.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quibbling over semantics. In the US, LDL cholesterol commonly refers to the quantity of cholesterol carried by low density lipoproteins.
Its a good test whether an article or source is just repeating "the common narrative" or is really scientific. It filters lazy scientists and
researches from the real ones.

This kind of skepticism cannot be justified. Just because we don't fully understand the mechanisms concerning how cardiovascular disease progresses doesn't mean we aren't justified in assuming there is a causal link, given the strength of evidence.
The evidence is not strong, its very weak.

We didn't need to understand the mechanism of how cigarette smoking caused lung cancer, either, to know that it did so, based on epidemiological evidence and clinical data.
We know how the mechanism works, because the mechanism is there. It was not found for cholesterol or saturated fats even after decades.

This is just an opinion, a literary exercise of authors. Observational studies, "may reduce", "may influence", "impacts remain uncertain" and similar and in the end their quite useless guess-recommendation.

The sugar industry was not a significant influence on government guidelines to reduce saturated fat.
The government guidelines are a special chapter about politics, industry (and in the USA even religious dogma - SDA) interests winning over science and public health.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny how with all the terrible food we eat, life expectancy is far higher than when people ate supposedly healthy foods. A recent reason to panic is PFAS. Everyone has some in their body, apparently. Along with fat, COVID vaccinations, pesticides, gluten and peanuts, the human race should be extinct before too long.

I'm 72. I've seen too many "scientific" pronouncements on diet to be anything but sceptical. Since the obsession with low fat everything began, obesity rates are sky high. Butter was bad, now it is acceptable. Milk is bad for you too, so I'm told. So why did God sent Israel to a land flowing with milk and honey?
All the more reasons to look into the science than make excuses. I'm 63 (wife 68) and want to live as long as possible with a good quality of life. I and my wife are reversing our diseases, we are proactive. You and your wife can reverse your diseases but you have to educate yourself and not allow the devil to kill you. Everyone has their worldview and is boxed in with their views not able to investigate anything that goes against their ego, or Pride.

• Optimistic
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
All the more reasons to look into the science than make excuses. I'm 63 (wife 68) and want to live as long as possible with a good quality of life. I and my wife are reversing our diseases, we are proactive. You and your wife can reverse your diseases but you have to educate yourself and not allow the devil to kill you. Everyone has their worldview and is boxed in with their views not able to investigate anything that goes against their ego, or Pride.
I look into God's word. Moses had no access to science but he lived for 120 years. I've found no health benefit from vitamin C, cider vinegar, cutting out various foods supposedly bad for me, all for nothing. I don't eat a lot of fatty foods, I eat fish twice a week and I have a high fibre diet. If possible, I avoid sugar. Just before I got out of hospital, I was seen by the dietician. I'd lost 5 kg. This brought me to my supposedly ideal weight. The dietician told me she was worried that I'd lost too much. Go figure. She gave me a comprehensive review of what I was eating. All the boxes were ticked.

I do not believe in a one size fits all solution. The Lord told me I needed to eat a lot of fibre and more fish. So I eat muesli every day. You are right that Satan seeks to end the life of God's people prematurely. I resist the spirit of death when it starts putting thoughts of death in my mind. I don't care for myself as I know where I'm going. But there is work to do and I'm not done yet.

• Prayers
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I look into God's word. Moses had no access to science but he lived for 120 years.....The Lord told me I needed to eat a lot of fibre and more fish. So I eat muesli every day.
Did Moses eat muesli? :) Or fish, for that matter?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

When I'm looking for science, I prefer reading gov't and academic studies than watching online videos. At least such sources of info are less influenced by money-making schemes. Video presenters can make money just by showing other people's work and there lies the problem.

I came from a generation that spent time in libraries, reading actual, physical books to gain knowledge. At least, I carried the habit over by reading e-papers or e-books and discerning the truth for myself.

It's harder to gain knowledge this way but you get better quality info than video "clickbaits". It's hard to trust video presenters when they lie about the title of their video through gross exaggeration just to get more views. What else did they lie about to get more following? All of it for money.

Ironically, the one thing experts seem to unanimously agree on is fasting because no one can make money on fasting unless you exaggerate the facts and make a video about it. Otherwise food industries cannot make money on fasting because fasting actually makes you crave food less if you do it regularly. Fasting cannot manipulate food prices because it doesn't concern food choices.

Experts also agree on exercise but greedy corporations have used exercise as platform to sell overpriced workout-specific food products that are mostly just a waste of money even for those who exercise a lot and may actually make you less healthy.

Unbiased research on the subject, none of them recommends taking these products. Those products are more like a drug and makes you dependent on them. They may improve workout performance. But the thing is, you'll also improve workout performance without them eventually. It's all about adaptation and our bodies are really good at adaption if you're just patient with it. The companies capitalize on people's desire to get immediate or short-term gains at the cost of poorer metabolic health and unneeded expenses than if you did it without.

• Prayers
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0