Media/Magic: What's a proper stance on Harry Potter/stories in Ancient Christendom?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I heard folks say the same about A Christmas Carol, because it promotes paganism with the three spirits and Jacob Marley's Ghost, and they neglect that the focus of the story is the repentence and salvation of Scrooge.
Whatever one's own views on ghosts would probably make a world of difference, IMHO.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62328112 said:
Dick Van Dyke is enough reason to watch the film, but I'd be good watching it if Julie Andrews was playing a lead role in the film.

Still wonder what exactly she was. Obviously she had a lot of magical things present - but I never knew if she was some sort of enchantress or a witch or something else entitely..and some of the debates on the issue (be it thoughts from those into Paganism/Wicca or those who are believers or those who are atheists) have been interesting:
Always makes for good discussion.

Apart from that, at times she did seem pretty vain - paticularly when she'd claim no flaws in herself. "Practically perfect in every way" my foot:)^_^
Hmmm. I never thought she was a witch or mermaid or anything like that. Just a special lady. :D

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm. I never thought she was a witch or mermaid or anything like that. Just a special lady. :D
Special lady with some serious skills in Hoodooor Voodoo and some kind of magic^_^:D

I did dig her bag, as I was wanting to have one at some point that could fit that much stuff in it - although the umbrella she came in on always had me a bit intimidated when thinking on how dangerous it was.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62336031 said:
Special lady with some serious skills in Hoodooor Voodoo and some kind of magic^_^:D

I did dig her bag, as I was wanting to have one at some point that could fit that much stuff in it - although the umbrella she came in on always had me a bit intimidated when thinking on how dangerous it was.

I wanted to fly when I was a kid. One time, I jumped off with open umbrella in hand, a high platform that had a slide. I floated for about two seconds. ^_^

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I dont know how "ancient christiandom" feels about it..
Odd - seeing that the term was used often to describe the Church/other groups around during its beginnings. To be clear, my use of the term, "Ancient Christendom" (as other Orthodox, be it Oriential or Eastern, have noted before on differing ocassions in use of language and never saw issue with it) is being the Church Fathers, Desert Fathers/Monastics, the Early Church from the first 5 centuries, etc....all of whom had to deal with issues of wrestling with the surrounding culture/paganism and finding ways of representing Christ without compromising or letting their culture influence them more so. Some of that has already been shared in the discussion..

The Orthodox views are only of matter to the Orthodox
Thus, one would need to give evidence on what the early Church/Orthodox from that era actually said and practiced on the matter as others have done. Truth is Truth and will be applicable to all generations, regardless of affiliation. And the example of the early Church is always the example - be it with how they handled times of war/battle, their views on involvement with the government, how they felt on slavery or a host of other issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wanted to fly when I was a kid. One time, I jumped off with open umbrella in hand, a high platform that had a slide. I floated for about two seconds. ^_^
Am very sorry that you had that experience - although it is hilarious^_^:D Reminds me of the time others I knew tried to replicate Jesus walking on water like Matthew 14 describes - and truly believed they could do it. Of course, they only lasted for about 3 seconds when closing their eyes before plunging in:)

On a serious note, I value the memories of others doing things as kids based on what they saw in children media - be it with Mary Poppins or other films. The imagination required to jump off a platform with an umbrella is priceless - and truthfully, it is things like that which have actually caused others to try/defy certain laws. People heard stories of men/women flying magically at times when others said "there's no way man can fly" - and thus, the attempts were made till you ended up with the airplane being invented....and now flying has become commonplace for man. Who knows if perhaps someday flying with an umbrella will be an easy form of transportation:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
she was just a modern era fairy tale. I think folks (not you Gxg) who are all alarmist about this stuff make problems just as bad as those who go out of their way to look for any kind of paganism
I agree. There's a level of imagination that makes a world of difference.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
she was just a modern era fairy tale. I think folks (not you Gxg) who are all alarmist about this stuff make problems just as bad as those who go out of their way to look for any kind of paganism
It does seem a lot of people feel that choosing to not be alarmist means one allows anything to get in the way and thus they feel they have to always be on alert

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62341901 said:
It does seem a lot of people feel that choosing to not be alarmist means one allows anything to get in the way and thus they feel they have to always be on alert

indeed

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On
dr-seuss-cat-in-hat-2.jpg

This thread has been cleaned of a few posts.
Please stay on topic and avoid debate.
Thanks

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0