Media/Magic: What's a proper stance on Harry Potter/stories in Ancient Christendom?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, they didn't endorse paganism wholesale. They adapted some of the good things from non-Christian sources to be able to better explain the faith to those outside of the Church. I'm not suggesting we just accept things like Harry Potter and magic as something we should teach our kids to emulate. But there is good within the Harry Potter stories that can be adapted to help people express certain aspects of their faith. The problem with so much of modern Christian thinking is so either/or with very little both/and. This has led to too many extremes. There is a balance in everything and we have to find that balance rather than sit on the extreme side of everything.
Can definately understand what you're saying. Although I don't feel comfortable using Harry Potter overall and don't think it's a paticularly safe resource to utilize for teaching, one would not be honest in saying there are no themes present in it which can be applied to the lives of believers - as it concerns things like good overcoming evil, loyalty to friends and other things.

I've seen the same principle whenever it comes to outreach or discussing with friends on music/culture. A pracitical example would be discussing some lyrics by Tupac (EDITED of course, Ephesians 5:3-7,)and showing where what he said was of merit (lest we’re not on the same page that every culture/religion has an aspect of Truth in it), what was off and directing people toward the larger picture of CHRIST/HIS WORDS.

I'm definitely all for Christians engaging [responsibly] with media..and I think Christian engagement with media can and should be seen as a two-way conversation. God can and does speak, even through sources we may consider unlikely. Recall Acts 17 at Mars Hill - there was an issue of cultural concession in Pauls's time for the sake of spreading the Gospel ties right in to the issue of using movies in culture to do the same today. Paul capitalized on the "unknown God" and used it as a springboard to tell them about the one true God...but in another sense, he quoted a mystical love poem written to Zeus, as if it's subject were the one true God. It's really not a far cry from "grooving to the latest song to Zeus saying it should be sung to Yahweh"..........saying, essentially, "this is what you've been worshiping, ignorantly, and this is the fuller meaning of what you've been doing"....and I do think one can see that as "justifying" what they've been doing, not simply contradicting the worship of "the unknown god".

I think part of the struggle that occurs is that it often seems that just because a good principle or teaching can be gleamed from something, it is taken as a sign that the source one gleams from is approvable. And that always opens the door for things when there's not wisdom or caution. I don't, for example, think that Tupac having many powerful points in his music is a sign that one should listen to the music of Tupac - or other musicians in what they put out since you implicitly allow for a cross-cultural exchange of thought. The same thing goes for media. One can watch horror films like "Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Jason" and other films - and perhaps see some excellent points on leadership or being resourceful when seeing how the characters react....but that wouldn't mean one goes looking for things in those films/digesting them. Same with other films, be it those with sexual joking in them or extreme gore in them.

A lot of people ended up being compromised in differing ways when it came to wishing to learn - and although some may be called to deal with such (just as Daniel and his friends had to study the literature/language of the Babylonians in Daniel 1), I wonder how often it opens the door for things. The entire concept of allowance not being something that indicates acceptance/the best decisions ( 1 Corinthians 6:11-13/1 Corinthians 10:22-24 )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62284267 said:
Personally, from what I remember seeing all over Christendom in the bookstores and other places, a lot of people flipped out over the Da Vinci code way more than most other subjects. TBN seems to vary alot in seasons.

most of the books you find in those bookstores, are written by those Televangelists on TBN, at least from what I have seen.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
most of the books you find in those bookstores, are written by those Televangelists on TBN, at least from what I have seen.
Whenever I've gone, it seems to be people mainly in all parts of CHristian Television - from GOD TV to Daystar, the Word Network, and TBN. Someone who's more so Reformed like a John Piper seems to have many works at the stores - in addition to other media personalities like R.C Sproul, John McCarther, or a Joshua McDowel and Rick Warren and many others.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gurney's just going on record as saying he's never read one Harry Potter book nor seen one HP movie. Totally uninterested, 100%....
A lot of folks fall into that camp of not being engaged with it due to having no interest. Saw some parts of the movie once when it was on the T.V - and part of me was wondering why was there so much praise for the film. Even outside of having issues with it, it just didn't seem really breath-taking or stunning.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62290151 said:
Whenever I've gone, it seems to be people mainly in all parts of CHristian Television - from GOD TV to Daystar, the Word Network, and TBN. Someone who's more so Reformed like a John Piper seems to have many works at the stores - in addition to other media personalities like R.C Sproul, John McCarther, or a Joshua McDowel and Rick Warren and many others.

oh yeah, I am not denying that those other fellas are in there, but this is long past the Da Vinci Code craze. John Hagee, that nerdy guy with the nasal voice, Jerry Falwell, the TFP folks from the RC side of things, etc all railed against that book, wrote their tracts and booklets, and I think drove more people to read that crappy novel, then if they just left it alone. my Godfather remembers the same thing happened when that movie The Last Temptation of Christ came out. he said that as a film it was okay, but since so many openly were dead against it, people became very intrigued.

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

You know, honestly, I think I'd almost rather read twilight than the da Vinci code. That book was just criminally badly written. I wanted to vomit the whole time from Brown's sheer ineptitude and how desperately I wanted to punch Robert Langdon in the face.

Seriously, I was hoping that through some weirdness, the story would end with Silas gunning Langdon and his cardboard cutout love interest with no character down.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
oh yeah, I am not denying that those other fellas are in there, but this is long past the Da Vinci Code craze. John Hagee, that nerdy guy with the nasal voice, Jerry Falwell, the TFP folks from the RC side of things, etc all railed against that book, wrote their tracts and booklets, and I think drove more people to read that crappy novel, then if they just left it alone. my Godfather remembers the same thing happened when that movie The Last Temptation of Christ came out. he said that as a film it was okay, but since so many openly were dead against it, people became very intrigued.
Got ya...

Giving too much attention to something - even if you feel it is a negative which needs to be addressed - may actually be a means of ensuring that others will investigate it. Knowing where the line is can be a big deal since it has often been the case that there's a struggle of knowing how to address something rather than ignore - and yet how to not give so much coverage on it that you no longer see people listen. There were times I saw the T.V and only heard on how the Da Vinci Code was corrupting the identity of Christ - and to be truthful, part of me was thinking it really wasn't even something the Church should've been worried on fully (as I didn't think the concept of Christ being married was devestating to the work of the Lord). But because of the fact that the world was so focused on showing that Christ wasn't God and had some secret relationship, it seemed that believers naturally felt that they had to equally respond.

Your grandfather had a lot of wisdom in noting what he did with the Last Temptation of CHrist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You know, honestly, I think I'd almost rather read twilight than the da Vinci code. That book was just criminally badly written. I wanted to vomit the whole time from Brown's sheer ineptitude and how desperately I wanted to punch Robert Langdon in the face.

Seriously, I was hoping that through some weirdness, the story would end with Silas gunning Langdon and his cardboard cutout love interest with no character down.
There are so many young girls on my side of the street who are literally in love with the Twilight series - and I still wonder what in the world is attractive on it. Many have said that the series was good because the man the main character is in love with is a vampire who has chosen to practice restraint by not drinking her blood or sleeping with her immediately - and it seems restraint is a big deal in the times we live in. My response is the concept is still jacked up - as the man is a Vampire....and in real life, if trying to have a long-term romance wiith a guy who drank blood/couldn't die:), you'd not see that relationship last long. A lot of women seem to have an obsession with Dark Romance and some of it seems just like Buffy the Vampire Slayer saga with her own relationship with a Vampire named Angel.

That said, Brown was truly an embodiment of inepitude. And how he managed to become so popular is a trip. Still mad at the fact that Tom Hanks (who's Orthodox) chose to play the character in the film - as the film was just as bad as the book and Hanks hair style was horrible. I was like "Dude, for real?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62293044 said:
Got ya...

Giving too much attention to something - even if you feel it is a negative which needs to be addressed - may actually be a means of ensuring that others will investigate it. Knowing where the line is can be a big deal since it has often been the case that there's a struggle of knowing how to address something rather than ignore - and yet how to not give so much coverage on it that you no longer see people listen. There were times I saw the T.V and only heard on how the Da Vinci Code was corrupting the identity of Christ - and to be truthful, part of me was thinking it really wasn't even something the Church should've been worried on fully (as I didn't think the concept of Christ being married was devestating to the work of the Lord). But because of the fact that the world was so focused on showing that Christ wasn't God and had some secret relationship, it seemed that believers naturally felt that they had to equally respond.

Your grandfather had a lot of wisdom in noting what he did with the Last Temptation of CHrist.

the problem is, in my opinion, that folks talk of this as if stuff that denies Christ's divinity is new. it ain't.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the problem is, in my opinion, that folks talk of this as if stuff that denies Christ's divinity is new. it ain't.
It's more so the package that things come in - and thus, because people aren't trained to recognize how to deal with things, it's always a shocker when more of the same comes up and people think "This is the first time this has occurred!!!"....but aint nothing new like Solomon said in Ecclessiastes 1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62297896 said:
It's more so the package that things come in - and thus, because people aren't trained to recognize how to deal with things, it's always a shocker when more of the same comes up and people think "This is the first time this has occurred!!!"....but aint nothing new like Solomon said in Ecclessiastes 1.

yeah, well we live in a country where folks forget history. they forget things like Arianism, gnosticism, etc have been around for a long time, and the Church has always been fighting against some heresy in some form ever since Pentecost. so since most, and I was guilty of this as well, have no clue what Christians endured for the first centuries or who they endured things from.

I hears ya man

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dunno, when I would glance by TBN, it would be every televangelist and their mother talking about some reason why not to read the Harry Potter series, much like when the Da Vinci Code came out.

I wonder how they feel about Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I enjoy the books, and I think the themes in them are quite compatible with Christianity. Kindness and goodness and above all, love, are the main themes that are evident thrughout the narrative of the long series. I don't find them any more occultish or unChristian than, say, The Cronicles of Narnia or The Lord of The Rings.
I remember there was a big outcry over the children's movie The Golden Compass. I never saw it, but it seemed that there were issues with this one as well, but don't remember what they were, TBH.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62293082 said:
There are so many young girls on my side of the street who are literally in love with the Twilight series - and I still wonder what in the world is attractive on it. Many have said that the series was good because the man the main character is in love with is a vampire who has chosen to practice restraint by not drinking her blood or sleeping with her immediately - and it seems restraint is a big deal in the times we live in. My response is the concept is still jacked up - as the man is a Vampire....and in real life, if trying to have a long-term romance wiith a guy who drank blood/couldn't die:), you'd not see that relationship last long. A lot of women seem to have an obsession with Dark Romance and some of it seems just like Buffy the Vampire Slayer saga with her own relationship with a Vampire named Angel.

That said, Brown was truly an embodiment of inepitude. And how he managed to become so popular is a trip. Still mad at the fact that Tom Hanks (who's Orthodox) chose to play the character in the film - as the film was just as bad as the book and Hanks hair style was horrible. I was like "Dude, for real?"
I don't get the interest in vampires, either. I've never had an interest, not even as a teen or child. Never cared for the tv "monsters," and all that stuff.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how they feel about Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
Angela Lansberry in one of the best films ever - as it was a wonderful musical and a classic. Mary Poppins would be another to add to that:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't get the interest in vampires, either. I've never had an interest, not even as a teen or child. Never cared for the tv "monsters," and all that stuff.
I used to be more into it when I was younger, but grew out of it. It actually trips me out looking back at how it's the case that vampires and other creatures are now people others look to as heros/role-models even though they were considered demonic in previous times. The "tv monsters" of today are not really healthy. In one conversation I had with friends, the issue that came up was why many seem in love with a show called "The Walking Dead" about zombies and why it seems so many believers keep saying "The show is wonderful" when there are a bunch of dead/decaying people running around.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
yeah, well we live in a country where folks forget history. they forget things like Arianism, gnosticism, etc have been around for a long time, and the Church has always been fighting against some heresy in some form ever since Pentecost. so since most, and I was guilty of this as well, have no clue what Christians endured for the first centuries or who they endured things from.

I hears ya man
Real talk, Bruh. History does help to address things...

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I remember there was a big outcry over the children's movie The Golden Compass. I never saw it, but it seemed that there were issues with this one as well, but don't remember what they were, TBH.

I think the problem with that is it was written by an atheist as a direct "answer" to the Narnia books.

I won't be reading those books or watching those films. :)

Mary

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the problem with that is it was written by an atheist as a direct "answer" to the Narnia books.

I won't be reading those books or watching those films. :)

Mary
The film did rather poorely, to my knowledge - although it was interesting to see an atheist attempt at addressing Narnia and trying to get kids to enjoy it:)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yeah, it was because, as stated earlier, that it was an atheist repsonse to Narnia. the problem is that the book actually has God in it. He is weak and inept in the books, but He is there. kinda a weak way at defending atheism.

and the movie was just awful. I saw it for free and I wish I could get those two years of my life back.

Upvote 0