Discussion Martial arts has no place in a holy Spirit filled life..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Rome was to be turned upside down by evangelism and it would have been a show piece of capturing a culture for the Gospel and Moses' law. That instead of Israel only locked off separate from the world. It was partly a military culture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I do know that maturity in God is not bound by time noe years as a believer but by surrender and obedience. This is why timothy was a leader amoung peers far older then he. A one year old convert canbe far more mature in christ then a 30 year pew warmer.simply by thier level of surrender to God an obedience .something we absolutley can control .
Many newcomers to Jesus, born again in Him, recognize the hypocrisy of many other old ministries and old teachers before the older pew warmers do.
This has been expected and recognized for many years.
Test everything by God's Word though, always - not every newcomer is right , nor all the time. Nor is every old timer necessarily (???????) just because they look like a pew warmer for decades ..... the widow who put in her life savings and Jesus pointed her out comes to mind.
Always depends on God's Word, what HE says, and what is in line with His Word and in total harmony with all of His Word with the experiential knowledge, wisdom and witness of God's Spirit also.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many newcomers to Jesus, born again in Him, recognize the hypocrisy of many other old ministries and old teachers before the older pew warmers do.
This has been expected and recognized for many years.
Test everything by God's Word though, always - not every newcomer is right , nor all the time. Nor is every old timer necessarily (???????) just because they look like a pew warmer for decades ..... the widow who put in her life savings and Jesus pointed her out comes to mind.
Always depends on God's Word, what HE says, and what is in line with His Word and in total harmony with all of His Word with the experiential knowledge, wisdom and witness of God's Spirit also.
And so... Martial arts has no place in a holy spirit filled life .
The persuit of it is to be unequally yoked.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rome was to be turned upside down by evangelism and it would have been a show piece of capturing a culture for the Gospel and Moses' law. That instead of Israel only locked off separate from the world. It was partly a military culture.
I assure you ..the furtherence of the gospel has no carnal military operation.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MArtial arts has no place in a holy Spirit filled life...
in the past it was discussed and few agreed .
but those that disagreed also displayed a disbelief in the ability of god to look after them .

i sometimes wonder if the reverse would be tolerated so easily .. if the world would allow the teachings of the holy Spirit filled life into the dojo . the two messages of the dojo and of the gospel are opposed . martial arts would teach that there is yin and yang equal opposites for everything .
the bible in NO way teaches any such thing . ie- satan is not gods equal opposite . not even remotely. so we see right away the the two philosophies are immediately opposed .
No5 that all martial arts have an Eastern mysticism component. My own discipline is quite thoroughly Christian

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Really?
Suffice to say youd best repent of "your"dicipline... Turn to God and follow the lord Jesus. Stop being conformed to 'this world" and be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
-------------------
These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
Their worship is a farce,
for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’”
Nah.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that about sums you up i guess.
As it is a direct instruction in scripture to not be conformed to this world... That your saying "nah" to... You should rethink that.
After all.. The word repent means ... Change your mind towards God,rethink...

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And that about sums you up i guess.
As it is a direct instruction in scripture to not be conformed to this world... That your saying "nah" to... You should rethink that.
After all.. The word repent means ... Change your mind towards God,rethink...
So, what do you think is wrong with my discipline?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Still all very vague as to what you mean .
I do know that maturity in God is not bound by time noe years as a believer but by surrender and obedience. This is why timothy was a leader amoung peers far older then he. A one year old convert canbe far more mature in christ then a 30 year pew warmer.simply by thier level of surrender to God an obedience .something we absolutley can control .

It seems you are not able to understand. That's fine.
In the past there have been occupations stigmatized by christian churches and those occupations became more evil as a result. The church of Jesus is supposed to be an embassy of heaven, so to say christians shouldn't do X, it means that we are defining (and subtracting from) the work given to us which is really God's job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No5 that all martial arts have an Eastern mysticism component. My own discipline is quite thoroughly Christian

As is mine.

It is a powerful tool for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems you are not able to understand. That's fine.
In the past there have been occupations stigmatized by christian churches and those occupations became more evil as a result. The church of Jesus is supposed to be an embassy of heaven, so to say Christians shouldn't do X, it means that we are defining (and subtracting from) the work given to us which is really God's job.
i understand that you have presented some non scripture based paragraphs that make little sense .
but i haven't said Christians should not do X .. but i can say that .. ie Christians should not continue in sinful activity they know to e sinful . like lie steal cheat and sleep with people not their spouse .
is that subtracting from gods work.. ? nope .
and his work in us is built in us via our obedience to him .not via our rebellion .(refusal to obey )
what place has martial arts in holy Spirit filled life where we are to walk in obedience to the holy Spirit ?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what do you think is wrong with my discipline?
what / apart from the confession that it is YOURS .. a opposed to Gods ?
apart fro the fact you have come to defend it .. rather then defending the word of god .. ?
do tell, based on direct unambiguous scripture - what is right with it in context of waling n obedience to the holy Spirit ?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rome could have turned from a carnal to a spiritual city army and all.
your speaking waffleeese . you may find that a harsh response but its the nicest descriptive term for it i can find .
as cannot find ANY scripture to base it on..

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As is mine.

It is a powerful tool for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
how many have you led to the lord via martial arts ?..have you made them disciples of the lord Jesus or disciples of more martial arts ?
interesting questions .
but im aware of your love for it and your unwillingness to change your mind about it . (if i recall correctly )

isn't it interesting that repent - means to change ones mind towards God .turn to him and obey him .drop the idolatry . hmm yup if its not an idol it would hold zero value to you- things to think about yup yup .
i cant find that other verse either . the one that says "go and learn martial arts ,submit oneself to worldliness ,conform to the spirit of the world and then preach the gospel .. .. didn't look to hard though , perhaps you can point it out to us ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I see no reason why one can not learn the art of self defense. I know several people who did it. My brother had a black belt in Kenpo. It is self defense--not how to kill for pleasure! It is of itself, not sinful. After all, God had the Jews use their military weapon's and knowledge to win battles. It's not like learning, as in the case of Jael, how to drive a nail through the temple of your enemies heads!----A friend decided to take Judo, for 3 years---did very well, became very good at it--sure enough came the day when she was mugged---what did she do---prayed for God to give her strength, took her umbrella and beat the guy until he ran screaming for help!!!! She did not use one single move she'd learned!! However--She did lose 35 lbs and was very strong.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
your speaking waffleeese . you may find that a harsh response but its the nicest descriptive term for it i can find .
as cannot find ANY scripture to base it on..
In the book of Acts, Peter and Paul preach to gentiles and Paul aims for governors in Rome. Peter and Paul died in Rome, he wanted to preach to governors and surely the garrisons as well. John the Baptist spoke to soldiers on fairness. Jesus offered forgiveness to the soldiers who were cruelly executing Him.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see no reason why one can not learn the art of self defense. I know several people who did it. My brother had a black belt in Kenpo. It is self defense--not how to kill for pleasure! It is of itself, not sinful. After all, God had the Jews use their military weapon's and knowledge to win battles. It's not like learning, as in the case of Jael, how to drive a nail through the temple of your enemies heads!----A friend decided to take Judo, for 3 years---did very well, became very good at it--sure enough came the day when she was mugged---what did she do---prayed for God to give her strength, took her umbrella and beat the guy until he ran screaming for help!!!! She did not use one single move she'd learned!! However--She did lose 35 lbs and was very strong.
And ... We are not under the ot covanant. And the weapons of our warfare are not carnal and we are not to conform to this world. Please offer scripture. Our opinions do not anull the word of God. Infact we are warned not to teach traditions as if they are the commands of God.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the book of Acts, Peter and Paul preach to gentiles and Paul aims for governors in Rome. Peter and Paul died in Rome, he wanted to preach to governors and surely the garrisons as well. John the Baptist spoke to soldiers on fairness. Jesus offered forgiveness to the soldiers who were cruelly executing Him.
And that has almost nothing to do with the present topic. We are not speaking about judging the world. We cannot.
We are speaking of what place martial arts has in a holy Spirit filled life.
Which is .. No place.
People that think there is some neutral ground where you can mingle worldliness and godliness are already decieved . as shown by the fact they think thats ok .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.