Discussion Martial arts has no place in a holy Spirit filled life..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
When a login has posted more posts it is less likely to be a sock account and there is more accountability with the things actually said. Since you have a very small amount of posts there are a number of possibilities, though since the person who was originally addressing me has gone silent and you are all of a sudden defending him ... it is indeed very curious.
When you have more accountability behind your name, then your words will mean more. That's all.

Then Armoured is more "accountable" than you are???

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟15,948.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When a login has posted more posts it is less likely to be a sock account and there is more accountability with the things actually said. Since you have a very small amount of posts there are a number of possibilities, though since the person who was originally addressing me has gone silent and you are all of a sudden defending him ... it is indeed very curious.
When you have more accountability behind your name, then your words will mean more. That's all.

Thank you for the clarification.

I was not defending the other poster, I merely responded to whether we are allowed to judge
fellow believer or not.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Then Armoured is more "accountable" than you are???

I dunno, you can go through people's posting history right? that makes them more accountable the more they post. That makes sense right?

Thank you for the clarification.

I was not defending the other poster, I merely responded to whether we are allowed to judge
fellow believer or not.

Fair enough, I was illustrating that it was not an appropriate reference for this example.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If a good martial artist converts and no longer has to fear death, but then does come under attack and his family is threatened with slavery, and he can't fight but only pray, isn't that foolish?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, how is the gospel of "no martial arts" a gospel preached to the poor?
If a person comes against you with lethal force, remember that turning the other cheek is the most lethal weapon God has given us. Use their momentum against them, if they live, we can assume God wanted them to.
Since it said that the one who destroys the temple of the Holy Spirit (that being our bodies) will also be destroyed, taking a beating and refraining from praying for them is to be considered a method of last resort.
Since christians in politics tend to not turn the other cheek when being insulted socially however, (the proper application) this concept may be foreign to them.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
The tone of this thread sounds very familiar.

The Pharisee and Tax Collector
Luke 18
9To some who trusted in their own righteousness and viewed others with contempt, He also told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I receive.’

13But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’ 14I tell you, this man, rather than the Pharisee, went home justified. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In my experience, when I see an absolute statement (like this one), I reflexively react to the contrary. Rarely are absolutes absolute. And this happens to be the case for martial arts. I took tae kwon do when I was younger, and it was wonderful. I got in shape, I learned some defensive protective moves, and I gained a great deal of self-confidence. Not once was philosophy discussed. As far as I was concerned it was a gym class, and I would recommend people who get bullied and/or women to get some self-defense training so long as it isn't mixed in with oriental philosophy.

Sometimes absolutes are appropriate, for example: in 1 Cor 5:6b,7a we read (KJV) "Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened." (For full context see 1 cor 5:5-7.)
Without absolutes, we get into permissiveness, which waters down doctrine.
As to self defense, the power of the name of Jesus, and angels are meant to be the believer's protection. This takes faith so plant now, that the harvest may arrive ahead of the need. Anyone who cannot imagine this can see it portrayed in the movie, War Room.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
i don't show respect to demons .. we cast them out .
we don't need any part of martial arts in any form ,nor does the lord ever tell us in ANY manner to conform to the world in any way

So you don't shake people's hands? Or is that socially acceptable but to you bowing isn't? As for conforming to the world, does that also mean you don't use forks and knives?

Preach the word, live your convictions.

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been here, and still saying the same things.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.- the word.preached.
The reason your saying the same thing is your still unrepentant.
Repent means to change your thinking .
Your thinking with carnal reason in the flesh. We are to walk in the spirit. The holy spirit wont ever tell a persom to bow to the demonic influence behind martial arts.

Pays to repent because you cant serve two masters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.- the word.preached.
The reason your saying the same thing is your still unrepentant.
Repent means to change your thinking .
Your thinking with carnal reason in the flesh. We are to walk in the spirit. The holy spirit wont ever tell a persom to bow to the demonic influence behind martial arts.

Pays to repent because you cant serve two masters.
Do you work at a job?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you work at a job?
lol -this ones been hashed out often .
always the diversionary question .

listen , if you know in your heart that you have inquired of the lord and , as one baptized in the holy Spirit and walking IN the Spirit of god and thus not fulfilling the evil desires of the flesh , that God has told you to go and do martial arts and salute ,bow down , submit ,and be conformed to the spirit of this world in full contradiction of his clear unambiguous Word .. then testify that it is so.

if not then do not attempt to say those people over there are doing such and such so it justifies me .. it never works that way . we are to walk in obedience to the holy Spirit , that is called loving him . Jesus said those who love him obey him .

its all quite simple .
the thread ,you will note, is not whether martial arts is right or wrong .. but that -"it has no place in holy Spirit filled life " because we submit , pay homage to , salute ,bow .. to none other .
Jesus said - you cant serve two masters .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
because we submit , pay homage to , salute ,bow .. to none other .
So when a soldier salutes to his superior officer he is serving to masters?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So when a soldier salutes to his superior officer he is serving to masters?
miss the point much .. ?

if he was a soldier, when he came to the lord ,he should seek to be free but in the mean time he is a soldier .
was he , a soldier before he came to know Christ ? why did he become one -did god tell him ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟15,948.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
its all quite simple .
the thread ,you will note, is not whether martial arts is right or wrong .. but that -"it has no place in holy Spirit filled life " because we submit , pay homage to , salute ,bow .. to none other .

As it is quite simple.....

Would it be fair to say that anyone who practices martial arts,

does not live in a Holy Spirit filled life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
miss the point much .. ?

if he was a sildier when he came to the lord he should seek to be free but in the mean time he is a soldier .
was he not a soldier before he came to know chrsit ? why di he become one did god tel him ?
Ok, so if the Holy Spirit leads one to learn martial arts then it is right to do that, the Lord must have a reason, the same with the soldier, the musician, the preacher, etc.
So if we have a desire to do something we should pray and ask for the Lord's guidance and approval.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so if the Holy Spirit leads one to learn martial arts then it is right to do that, the Lord must have a reason, the same with the soldier, the musician, the preacher, etc.
So if we have a desire to do something we should pray and ask for the Lord's guidance and approval.
we must obey the holy Spirit - have you met such a person who can testify, with god as witness ,that the holy Spirit told the to go learn martial arts ?

just being honest here -i have met a few that the lord has told to cease and come out of it .i have rad the scriptures which sate that we should observe and live as godly men do .. i haven't met a Peron who was told by god to do it i haven't read of any of the apostles doing it .
i Have read of Not being conformed to this world .

so what part would martial arts play in a holy Spirit filled life ?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
we must obey the holy Spirit - have you met such a person who can testify, with god as witness ,that the holy Spirit told the to go learn martial arts ?

just being honest here -i have met a few that the lord has told to cease and come out of it .i have rad the scriptures which sate that we should observe and live as godly men do .. i haven't met a Peron who was told by god to do it i haven't read of any of the apostles doing it .
i Have read of Not being conformed to this world .

so what part would martial arts play in a holy Spirit filled life ?
My nephew-in-law is a kick boxer and I think that if the Lord told him to stop, he would.
But I was thinking of Chuck Norris, who is a Christian. I certainly haven't heard anything about him that would make me believe that he isn't.

Many people use marital arts that don't equate it to any religion or particular philosophy. To many it is a sport and good exercise. To me it would be superstition to think that by using marital arts one is in collaboration with satan. It's not like using meditation with yoga, which I do believe could be dangerous.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your causal assumptions do not follow. In any case, only God can really know the answer to your questions, let him be the judge .. it's his job anyway.

Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son (John 5:22)

Are you now saying that God has entrusted you to judge others? prove it.
lol .. no , it appears your saying it .i didn't even bring it up .you judge yourself it appears , by defending something we are never instructed in scripture to do as a new creation walking in the holy Spirit .

it quite misleading to ask "are you saying" .wen the person didn't say it .. and then ask them to prove what it was they didn't say .. you said it lol "they " ,did not .

also you said my casual assumption ?? i didn't make any assumptions. i asked you a couple of straight forward Questions .

lets recap -
When I'm reading the above paragraph when I see obey and refusal to obey it seems to mean you want people to obey you. People can follow the holy spirit's leading and it doesn't have to make sense to you.

reply : again- sounds very pious on the surface of it .
but are you following the leading of the holy spirit who leads into all truth and glorifies the LORD JESUS (not worldly arts )? in the name of Jesus ,did God tell you specifically to practice a worldly spirits art ? did he tell you to walk in the way of Cain?

and you replied with our=: causal assumptions do not follow. In any case, only God can really know the answer to your questions, let him be the judge .. it's his job anyway....."-end quote .

i didn't ask to judge and i didn't ask another .. i asked "YOU ", so why would god be the only one to answer the question of ..are you following the leading of the holy spirit ?
And did God tell you specifically to practice a worldly spirits art ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.