Discussion Martial arts has no place in a holy Spirit filled life..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
i understand that you have presented some non scripture based paragraphs that make little sense .
but i haven't said Christians should not do X .. but i can say that .. ie Christians should not continue in sinful activity they know to e sinful . like lie steal cheat and sleep with people not their spouse .
is that subtracting from gods work.. ? nope .
and his work in us is built in us via our obedience to him .not via our rebellion .(refusal to obey )
what place has martial arts in holy Spirit filled life where we are to walk in obedience to the holy Spirit ?

When I'm reading the above paragraph when I see obey and refusal to obey it seems to mean you want people to obey you. People can follow the holy spirit's leadings and it doesn't have to make sense to you.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
how many have you led to the lord via martial arts ?..have you made them disciples of the lord Jesus or disciples of more martial arts ?
interesting questions .

Several hundred that I am aware of have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. One is the senior pastor of a growing church, one is with Hillsong, quite a few are on outreach teams that minister in a variety of places.

but im aware of your love for it and your unwillingness to change your mind about it . (if i recall correctly )

isn't it interesting that repent - means to change ones mind towards God .turn to him and obey him .drop the idolatry . hmm yup if its not an idol it would hold zero value to you- things to think about yup yup .
i cant find that other verse either . the one that says "go and learn martial arts ,submit oneself to worldliness ,conform to the spirit of the world and then preach the gospel .. .. didn't look to hard though , perhaps you can point it out to us ?

It is right next to the verses that talk about bowling, golf, NASCAR.

As explained before, and for the benefit of the ones who have not read your last four threads on this.

Is Eastern religion in martial arts. Yes

Is Easter religion in ALL martial arts - decidedly no some have taken what was meant for evil and transformed it into something that is good for body and spirit. The emphasis on making deciles of Jesus Christ through physical discipline and meditation on scriptures.

I have no need or want to repent from preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and promoting Bible knowledge and study.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
And that has almost nothing to do with the present topic. We are not speaking about judging the world. We cannot.
We are speaking of what place martial arts has in a holy Spirit filled life.
Which is .. No place.
People that think there is some neutral ground where you can mingle worldliness and godliness are already decieved . as shown by the fact they think thats ok .
The relevance is the Christian taking something carnal and bringing into the Christian way.
Aikido is a martial art that does not injure the opponent. Also the Chinese Buddhist nuns invented their art to stop thieves. Ninjutsu is the assasination art, but it could be used to defend Christian women in India from rape. Cooking food is carnal, it is not essentially evil.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Several hundred that I am aware of have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. One is the senior pastor of a growing church, one is with Hillsong, quite a few are on outreach teams that minister in a variety of places.

It is right next to the verses that talk about bowling, golf, NASCAR.

As explained before, and for the benefit of the ones who have not read your last four threads on this.

Is Eastern religion in martial arts. Yes

Is Easter religion in ALL martial arts - decidedly no some have taken what was meant for evil and transformed it into something that is good for body and spirit. The emphasis on making deciles of Jesus Christ through physical discipline and meditation on scriptures.

I have no need or want to repent from preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and promoting Bible knowledge and study.
Sounds very pious .except its not gospel.
And your refusal to repent of it merely displays the elevated position you give it.
Making it a form of idolatry.
You do what is right in your own eyes. But follow Jesus... When did he ever do martial arts? Never.

Being a pastor is not proof of faith
And hillsong is becoming more distant from the truth by the week.
Like i said.. Deciples of what? You produce more of you.not more of christ.deciples of christ learn to be like him.deciples of man learn to be like man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The relevance is the Christian taking something carnal and bringing into the Christian way.
Aikido is a martial art that does not injure the opponent. Also the Chinese Buddhist nuns invented their art to stop thieves. Ninjutsu is the assasination art, but it could be used to defend Christian women in India from rape. Cooking food is carnal, it is not essentially evil.
This is a typical respons. .it is based on an absence of faith.
In the context of living in obedience to the holy spirit.it is not doing so .it is following another "way" ..not following Jesus.
He displayed to us a holy Spirit filled life.
And we are to be transformed and become like him.
Martial arts in any form does not ,will not and cannot preform that task.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alithis how about doing this. How about focusing on what YOU should be doing instead of what YOU feel others should not be doing?
The topic is notwhat any one should or should not be doing. But about what place martial arts has in a holy Spirit filled life.
Which is No Place.
It is of the spirit of this world.it is of the spirit of antichrist. There is no neutral ground where light mingles with darkness.

I hear some crazy arguments. But since we all are to repent .. Change our minds toward God..,and walk in obedience tohim being transformed by the renewing of our minds.. We need to change our minds in regard to anything that is not of him.
For to become likechrist does not and will never involve doing what the world does.

Did the lord jesus show us a holy spirit filled life? Yes he did.
Did his holyspirit filled life involve martial arts? No ,it did not. It is not of the holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It must be awful tiring for you.
Nope it is a delight.
Jesus said repentance for the forgiveness of sin is to be preached ... to walk in the spirit of life is to walk in love .. first to god .to not do so it to miss the mark ..sin.. we must repent of missing the mark. to do so we must change our thinking and agree with God not man .
did you really think its only about martial arts ? nope that is but a single focal point displaying how much we do not walk in him when we walk in the world .
some , whose heart has a love for such things get upset and rush to defend what they do . but that's just proof of its elevated stance in their life and that they need to turn from it and cast it down .
some think thee is no demonic in it .. as if there is some neutral ground where nither god nor the devil presides .
but it is not so. you simply cannot serve two masters ,Jesus said so . And some folks follow their pastor more then they follow Jesus ..it is equally wrong .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I'm reading the above paragraph when I see obey and refusal to obey it seems to mean you want people to obey you. People can follow the holy spirit's leadings and it doesn't have to make sense to you.
again- sounds very pious on the surface of it .
but are you folowing the leading of the holy spifrit who leads into al truth and glorifies the LORD JESUS (not worldly arts )? in the name of Jesus ,did God tell you specifically to practice a worldly spirits art ? did he tell you to walk in the way of cain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds very pious .except its not gospel.
And your refusal to repent of it merely displays the elevated position you give it.
Making it a form of idolatry.
You do what is right in your own eyes. But follow Jesus... When did he ever do martial arts? Never.

Being a pastor is not proof of faith
And hillsong is becoming more distant from the truth by the week.
Like i said.. Deciples of what? You produce more of you.not more of christ.deciples of christ learn to be like him.deciples of man learn to be like man.

How do you know this definitively, have you met any of us? Have you heard any of the hundreds of testimonies of faith? Have you been with us when these tender people committed their lives to Jesus Christ? Where are you when they were forgiven and set free?

Where you someplace close?

Tell me, can a bad tree produce good fruit? If not, then this is certainly not a bad tree.

If you think you are spiritual enough to judge people whom you have never met, spoke with that I just might not be the one needing repentance my brother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
And ... We are not under the ot covanant. And the weapons of our warfare are not carnal and we are not to conform to this world. Please offer scripture. Our opinions do not anull the word of God. Infact we are warned not to teach traditions as if they are the commands of God.

Well why don't you provide verses that say we are not to learn self defense???

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MArtial arts has no place in a holy Spirit filled life...
in the past it was discussed and few agreed .
but those that disagreed also displayed a disbelief in the ability of god to look after them .

i sometimes wonder if the reverse would be tolerated so easily .. if the world would allow the teachings of the holy Spirit filled life into the dojo . the two messages of the dojo and of the gospel are opposed . martial arts would teach that there is yin and yang equal opposites for everything .
the bible in NO way teaches any such thing . ie- satan is not gods equal opposite . not even remotely. so we see right away the the two philosophies are immediately opposed .
While it is true that not only the martial arts, but the entire world, is enmity with God - Christ overcame the world. All the world is captured territory...nothing is unlawful, to those who are in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
again- sounds very pious on the surface of it .
but are you folowing the leading of the holy spifrit who leads into al truth and glorifies the LORD JESUS (not worldly arts )? in the name of Jesus ,did God tell you specifically to practice a worldly spirits art ? did he tell you to walk in the way of cain?

Your causal assumptions do not follow. In any case, only God can really know the answer to your questions, let him be the judge .. it's his job anyway.

Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son (John 5:22)

Are you now saying that God has entrusted you to judge others? prove it.

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟8,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you now saying that God has entrusted you to judge others? prove it.

Letter to the Corinthians. ....

Paul speaking....
For what have I to do with judging outsiders?
Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
God judges those outside.
Drive out the wicked person from among you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Letter to the Corinthians. ....

Paul speaking....
For what have I to do with judging outsiders?
Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
God judges those outside.
Drive out the wicked person from among you.

It was more like this passage. The corinthians letters are in relation to sexual immorality, since we aren't talking about being prostitutes for christ or other related topics, Romans is more topical.

Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. (Romans 14:4)

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟8,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was more like this passage. The corinthians letters are in relation to sexual immorality, since we aren't talking about being prostitutes for christ or other related topics, Romans is more topical.

Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. (Romans 14:4)

Romans 14 does not contradict Corinthians, it says the same thing in different words.

Corinthians. ...
Judge other believer, since they are servants of the same master.
Don't judge unbelievers, as they are someone else's servant.

I see no conflict here,...I can judge you if you bear the name brother, unless you are an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14 does not contradict Corinthians, it says the same thing in different words.

Corinthians. ...
Judge other believer, since they are servants of the same master.
Don't judge unbelievers, as they are someone else's servant.

I see no conflict here,...I can judge you if you bear the name brother, unless you are an unbeliever.

At the same time Romans 14 means what it says, therefore the Corinthians passage was only referring to sexual immorality and perhaps through induction things that are a specific sin. It was not saying, cast the martial artist out from among you.

*Noticing that you do not even have 100 posts yet*

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟8,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*Noticing that you do not even have 100 posts yet*

Lol, does that bother you?

or

Do you think by having a greater amount of posts, makes one's words more important?

Just curious (it is that little child in me), always curious.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Lol, does that bother you?

or

Do you think by having a greater amount of posts, makes one's words more important?

Just curious (it is that little child in me), always curious.

When a login has posted more posts it is less likely to be a sock account and there is more accountability with the things actually said. Since you have a very small amount of posts there are a number of possibilities, though since the person who was originally addressing me has gone silent and you are all of a sudden defending him ... it is indeed very curious.
When you have more accountability behind your name, then your words will mean more. That's all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.