Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Except we have a section broken out specifically for political events. Most of the stuff there is "news" too. But it goes there because its politics

This item isnt politics-adjacent. Its dead center politics.
The event just happened, making it "news" and a "current" event--political or otherwise.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except we have a section broken out specifically for political events. Most of the stuff there is "news" too. But it goes there because its politics

This item isnt politics-adjacent. Its dead center politics.
you will most likely have to live with disappointment -

I have not broken any rules.

The event just happened, making it "news" and a "current" event--political or otherwise.

Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the very few quotes I take from Star Trek:

"Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose. That's life."
Star Trek is fictional. No one ever does everything right and good decisions always work out better than bad ones. Life is mostly what you make out of it. When one loses one ought to try something different next time.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,177.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....good decisions always work out better than bad ones...
Even with absolute optimal decision making we can still end up in an unhappy situation. Non-smart people think thats a cause to switch horses without carefully examining the alternative decision making rationale - just because theyre not happy.

Point is: think about it and compare the quality of decision making on offer. Because thats what youre voting on. People who think everything about the state of the world is the result of govt are silly.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My main recent example it Trump, who should not be judged poorly based on the economic and fiscal (debt) state of the country, the "results", toward the end of his term. Why? Because there was a global pandemic of course. Instead, he should be judged based on the quality of his decisions - and of course the other criteria I mentioned. Effort is extremely important. The work doenst just magically happen - and leadership takes work.. Someone has to do it, starting at the top.

Presidents have no control over pandemics. Trump should be judged on his competence in doing the job he was elected to do not on things he had no control over despite the fact he seemed a bit delusional about how many things he could control and about how competent he was in doing so. That, however, is hardly unique to him as almost all politicians seem either to labor under that delusion or pretend that they do in order to get elected. He has mixed results on the competency front. Some of his policies were effective in achieving his ends and delivering on the promises he made. His worst choices would be picking people to be in his administration that had contradictory views on foreign and domestic policy from his own. That is a measure of real incompetence in that area. A person that feels compelled to constantly fire people is probably not a good judge of competence in those he hires.

One's effort is not a measure of one's competence. Results are all that matter not how hard one works. Working hard incompetently still ends in poor results. One can try, with all the effort possible, to roll a boulder uphill but if one hasn't the physical capacity to move that rock it isn't ever going to get to the top of that hill. Instead, get oneself a piece of machinery that will do the job without expending one iota of one's own energy. I prefer competence to effort if I have to choose between the two. Leadership takes no effort at all in many cases. Just understanding where one wishes to go and being able to explain it in such as to get the group one is leading to join one.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even with absolute optimal decision making we can still end up in an unhappy situation. Non-smart people think thats a cause to switch horses without carefully examining the alternative decision making rationale - just because theyre not happy.

Point is: think about it and compare the quality of decision making on offer. Because thats what youre voting on. People who think everything about the state of the world is the result of govt are silly.
Almost as silly as expecting the government to have the capacity to improve one's individual circumstances. The best government can do is refrain from causing additional harm while treating each citizen as equally worthy by enforcing just laws consistently. That however is not why people go into government because it requires an attitude of humility and service whereas politicians are much more likely to be motivated by a thirst for power due to an inflated ego. What I am voting on unfortunately is which of the two candidates I am not particularly enthused about will be the most likely to do the least harm. If I had my choice, I would prefer to vote for someone that has previously displayed competence and humility simultaneously. I have never been given that choice.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....The best government can do is refrain from causing additional harm while treating each citizen as equally worthy by enforcing just laws consistently.....

I dont understand that at all. Govt is meant precisely to reduce harm. From disasters, from criminals, from oppressor nations, from the guy dumping his sewage in the river upstream of you. If not causing harm is the highest goal, govt may as well vanish. Things that dont exist dont cause harm.

Almost as silly as expecting the government to have the capacity to improve one's individual circumstances.
Govt is meant to improve collective circumstances. You know, "promote the general welfare". (Gosh where have I heard that?) Collective welfare is generally felt by individuals in their particular circumstances, tho I would not say govt should be picking individual favorites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Star Trek is fictional. No one ever does everything right and good decisions always work out better than bad ones. Life is mostly what you make out of it. When one loses one ought to try something different next time.
Even if the result seem bad to the lay observer, how does the lay observer know that correct decisions were made that resulted in a conclusion less bad than it could have been? Likely, only someone on the inside knows how bad it could have been or how accurate the data were while the decisions were being made.

There was a situation during the War of 1812 in which the USS Chesapeake was sent into combat against the British. Among its complement was a "third lieutenant," a teenager out of the new Naval Academy attached to the ship for training. He had no actual job at all, except that he was the very last link of the chain of command.

During a battle, the captain was wounded and the 3LT carried the captain below decks for treatment by the medic. While he was below decks, every other officer on the ship was wounded or killed. The ship was captured by the British and the surviving crew kept as prisoners of war for the duration. After the treaty was signed, they were repatriated. The Navy investigated, prosecuted, and convicted the 3LT for dereliction of duty: Being away from his post while in command of the vessel. It's a fact...Google "USS Cheasapeake." But could the 3LT have prevailed in the battle as the commanding officer? Probably not/

In WWII, there was a night battle in the Pacific in which a Japanese fleet and an American fleet were literally interspersed and firing at each other at point-blank range in the darkness. Again, there was a junior ensign who wound up the senior remaining officer on the fleet flagship in a desperate situation in which he was the only officer who had communications with the entire fleet. He realized he didn't have enough combat experience to win the fight...so he successfully commanded a disengagement and retreat (which isn't easy....a retreat is one of the most dangerous tactics to attempt). That ensign was decorated for knowing his limits and performing well within them, despite the fact it was a "loss" for the Navy.

Sometimes you can't win...sometimes the best you can do is lose less.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-​

So what another politician will take her place. Really do you think anyone any better will actually be voted in.

Chicago's problems go back at least 80 years. This is a case like that I've been talking about...the next mayor could do everything right, and the situation will still suck for reasons beyond the means of a mayor.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Presidents have no control over pandemics. Trump should be judged on his competence in doing the job he was elected to do not on things he had no control over despite the fact he seemed a bit delusional about how many things he could control and about how competent he was in doing so.
All President Trump needed to do is issue proclamations, executive orders and stay out of the way but he wanted to control the response and he was terrible at that job.
He was an “exciting” President to have lived under (once), his base is still dying off and the young are 2/3 Democrats or even more Left.

That, however, is hardly unique to him as almost all politicians seem either to labor under that delusion or pretend that they do in order to get elected. He has mixed results on the competency front. Some of his policies were effective in achieving his ends and delivering on the promises he made. His worst choices would be picking people to be in his administration that had contradictory views on foreign and domestic policy from his own. That is a measure of real incompetence in that area. A person that feels compelled to constantly fire people is probably not a good judge of competence in those he hires.
He unilaterally started a trade war.
“Biden’s inflation” are the ripples of that 2018 “decision”. (And COVID, natch.)

One's effort is not a measure of one's competence. Results are all that matter not how hard one works. Working hard incompetently still ends in poor results. One can try, with all the effort possible, to roll a boulder uphill but if one hasn't the physical capacity to move that rock it isn't ever going to get to the top of that hill. Instead, get oneself a piece of machinery that will do the job without expending one iota of one's own energy. I prefer competence to effort if I have to choose between the two. Leadership takes no effort at all in many cases. Just understanding where one wishes to go and being able to explain it in such as to get the group one is leading to join one.
This is where Reagan shined…(and got taken down a peg, later on), he delegated. He’d state his goals and expect that people who do the things that make his goal a reality to do them; but didn’t do a “deep dive” on how things got done, because he was confident in his people to not do “bad things”; this was a small error on his part. “Too trusting”.

Donald Trump didn’t trust anyone not in his family and not even a bunch of them!
He had to micromanage, “only I” can save America.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Chicago's problems go back at least 80 years. This is a case like that I've been talking about...the next mayor could do everything right, and the situation will still suck for reasons beyond the means of a mayor.

People now do have a lot of faith in Government. It is interesting how people rarely hold politicians accountable. Most are reelected again and again as the peoples situations never improve. Oh they are occasionally thrown a bone or two, but nothing everlasting, that will help the person to help themselves to better their lives.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The statement (actually a response to a question about whether she though she'd been treated unfairly) was made BEFORE the election. How can she blame her loss on something before she'd known she'd lost?
She saw what her own poll numbers were in advance, and no doubt was able to conclude that she didn't have a chance. As usual, she lashed out at the voters with claims of racism.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is where Reagan shined…(and got taken down a peg, later on), he delegated. He’d state his goals and expect that people who do the things that make his goal a reality to do them; but didn’t do a “deep dive” on how things got done, because he was confident in his people to not do “bad things”; this was a small error on his part. “Too trusting”.
I was there then, and that much is true.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I just pray balanced law & order & society safety re-emerges in Chicago.

There are actually cities with much worse murder rates than Chicago. Most of them are in red states. Chicago's murder rate is only twice the national average. Memphis, Tennessee is 4 times the national average.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
  • Friendly
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are actually cities with much worse murder rates than Chicago. Most of them are in red states. Chicago's murder rate is only twice the national average. Memphis, Tennessee is 4 times the national average.
They are probably blue cities within red states that will become blue states.

Upvote 0