Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

CHICAGO - With Mayor Lori Lightfoot not winning re-election, the first Chicago incumbent to lose a second term since 1983, many are wondering what exact day she will leave office.​
We now have that answer.​
Lightfoot was sworn-in on May 20, 2019. Her last day leading the city of Chicago will be on May 15, 2023. She will be replaced by either Paul Vallas or Brandon Johnson.​
Claims of racism in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Accountability and action would have gone a long way with b-juice Lightfoot ….she did neither.

Hard to beat Emanuel, but she was absolutely the worst Mayor Chi-town has ever had ….it almost appeared as if it was by design.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

CHICAGO - With Mayor Lori Lightfoot not winning re-election, the first Chicago incumbent to lose a second term since 1983, many are wondering what exact day she will leave office.​
Lightfoot was sworn-in on May 20, 2019. Her last day leading the city of Chicago will be on May 15, 2023. She will be replaced by either Paul Vallas or Brandon Johnson.​
That puts her in Trump lost reelection territory; except she conceded.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its gonna get difficult for politicians as people increasingly demand magicians or strong-men to fix everything like RIGHT NOW!
Expecting a politician to fix anything is unrealistic in the extreme but from what I can tell Chicago's current mayor was somewhat of a magician in that she was able to break an awful lot almost immediately. Obviously, those that voted for her overwhelmingly the first time came to the conclusion that someone else could do a better job. When something fails obviously, it is best to try something else rather than continuing to do the same thing and hoping for different results. Of course, one might somehow decide, as she seems to have done, that the same people that voted for her before have suddenly and inexplicitly become racist, sexist, homophobes since the last mayoral election and failed to notice the race of the person a lot of them voted for instead of her.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Expecting a politician to fix anything is unrealistic in the extreme but from what I can tell Chicago's current mayor was somewhat of a magician in that she was able to break an awful lot almost immediately. Obviously, those that voted for her overwhelmingly the first time came to the conclusion that someone else could do a better job. When something fails obviously, it is best to try something else rather than continuing to do the same thing and hoping for different results. Of course, one might somehow decide, as she seems to have done, that the same people that voted for her before have suddenly and inexplicitly become racist, sexist, homophobes since the last mayoral election and failed to notice the race of the person a lot of them voted for instead of her.
It could well be that she deserves to go. I'm not connected enough to Chi to know the specifics.

But generally, voters will make the error of choosing based on results, when they should be choosing based on decisions and effort.

Politicians dont controls outcomes. They have a certain latitude to affect things. But results can be blown out by forces no one can control. Politicians control the decisions they make and how hard they work, and thats how they should be judged. The demand for a wizard/god is infantile.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It could well be that she deserves to go. I'm not connected enough to Chi to know the specifics.

But generally, voters will make the error of choosing based on results, when they should be choosing based on decisions and effort.

Politicians dont controls outcomes. They have a certain latitude to affect things. But results can be blown out by forces no one can control. Politicians control the decisions they make and how hard they work, and thats how they should be judged. The demand for a wizard/god is infantile.
Voters should always choose based on results. If the decisions are good, the results will also be good. Effort is irrelevant in determining competence. I would rather see someone do their job competently with little effort than someone do no better with herculean effort. I know the former is capable of much more while the latter is well over his head and will soon wear out or make a very costly error due to fatigue.

Government officials control what they control. If they do not achieve good results in those areas then they should be removed from office by the voters, in the case of elected officials or by their superiors, in the case of all other government positions. The outcome of things they have no control over ought not to a be factor in why one votes for a politician. Unfortunately, you do have a point in that many voters vote for politicians based upon the politician's promises to fix things they have no control over or to preference their group over other groups in matters they also have no control over. Politicians rarely, if ever, just promise to do a competent job carrying out the duties of the position that they are seeking is tasked to carry out. Nor do voters often prioritize valuing evidence of a politician's competence in previous positions but instead prioritize party affiliation or political philosophy with no regard to actual results in matters over which the candidate has had control in the past.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why? Brandon Johnson is black.

Maybe you should expect claims of homophobia.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Voters should always choose based on results. If the decisions are good, the results will also be good.
One of the very few quotes I take from Star Trek:

"Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose. That's life."

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...Politicians control the decisions they make and how hard they work, and thats how they should be judged. The demand for a wizard/god is infantile....
I'm going to amend that slightly to add in moral example and charisma as reasonable criteria for choosing leaders as well.

Moral example is obvious, I think..... I hope - tho I do think voters will throw it under the campaign bus if their guy pushes the right emotional buttons.

Charisma is a leaders ability to get others to work together on problems - which is pretty important in our cooperative system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Voters should always choose based on results. If the decisions are good, the results will also be good. Effort is irrelevant in determining competence. I would rather see someone do their job competently with little effort than someone do no better with herculean effort. I know the former is capable of much more while the latter is well over his head and will soon wear out or make a very costly error due to fatigue.

Government officials control what they control. If they do not achieve good results in those areas then they should be removed from office by the voters, in the case of elected officials or by their superiors, in the case of all other government positions. The outcome of things they have no control over ought not to a be factor in why one votes for a politician. Unfortunately, you do have a point in that many voters vote for politicians based upon the politician's promises to fix things they have no control over or to preference their group over other groups in matters they also have no control over. Politicians rarely, if ever, just promise to do a competent job carrying out the duties of the position that they are seeking is tasked to carry out. Nor do voters often prioritize valuing evidence of a politician's competence in previous positions but instead prioritize party affiliation or political philosophy with no regard to actual results in matters over which the candidate has had control in the past.
My main recent example it Trump, who should not be judged poorly based on the economic and fiscal (debt) state of the country, the "results", toward the end of his term. Why? Because there was a global pandemic of course. Instead, he should be judged based on the quality of his decisions - and of course the other criteria I mentioned. Effort is extremely important. The work doenst just magically happen - and leadership takes work.. Someone has to do it, starting at the top.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That puts her in Trump lost reelection territory; except she conceded.
But Trump hasn't worked in a long, long time - still doesn't.
Where are the claims of racism of which you speak?

‘I’m a Black Woman in America’: Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot Blames Election Loss on Racism, Sexism

There's more!
Looking at that headline, I ask why isnt this in the politics section?
Because it is CURRENT NEWS along with a required article. That is why.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Because it is CURRENT NEWS along with a required article. That is why.
Except we have a section broken out specifically for political events. Most of the stuff there is "news" too. But it goes there because its politics

This item isnt politics-adjacent. Its dead center politics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0