atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
If you want to play the "scientists gives us..." trumpcard, start with this list.

Creationists have given us:

1. Antiseptic Surgery
2. Bacteriology
3. Calculus
4. Celestial Mechanics
5. Chemistry

Is it noteworthy that the first chemists weren't Christian creationists?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aristotle and Plato, with input from a modest list of pre-Socratics.

Aristotle stunted the growth of science for 2000 years when they accepted one of his theories.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Aristotle stunted the growth of science for 2000 years when they accepted one of his theories.
Assuming what you say is true, wouldn't the blame fall to those who "accepted" his theory without question for 2000 years? You can't blame Aristotle for the complacency of others.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assuming what you say is true, wouldn't the blame fall to those who "accepted" his theory without question for 2000 years? You can't blame Aristotle for the complacency of others.

I must agree, but a proper interpretation of the Scriptures would have prevented it; and I can't help but to think that the Christians weren't fooled.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I must agree, but a proper interpretation of the Scriptures would have prevented it; and I can't help but to think that the Christians weren't fooled.
Perhaps in that specific instance, but a more reliable and useful approach is to use the scientific method, rather than scripture.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps in that specific instance, but a more reliable and useful approach is to use the scientific method, rather than scripture.

I couldn't agree more; since the Scriptures are not meant to be used for science. In fact, some say that the Tower of Babel incident took place because science was progressing ahead of its time, and God stunted the growth of science for the sake of the future world in general, and the Israelites specifically.

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
If you want to play the "scientists gives us..." trumpcard, start with this list.

Creationists have given us:

<long list of irrelevance>

And how many of those items were discovered that could not have been discovered without creationism?
And how many could not have been discovered without scientific investigation?

Ah, thank you AV, for wonderfully demonstrating the point!

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten as to what exactly you are talking about, along with some sources for your claims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ignorance-you were saying.

nice red herring. got any other fallacies in your pants you wish to show me? You cant contend or fight my argument so you must deal with my spelling. I can live with that. I would rather spell bad and have good arguments then be you.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe you should converse in daycare language, since name calling is what kids do, and I believe you understand that quite well. :thumbsup:

you have never seen a presidential debate have you?

I couldn't agree more; since the Scriptures are not meant to be used for science. In fact, some say that the Tower of Babel incident took place because science was progressing ahead of its time, and God stunted the growth of science for the sake of the future world in general, and the Israelites specifically.

actually it was god fearing mans power, theologically speaking. God afraid? GASP!!!

if god was really in control of this omnipotence, he never would have needed to destroy the tower of babble. In fact, god was SO afraid, he (theologically speaking) gave us all different languages? mankind was destined to be united, but god would rather we kill ourselves and bicker over subtle nuances instead. Great guy huh?

Upvote 0

DaveISBG

Jan 1, 2008
✟15,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Further tests concluded that the mixture had formed nucleobases, the building blocks of RNA, DNA, and Amino Acids. The building blocks of life. So it does seem that in-organic compounds, if combined and treated properly, can give rise to the basis of life
That’s like saying he made some bricks, then these bricks are somehow able construct themselves into the Empire State Building.
When life arose, who was there to combine and properly treat this compounds?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
That&#8217;s like saying he made some bricks, then these bricks are somehow able construct themselves into the Empire State Building.

Hey! I mixed together milk, flour, butter, baking powder, and eggs into a glass pan, and left it in the oven at 350 F. What I want to know is who came along and made it into an pound cake!!!

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Loudmouth said:
Creationism has always been impervious to logic, evidence, and reason.
As it should.
rofl.gif

That's so... funny... it almost deserves reps ^_^

Thanks for the honesty, AV. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey! I mixed together milk, flour, butter, baking powder, and eggs into a glass pan, and left it in the oven at 350 F. What I want to know is who came along and made it into an pound cake!!!
I'm sure it was fire spirits.

Reactions: atomweaver
Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That&#8217;s like saying he made some bricks, then these bricks are somehow able construct themselves into the Empire State Building.

and who was their to make sure god was their?

is it god or chemistry that turns the food you eat into excrement? If god, then he must be a janitor huh?

is it more fantastical to say over many iterations, chemicals became replicating through natural presses given the right environment, OR that a magic man dun it? Its really not that life arising from non life is illogical in your view, its that one explanation makes you feel good about yourself and the other one doesn't. Thats the real truth. It has nothing to do with which one is more possible, although you would look silly if you said the true reason behind your view.

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

We've all heard of drinking and driving; so the scriptures and science mixed together and you have "The Dark ages, inquisitions, human sheesh kebabs, and what not".

Any scientist who added to scientific knowledge did so by adhering to the rules of science; and whether he believed in god or not had nothing to do with it. An example is Geology. Any geologist who tried to reconcile the scriptures (flood) with geological empirical evidence ended up with cartoon geology.

:doh: :doh:

Upvote 0