Kentucky clerk denying marriage license to gay couple ordered to court - Let's play a game

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You don't think the deaths of thousands of people every month matter?

Do you honestly think their lives matter less than that of this one woman?

Why would you ask me such silly questions?

I responded to your assertion that "there are other things that I, personally, find much more worthy of my attention."

If that is true then why are you bothering to give attention to this thread?

Never mind. Don't answer that. I already know the answer.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why would you ask me such silly questions?

I responded to your assertion that "there are other things that I, personally, find much more worthy of my attention."

If that is true then why are you bothering to give attention to this thread?

Because you lot are worrying about something insiginifcant when compared to grander human suffering on a large scale and I was hoping you might be compelled to do something or, failing that, perhaps realise that there are bigger and more important things to worry about.

Never mind. Don't answer that. I already know the answer.

So would you mind answering my question? I can't help but notice that you haven't.

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Because you lot are worrying about something insiginifcant when compared to grander human suffering on a large scale and I was hoping you might be compelled to do something or, failing that, perhaps realise that there are bigger and more important things to worry about.

So would you mind answering my question? I can't help but notice that you haven't.

no one is talking about the plight of people from one area to another and other suffering because that's not what this thread is about. are people supposed to suspend all discussion on various issues?

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
What's really funny about this story is that this southern, backwards bigot is... A Democrat.
Why is that funny? Southern Democrats were the ones who supported segregation and Jim Crow laws in the 60s. Northern Democrats and Republicans used to be the liberal parties.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
no one is talking about the plight of people from one area to another and other suffering because that's not what this thread is about. are people supposed to suspend all discussion on various issues?

Hilsigne indicated he had no problems with the thread being off-topic, e.g. somehow - don't ask me how - this being Obama's personal fault. As I said before, if we're going off topic, I can find a few more important - in my eyes - topics.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I said before, if we're going off topic, I can find a few more important - in my eyes - topics.
me too... like why did the Grateful Dead only do 5 reunion shows this summer in celebration of their 50th anniversary instead of a whole tour?

That's been bothering me since July 6th.

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Hilsigne indicated he had no problems with the thread being off-topic, e.g. somehow - don't ask me how - this being Obama's personal fault. As I said before, if we're going off topic, I can find a few more important - in my eyes - topics.

but it still is somewhat relevant. a few years ago, obama himself said that he was disappointed with a supreme court decision and would try to do things to either diminish or invalidate what they upheld. he didn't follow through but he was scorned for just the notion. there are multiple cases of people who do not believe they should follow the law for one reason or another, or say that a law is unjust for whatever reason. I believe that's more pertinent to the discussion than hungarians doing all they can to limit the influx of syrians.

Reactions: hsilgne
Upvote 0

hsilgne

Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
but it still is somewhat relevant. a few years ago, obama himself said that he was disappointed with a supreme court decision and would try to do things to either diminish or invalidate what they upheld. he didn't follow through but he was scorned for just the notion. there are multiple cases of people who do not believe they should follow the law for one reason or another, or say that a law is unjust for whatever reason. I believe that's more pertinent to the discussion than hungarians doing all they can to limit the influx of syrians.

Thanks. Some people need it spelled out for them I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm not sure the comparison is relevant, is it?

Did Obama simply say he was going to ignore or defy the decision the way this clerk did? or did He say he would attempt to use the tools constitutionally available to him via the legislative process and executive privilege?

Most supreme court rulings such as this, the SCOTUS usually says "Congress can amend the law" if they don't like the decision.
Isn't that the correct, constitutional way to go about this sort of thing?

Citizens United, the ruling I believe you are referencing was a horrendous decision that has all but ruined our representative democratic election process, but nobody has simply ignored or defied it the way this clerk has ignored and outright defied the SSM ruling that I am aware of...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hsilgne

Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Why are you still here?
Don't you have better things worthy of your attention?

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I'm not sure the comparison is relevant, is it?

Did Obama simply say he was not going to abide by the decision the way this clerk did? or did He say he would attempt to use the tools constitutionally available to him via the legislative process and executive privilege?

Most supreme court rulings such as this, the SCOTUS usually says "Congress can amend the law" if they don't like the decision.
Isn't that the correct, constitutional way to go about this sort of thing?

Citizens United, the ruling I believe you are referencing was a horrendous decision that has all but ruined our representative democratic process, but nobody has simply ignored it that I am aware of...

this lady didn't have a podium like obama in criticizing the supreme court in the state of the union address. nor does the lady have politicians siding with her like obama does. however, it's relevant in that the president himself said the decision was wrong and tha it undid previous precedent. just for that simple fact, he was greatly criticized. there have been various other politicians who didn't agree with various laws. one in particular seated more than 9 supreme court justices just so he could have things go his way. obama and this clerk lady aren't the only ones who have questioned the courts or a law itself. politicians and average citizens have tried to bend or break the laws in a multiple of ways.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. obama and this clerk lady aren't the only ones who have questioned the courts or a law itself.

This clerk did much more than "question" the court & law. She openly defied them both, and Now she's in Jail.

That's how Civil society works.

BTW, They Live is my all time favorite move.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
This clerk did much more than "question" the court & law. She openly defied them both, and Now she's in Jail.

you forgot my last line.

politicians and average citizens have tried to bend or break the laws in a multiple of ways.

That's how Civil society works.

civil discourse entails a variety of ways people voice their displeasure with the system, laws. there isn't a one size fits all. people have went and still go about it through peaceful means, others, unfortunately, have used force.

BTW, They Live is my all time favorite move.

it is a gem. but I have the avatar as such for one of my idols who passed away just a few weeks ago. hot rod, rowdy roddy piper.

2810f7a81ce62bcff2e6c156130d874e.jpg

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rowdy Roddy was from my hometown... I saw Him here last summer @ the Cher / Cindi Lauper Concert.
Grew up watching him on "Portland Wrestling"

was very saddened when I heard he passed.

They Live still has the best fist fight scene ever filmed.

Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
As the OP I'd just like to say something on point of the thread.

Geez, was I wrong.

This judge is good and torqued off. I never suspected jail time.

You know by law he can keep her in jail for the duration of the term of the court.

..and I don't know how long the term of a Federal District court is but I'm guessing it's a least a year.

Upvote 0