Kim Davis, Who Denied Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples Violated Rights, Finds Federal Judge

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
During the time of the Black Death, though, the average serf would not have known the widespread extent of the pestilence...and there had been pestilences before. By the early 1900s, it was possible for the average person to know that the Spanish Flu pandemic was worldwide...and it had followed the first world war.
Hmm. I'm skeptical that people had no access to news or rumors from beyond their county.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one forces them to have a certain job. Those sects that forbid blood transfusions, do you think their members work in blood banks or as surgical nurses and then refuse to give or take blood?

While I have little sympathy for her this is a little different as the requirements for the job changed on er. She should still have to do her job but it's different from going into a blood bank job as a JW, and more like they suddenly started requiring giving transfusions out of the blue.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I have little sympathy for her this is a little different as the requirements for the job changed on er. She should still have to do her job but it's different from going into a blood bank job as a JW, and more like they suddenly started requiring giving transfusions out of the blue.

It can't be said to be "out of the blue." This situation has been approaching from the horizon for a decade. Every public office holder should have seen it coming.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

She had other options rather than violating people's rights.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Let us know when that happens in the US, so I can fight against it.

There's plenty of time to be mad about it if and when it happens. Don't go to your grave upset over phantoms.
Not at all upset. If I was unprepared, I might be. If I was in my 30's, I might be worried also.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Praise GOD she took a stand. That being said.. if the law ..to make it simple give to anyone according to the law and she disagreed..should have just quit. This day and age where just being a Christian you get attacked made fun of more now then ever before.. happens even here.
She wasn't and isn't ridiculed because she is a Christian. It has more to do with her arrogance and pride in carrying out her duties. And her comeuppance.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No,
The Bible could be, and has been, called racist. The cringing, narcissistic wimps who clamour for "safe spaces" will soon be running nations. I'll be 71 soon. I don't know how many years I have left. It may not be in my lifetime, but I fully expect the Bible to be outlawed in supposedly Christian nations.
I'm nearly as old as you, but probably better-looking:ebil:.
I live in America and I can pray anywhere I choose and can own as many Bibles as I want and can read it without interruption as long as my cat and dog do not need anything. I've heard this hand-wringing all my life.

The only problem (Christian) evangelicalism has is some of it's own adherents' actions, IMHO.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Kim Davis to pay $100,000 for denying same-sex couples marriage licenses

A federal jury decided Wednesday that former county clerk Kim Davisowes $100,000 in damages to a same-sex couple to whom she refused to provide a marriage license on three separate occasions.

Both sets of plaintiffs won their lawsuits at the summary judgment phase in March 2022. [i.e. the OP]

Liberty Counsel acknowledged in its statement Wednesday that despite the jury’s decision, the case has “potential to go to the U.S. Supreme Court

“Three of the five justices in the Obergefell majority are no longer on the Court,” the statement noted, echoing Justice Clarence Thomas’ words from a 2020 appeal that Davis attempted to bring before the justices.

“The Court has created a problem that only it can fix,” said Thomas at the time about the Obergefell decision.

Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Kim Davis to pay $100,000 for denying same-sex couples marriage licenses

A federal jury decided Wednesday that former county clerk Kim Davisowes $100,000 in damages to a same-sex couple to whom she refused to provide a marriage license on three separate occasions.

Both sets of plaintiffs won their lawsuits at the summary judgment phase in March 2022. [i.e. the OP]

Liberty Counsel acknowledged in its statement Wednesday that despite the jury’s decision, the case has “potential to go to the U.S. Supreme Court

“Three of the five justices in the Obergefell majority are no longer on the Court,” the statement noted, echoing Justice Clarence Thomas’ words from a 2020 appeal that Davis attempted to bring before the justices.

“The Court has created a problem that only it can fix,” said Thomas at the time about the Obergefell decision.

Should be a good lesson learned all-around.

That lesson being "You don't get to ignore the laws you don't like or refuse to do your duty just because you're in an elected position...and if you do, there are consequences (both professionally and financially)"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
She should have just resigned and saved herself the mess.
If you cant do the job for this or that reason, just find a different job..... Especially re a job in which you are supposed to provide services that people are entitled to by law.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If you cant do the job for this or that reason, just find a different job..... Especially re a job in which you are supposed to provide services that people are entitled to by law.
exactly! ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums