Joel Osteen: My Man

GodsMan82

May 1, 2014
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, but the problem is that it is all about positive stuff. No one's life is one blessing after another. He's part of the prosperity gospel and "you will do well if God loves you" crowd.

His type of thinking is great in terms of being motivated, but it can spiritually destroy people when things do not get better. What would Joel say if he went to a hospital? What would he say to the family with the dying 4 year old? Or the man watching his wife chances of surviving cancer continually decrease?

That is the issue people have with Joel, if you were curious. It leaves those that do suffer with nothing.

I understand that. It's hard to say what Joel will say/do if he has to talk to someone who's having g a rough life.

Upvote 0

GodsMan82

May 1, 2014
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Has he been to a hospital or worked as a chaplain?

He talks to suffering people all the time that tune into his program. What is he telling them?

I think he's telling them life is going to be okay and that God will be there to heal them. I don't know.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm never going to listen to the negativity of Joel. I mean I'm not going to listen to anything bad people say about him. They are wrong.

Joel is a powerful idol. He's handsome, rich, trim, successful, and tells you what you want to hear. It is easy for the natural man to follow him.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He can be a breath of fresh air and I have listened to him a few times. He isn't a theologian and that can be a good thing at times. He keeps with a lot of the simple truths and that is what a lot of people need to hear.

I personally haven't heard him preach any prosperity messages but if his beliefs follow those lines I would take issue with that. To many people have been terribly deceived with prosperity teaching.

The thing is if he is leading people to Christ, good for him, that is what we are suppose to do.

One tendency of some believers and preachers is if they disagree with another preachers teaching or preaching they want to sling mud and that is wrong. The body of Christ needs to be united not divided. I think it is ok to disagree with certain beliefs, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not listened to the man much.outer evidence displays that money is of far too much import in his doctrines.but only God knows the heart.
Nothing wrong with positives in a message.but does he preach the cross.. or just the dross?
That is to say does he preach to be thankful to God in ALL things?

People say with their lips that they live in God and believe Gods "in control" and they listen to all the nice teachings avoiding teachings that are not comfortable to hear.
And then when God...Who they say, with their lips,is in control,begins to take them through challange .for thier good,to work on our hearts the work of sanctification .to change us transforming us into the image of Christ.they blame the devil and run away from the potters hands... 'tis the danger of only hearing teaching that is nice to the ears.
Their actions contradict the profession of faith they make in God.

Paul desired to KNOW the lord,both in the glory of his resurection ANDin the fellowship of his sufferings ....

Not a verse you will hear from teachers who speak to please the ears of men.
--
The other question is,would he tell you off for calling him your man or would he recieve vain glory .
Give glory to God and God only in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm never going to listen to the negativity of Joel. I mean I'm not going to listen to anything bad people say about him. They are wrong.

And he replicates?whom... christ?well,let's see,you began a thread promoting,praising and defending...who?

Says a whole lot about whom we are following..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
On the Larry King show he refused to avow that Jesus was the only way to heaven. That pretty well disqualifies him in my eyes. He is a good speaker and I will listen to him on occasion,when I need my ears tickled. We have to constantly remind ourselves that elegance,beauty,drawing a large crowd does NOT validate true spirituality. The core of the Christian message is unpopular--guilt,one savior,one morality,a coming judgement. Jesus was crucified for a reason.

Reactions: BeutifultoGod
Upvote 0

GodsMan82

May 1, 2014
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't listen to him anymore? Who of today's televangelists should I listen to that talk the way they should without the prosperity gospel? Whoever you suggest, I will take a listen to. If I don't like them, I'll have to go back to Joel. But I will get my feet wet with whoever you guys suggest if more than one posts the same person. Hope you understand my question.

Upvote 0

Zech1210

Apr 16, 2014
✟15,776.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On the Larry King show he refused to avow that Jesus was the only way to heaven. That pretty well disqualifies him in my eyes. He is a good speaker and I will listen to him on occasion,when I need my ears tickled. We have to constantly remind ourselves that elegance,beauty,drawing a large crowd does NOT validate true spirituality. The core of the Christian message is unpopular--guilt,one savior,one morality,a coming judgement. Jesus was crucified for a reason.

Amen brother!

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't listen to him anymore? Who of today's televangelists should I listen to that talk the way they should without the prosperity gospel? Whoever you suggest, I will take a listen to. If I don't like them, I'll have to go back to Joel. But I will get my feet wet with whoever you guys suggest if more than one posts the same person. Hope you understand my question.

Do you attend a real church and are you part of a real fellowship of believers, or is Joel Osteen your "church"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The core of the Christian message is unpopular--guilt,one savior,one morality,a coming judgement. Jesus was crucified for a reason.

I love the way Billy Graham says it: "The cross is offensive."

When you frame Christ in a way to make him easy on sinners' ears, you aren't preaching the gospel anymore.

Upvote 0

GodsMan82

May 1, 2014
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you attend a real church and are you part of a real fellowship of believers, or is Joel Osteen your "church"?

Joel is my church cause he has a live broadcast @8:30AM. I know it's good to have a real church to fellowship with. But, please don't judge that I don't go to church.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And Joel has never been to seminary, which is a big plus in my book!
Hope maketh not ashamed, hope is a pardner to faith.
Joel always gives us hope.
And we are not of those who draw back into perdition or darkness.

How is having no studies a plus?

Upvote 0