Joel Osteen: My Man

GodsMan82

May 1, 2014
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I understand some of you will tell me to not like Joel Osteen, I'm sticking by my man for good. He's someone I look up to and like. I like him because he tells the bible stories in a positive way. And that's what I need right now. I don't know the term people use when they say that he says,"if you tithe, you will get all your wishes to come true." But I believe that to be true.

I AM going to let you all come in and post what you want. I will respect your opinions.

Reactions: Susie~Q

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know the term people use when they say that he says,"if you tithe, you will get all your wishes to come true." But I believe that to be true.

Do you mean the term "prosperity gospel"?

Personally, I don't believe that if you do x, you will get y, God isn't a store clerk, He is a loving Father. But I do believe that if you act in faith, your Father will be pleased. :)

God bless!

(Oh, I've never listened to Joel Osteen, so I have no opinion on him, but I'm glad you have found encouragement.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The prosperity gospel is a false gospel. It teaches a magic formula to manipulate God into giving us riches, as if He was a genie in a bottle. Jesus taught us how to have a relationship with God, and that is our number one priority: To love the Lord thy God with all of our heart, all of our soul, all of our mind and all of our strength. He said do not worry about what you will eat or drink, or wear, neither have an anxious mind: BUT SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS and all of these things will be added to you. This is the true prosperity gospel, a promise from our Lord and Savior for His sufficiency in every area of our life.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When I was a young christian I think I would of loved to listen to Joel, as is, a few yrs. ago watched him for the first time talking about positive thinking and being healed of your sickness by it, and if if you didn't see results.....well needless to say then you were the problem if you didn't see results.......I pretty much face palmed myself for watching him. My "man" is Jesus Christ, I love his Truth and his teachings of Faith....guess I'm just a negative person...lol.

Reactions: BeutifultoGod
Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you StassiT. I feel like no one should have anything against him at all. He's doing the work that God put him here on earth for.

The problem that many have is that he teaches that if you give lots of money, God will bless you. Why would God work that way?

There is also the problem of a lack of theology of suffering. For him, the more perfect your life is, the more it is obvious you are being blessed. The harder your life is, the more you are not blessed. This type of thinking can really devastate people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsMan82

May 1, 2014
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem that many have is that he teaches that if you give lots of money, God will bless you. Why would God work that way?

There is also the problem of a lack of theology of suffering. For him, the more perfect your life is, the more it is obvious you are being blessed. The harder your life is, the more you are not blessed. This type of thinking can really devastate people.

I don't have that mentality if you give, you will get. I just like him because he's positive. That's all I like about him.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right, but the problem is that it is all about positive stuff. No one's life is one blessing after another. He's part of the prosperity gospel and "you will do well if God loves you" crowd.

His type of thinking is great in terms of being motivated, but it can spiritually destroy people when things do not get better. What would Joel say if he went to a hospital? What would he say to the family with the dying 4 year old? Or the man watching his wife chances of surviving cancer continually decrease?

That is the issue people have with Joel, if you were curious. It leaves those that do suffer with nothing.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not listened to the man much.outer evidence displays that money is of far too much import in his doctrines.but only God knows the heart.
Nothing wrong with positives in a message.but does he preach the cross.. or just the dross?
That is to say does he preach to be thankful to God in ALL things?

People say with their lips that they live in God and believe Gods "in control" and they listen to all the nice teachings avoiding teachings that are not comfortable to hear.
And then when God...Who they say, with their lips,is in control,begins to take them through challange .for thier good,to work on our hearts the work of sanctification .to change us transforming us into the image of Christ.they blame the devil and run away from the potters hands... 'tis the danger of only hearing teaching that is nice to the ears.
Their actions contradict the profession of faith they make in God.

Paul desired to KNOW the lord,both in the glory of his resurection ANDin the fellowship of his sufferings ....

Not a verse you will hear from teachers who speak to please the ears of men.
--
The other question is,would he tell you off for calling him your man or would he recieve vain glory .
Give glory to God and God only in Christ Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

StassiT

Dec 20, 2013
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yeah,I'm not in agreement with that. That's why I just consider him to be a motivational speaker. I think everyone, non believers included can listen to him and not feel like they're receiving a "Christian message". Suffering is such an important part of our faith, I just don't see how that can be left out.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2014
✟7,645.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Joel Osteen seems nice for the most part, and he makes for a very great motivational speaker. I've never been able to fully read one of his books, but he's appeared on other media a great deal to the point that I'd say I have a compentant grasp of what his teachings are like.

My major complaint, though, is his advocacy of the Law of Attraction - a practice considered to be of the occult by many. I'm sure he supports the Law of Attraction with the best of intentions but still, it seems contradictory to Christian teachings.

Upvote 0