So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where did you get the facts that "only 7% were actually Nazi"? I think those who were in those death camps could speak they would cry out something much differently. Many of our fathers and grand fathers would certainly disagree with your statement. Please clarify what you meant, as it comes across that only 7% of all the German fighting force was genuine Nazi.
Members of the NAZI party.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Have you considered that if you hate them enough, they may just get so uncomfortable, and have such fear for their lives that they will just convert? This is a very popular way to convert people with the kids these days that I think you may have overlooked.
I can't argue with you here. God uses all things for His glory.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Probably the largest number of people turning to God at one time in the OT was Jonah who hated Nineveh. He preached nothing but judgement to them.
Yeah.. not the early church; not the mission work of the apostles; not Constantine making Christianity the official religion of the Roman empire. A jew telling gentiles about a God who, at the time, would only save His people, non?

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So you think ISIS is taking verses of the Quran out of context?

Just a bit!

I'm not enough of an Islamic scholar to call that on my own authority, so what I (and you) have to do is to hear and weigh, as best we can, the counter-arguments from non-ISIS Islamic scholars (i.e. representing 90% or more of the Islamic world)
That means giving them a fair hearing, and not automatically thinking that they are painting a softer picture just to lull the west's suspicions.
(Though, as with any religion, there are those who cannot see or admit the slightest flaw or problem in the history or current practice of their own faith. )

Do remember that both Al-Qaeda and the Taliban have condemned ISIS for being too extreme.
That has to take some doing.

And consider reports coming out from inside ISIS controlled areas as to just how the "Islamic Caliphate" is working out in practice... It doesn't seem to match the propaganda.

And one little positive bit of news, from elsewhere.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35151967
"A group of Kenyan Muslims travelling on a bus ambushed by Islamist gunmen protected Christian passengers by refusing to be split into groups, according to eyewitnesses."
The unity, the solidarity there was not Muslims together. It was normal, non-violent people together.
At the very present risk of getting shot for doing so, as far as the Muslims were concerned.

I can only hope I'd stand between a mob and a Muslim, or a mosque, should the need arise.
Not a bad way to go.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah come on! All the buildings destroyed in Shock and Awe, and this happens to be the one left standing?!

I can't catch a break around here...

US bombing is almost mythically precise. The US can place 500 pounds of high explosive precisely on any square meter of the earth's surface within 8 hours of an execution order. The hard part is placing it on the correct square meter.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ah come on! All the buildings destroyed in Shock and Awe, and this happens to be the one left standing?!

I can't catch a break around here...

All the buildings in Iraq weren't destroyed in "Shock and Awe", which was only at the beginning. They didn't even destroy all the presidential palaces like they said they were going to. They only said that so they could scare the top leaders out of them so the buildings (some of them) could be used by the US troops when they got there as bases.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just a bit!

I'm not enough of an Islamic scholar to call that on my own authority, so what I (and you) have to do is to hear and weigh, as best we can, the counter-arguments from non-ISIS Islamic scholars (i.e. representing 90% or more of the Islamic world)
That means giving them a fair hearing, and not automatically thinking that they are painting a softer picture just to lull the west's suspicions.
(Though, as with any religion, there are those who cannot see or admit the slightest flaw or problem in the history or current practice of their own faith. )

Do remember that both Al-Qaeda and the Taliban have condemned ISIS for being too extreme.
That has to take some doing.

And consider reports coming out from inside ISIS controlled areas as to just how the "Islamic Caliphate" is working out in practice... It doesn't seem to match the propaganda.

And one little positive bit of news, from elsewhere.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35151967
"A group of Kenyan Muslims travelling on a bus ambushed by Islamist gunmen protected Christian passengers by refusing to be split into groups, according to eyewitnesses."
The unity, the solidarity there was not Muslims together. It was normal, non-violent people together.
At the very present risk of getting shot for doing so, as far as the Muslims were concerned.

I can only hope I'd stand between a mob and a Muslim, or a mosque, should the need arise.
Not a bad way to go.

Chris
The leader of ISIS Zarqawi did not get along with the leader of Al Qaeda Bin Laden. So no surprise there but I doubt it's any disagreements with the Quran but who's in power. For a time Al Qaeda joined ISI but later broke off in 2013 when it became ISIS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Very much this, I think.
Ass perhaps http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2015/03/mehdi-hasan-how-islamic-islamic-state

The case that anger and a desire for identity fuels much ISIS recruitment from the west, not deep Islamic conviction, and that the Islamic dress of ISIS is at least as much cover story as it it's heart.

"But we have god on our side" is hardly a new coining.

Chris

Mehdi Hasan the writer who tries to claim Islam is a peaceful religion.
What I look for is quotes from the Quran to see if a group is following it's teachings or not. The quotes I have seen people used to show Islam as peaceful seem to be taking out of context.

Here is one of the few debates I've seen that someone tries to claim it's peaceful. I find Shabir Ally has a tough time trying to show the Quran is a book of peace. See what you think:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Mehdi Hasan the writer who tries to claim Islam is a peaceful religion.
What I look for is quotes from the Quran to see if a group is following it's teachings or not. The quotes I have seen people used to show Islam as peaceful seem to be taking out of context.

There are quite a few who do hold that Islam is a religion of peace, but I think you are right, that it isn't the most easy case to make from the Quran taken literally.
Which leaves the many, many Muslims who are peaceful doing better than their texts (out of simple humanity), or having found understandings of the texts which reduce or eliminate the tension.
Is that legitimate? Well, that depends on your framework of interpretation.
This is not unique to Islam, of course.

Chris.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm a little more than frustrated with the attitude of our country, especially those who share my faith as a Christian. The responses that I've seen towards Muslims and their communities is the typical ignorant and worldly reaction that has no place in the mouths/hearts of so called 'godly' people. How quickly we forget the real underlying issue, the true cause of our failure as a people toward each other. The differences between us are not what make us bad, evil or even dangerous. Just because a person or group of people commits a terrible act out of a twisted belief system does not make all people who are in anyway similar to them the same. How many lives have been taken by 'Christians'? How many terrible acts have been committed by those who have a twisted 'Christian' world view? Does this also make all Christians suspects for these acts as well? No certainly not, so why are we treating Muslims in this manner? Why should one group be targeted when down deep all are truly the same?

"If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." (James 2:8-13)

Maybe I have a different perspective because I've lived in Iraq and Afghanistan for several years due to deployment. I've worked, lived, shared meals with those who are different than me. Any time spent with those who are different than yourself will quickly change your attitude. You'll realize that we are all the same. We're all people who need the love of God and long for acceptance from our fellow man. All are fallible, all are sinners and all need God in their lives. How can we show the love of God and minister in His name if we reject His children? If you claim to love God, then you must go out and open your heart, your mind to someone you think is different and pray for their salvation.

Brothers and Sisters, remember that Jesus sits on the Throne in Heaven. Because we know this, we do not need to fear this world of cruel people. God is truly in control!
Amen - and thank you for sharing in a way that brings the issues that matter the most BACK into perspective...

Reactions: GillDouglas
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Radical Islam has rattled my nerves, blew up my vehicles and killed my friends. I hold no animosity towards Islam regardless of that. If you haven't walk my road. Don't come talking to me about radical Islam if you haven't experienced first hand like I have. Your fears are ridiculous and unfounded. Because for those that tried to kill me, the rest just wanted to raise their family in peace just like everyone else. People ned to quit dehumanizing muslims or you will continue to live in fear because no amount of military action will ever fully beat it, but I know what will.

Radical Islam has rattled my nerves, blew up my vehicles and killed my friends. I hold no animosity towards Islam regardless of that. If you haven't walk my road. Don't come talking to me about radical Islam if you haven't experienced first hand like I have. Your fears are ridiculous and unfounded. Because for those that tried to kill me, the rest just wanted to raise their family in peace just like everyone else. People ned to quit dehumanizing muslims or you will continue to live in fear because no amount of military action will ever fully beat it, but I know what will.
So true...

Upvote 0