Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a little more than frustrated with the attitude of our country, especially those who share my faith as a Christian. The responses that I've seen towards Muslims and their communities is the typical ignorant and worldly reaction that has no place in the mouths/hearts of so called 'godly' people. How quickly we forget the real underlying issue, the true cause of our failure as a people toward each other. The differences between us are not what make us bad, evil or even dangerous. Just because a person or group of people commits a terrible act out of a twisted belief system does not make all people who are in anyway similar to them the same. How many lives have been taken by 'Christians'? How many terrible acts have been committed by those who have a twisted 'Christian' world view? Does this also make all Christians suspects for these acts as well? No certainly not, so why are we treating Muslims in this manner? Why should one group be targeted when down deep all are truly the same?

"If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." (James 2:8-13)

Maybe I have a different perspective because I've lived in Iraq and Afghanistan for several years due to deployment. I've worked, lived, shared meals with those who are different than me. Any time spent with those who are different than yourself will quickly change your attitude. You'll realize that we are all the same. We're all people who need the love of God and long for acceptance from our fellow man. All are fallible, all are sinners and all need God in their lives. How can we show the love of God and minister in His name if we reject His children? If you claim to love God, then you must go out and open your heart, your mind to someone you think is different and pray for their salvation.

Brothers and Sisters, remember that Jesus sits on the Throne in Heaven. Because we know this, we do not need to fear this world of cruel people. God is truly in control!

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm a little more than frustrated with the attitude of our country, especially those who share my faith as a Christian. The responses that I've seen towards Muslims and their communities is the typical ignorant and worldly reaction that has no place in the mouths/hearts of so called 'godly' people. How quickly we forget the real underlying issue, the true cause of our failure as a people toward each other. The differences between us are not what make us bad, evil or even dangerous. Just because a person or group of people commits a terrible act out of a twisted belief system does not make all people who are in anyway similar to them the same. How many lives have been taken by 'Christians'? How many terrible acts have been committed by those who have a twisted 'Christian' world view? Does this also make all Christians suspects for these acts as well? No certainly not, so why are we treating Muslims in this manner? Why should one group be targeted when down deep all are truly the same?

Because we are not the same. Some people are Christians and some are not, just as some people are righteous, and some are not.

Whew, so glad I could clear that up for you right off the bat.

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

"If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." (James 2:8-13)

Maybe I have a different perspective because I've lived in Iraq and Afghanistan for several years due to deployment. I've worked, lived, shared meals with those who are different than me. Any time spent with those who are different than yourself will quickly change your attitude. You'll realize that we are all the same. We're all people who need the love of God and long for acceptance from our fellow man. All are fallible, all are sinners and all need God in their lives. How can we show the love of God and minister in His name if we reject His children? If you claim to love God, then you must go out and open your heart, your mind to someone you think is different and pray for their salvation.

Brothers and Sisters, remember that Jesus sits on the Throne in Heaven. Because we know this, we do not need to fear this world of cruel people. God is truly in control!

Gill you have a number of different points to address.
The US government has to protect its citizens from harm. You know this first hand. Thank you for your service. At this level, the authorities must determine, which, if any, Muslim sects are to be trusted to be civil. That is for our government and "We The People" to decide as a democracy.
As individual Christians we are called to love and not fear. We are to love our neighbors and love our enemies, even those who are wishing to destroy us. This is a tough task, to carry our cross and follow Yeshua, Jesus, but one that we are commanded to obey. Like Peter, we want to be zealous, but we fail in our own strength. We need God's grace.
As humans we fail and we let fear be our guide. This calls for our repentance when we let our natural self take God's place in our lives. We are not children of this world, but children of God, by adoption. We are to honor our father, by obeying his command to love others as we walk in a foreign kingdom. To that end we are in agreement as brothers.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There was a certain Muslim migrant man who stated that they are using the Christian values of Germany to infiltrate and assume the land. He said the liberals will be the first victims when the time comes.

It seems like Satan (through people) will USE the love of Christ to overpower and destroy people. So the big question for each of us is How far will we go with the love of Christ? Do we allow people who threaten us to move in to our neighborhood?
I feel like we need to love everyone and expect God to protect us. However, what will you do when they are living in tents in your front lawn? And then what happens when the rapes begin like in Sweden? What will we do then?
Do you leave your keys in your car or your house unlocked when you leave? Should we love our enemies so much that we just let them harm us?

I just don't know but it needs to be discussed. Things will be changing for many of us very soon and we need to be ready.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There was a certain Muslim migrant man who stated that they are using the Christian values of Germany to infiltrate and assume the land. He said the liberals will be the first victims when the time comes.

It seems like Satan (through people) will USE the love of Christ to overpower and destroy people. So the big question for each of us is How far will we go with the love of Christ? Do we allow people who threaten us to move in to our neighborhood?
I feel like we need to love everyone and expect God to protect us. However, what will you do when they are living in tents in your front lawn? And then what happens when the rapes begin like in Sweden? What will we do then?
Do you leave your keys in your car or your house unlocked when you leave? Should we love our enemies so much that we just let them harm us?

I just don't know but it needs to be discussed. Things will be changing for many of us very soon and we need to be ready.

i agree it needs to be discussed.

This might be a good start:

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just because a person or group of people commits a terrible act out of a twisted belief system does not make all people who are in anyway similar to them the same.

Straw-man, stopped reading.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

That's one heck of a oikophobic, sanctimonious, Pharisaical rant. 'maybe I have a different perspective because I have spent time around people different than me(sic)'.... You know, unlike we filthy sinners who 1) See the violent commands of Muhammad, 2) see his violent behavior 3) see people committing violence in the name of his teachings and then see the obvious connection. You see, I have spent lots of time living and working with people from dramatically different cultures. However, according to the words of the OP the only reason why I could think differently from him is because every person I ever met is exactly the same as I. There's no sense in concluding that people doing violent things are doing so because they follow the violent teachings of a violent man who taught violence. Only a xenophobic bigot would think that! But then, promiscuous charges of xenophobia are the hallmark of the sanctimonious oikophobia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You don't need to repeat obummer's address a few weeks ago lecturing Americans on anti-muslim bigotry. Real Americans don't deny the scourge of radical Islam.
Very true. Typically American soldiers are averse to such oikophobic bigotry.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's one heck of a oikophobic, sanctimonious, Pharisaical rant. 'maybe I have a different perspective because I have spent time around people different than me(sic)'.... You know, unlike we filthy sinners who 1) See the violent commands of Muhammad, 2) see his violent behavior 3) see people committing violence in the name of his teachings and then see the obvious connection. You see, I have spent lots of time living and working with people from dramatically different cultures. However, according to the words of the OP the only reason why I could think differently from him is because every person I ever met is exactly the same as I. There's no sense in concluding that people doing violent things are doing so because they follow the violent teachings of a violent man who taught violence. Only a xenophobic bigot would think that! But then, promiscuous charges of xenophobia are the hallmark of the sanctimonious oikophobia.

I think I've touched a nerve here, and it's possible you misunderstand me. I have not read the Quran so I cannot comment on its teachings. But I do know that people who follow the Islamic faith are not the only group of people that kill or terrorize in the name of religion. My point is that they are bad people in all camps/race/religion and as Christians we should be the better person and try not to respond with hate. I'm pretty sure terrorism doesn't grow out of love, but hate. I know it's a difficult concept to consider, loving those who mean us harm, but I feel it is an accurate understanding of the Bible's teachings.

You cannot say "i love my neighbor" and refuse to help protect your neighbor from foreign threats.
I never said anything about refusing to protect my family, my neighbors and this country against foreign and domestic threats. My point is not to look at every Muslim and immediately determine them as a threat. You know in Iraq and Afghanistan this is a harder thing to determine. The guy that's your local 'buddy' during the day is probably the guy setting off mortars at night. Until you know for certain, you cannot retaliate per the rules of engagement.

Gentlemen. We are to be examples among the believers and unbelievers. If we are not Christ-like in all of our interactions with friends, family and our enemies we are not being the example. This certainly would not further our mission in bringing others to the Lord. Love heals all things, and that's what we need to show more of, even to complete strangers. How differently would things have turned out if the radicalized were shown the love of Christ through His people?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Muslims cannot behave like IS in Germany. Their children will go through the school system. For whatever reason they come here they are more vulnerable to conversion here than in their home countries. Having converted they also provide a window into their home countries through which the light of the gospel might shine.

Do not underestimate the power of pity to transform even the most Machiavellian of its beneficiaries

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You don't need to repeat obummer's address a few weeks ago lecturing Americans on anti-muslim bigotry. Real Americans don't deny the scourge of radical Islam.
"real americans"? How many years have you served your country there GQ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Radical Islam has rattled my nerves, blew up my vehicles and killed my friends. I hold no animosity towards Islam regardless of that. If you haven't walk my road. Don't come talking to me about radical Islam if you haven't experienced first hand like I have. Your fears are ridiculous and unfounded. Because for those that tried to kill me, the rest just wanted to raise their family in peace just like everyone else. People ned to quit dehumanizing muslims or you will continue to live in fear because no amount of military action will ever fully beat it, but I know what will.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Radical Islam has rattled my nerves, blew up my vehicles and killed my friends. I hold no animosity towards Islam regardless of that. If you haven't walk my road. Don't come talking to me about radical Islam if you haven't experienced first hand like I have. Your fears are ridiculous and unfounded. Because for those that tried to kill me, the rest just wanted to raise their family in peace just like everyone else. People ned to quit dehumanizing muslims or you will continue to live in fear because no amount of military action will ever fully beat it, but I know what will.
May I quote this in another thread?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you are making a distinction between violent jihad-oriented Muslims and the rest of the world's Muslims...which is just about the same point that everyone else has made or would make if asked. The problem comes when someone suggests that the first group of Muslims--who are not insignificant in numbers or militancy, I hope you will agree--should be dealt with in any way whatsoever. To suggest something of that sort, even in general terms, immediately brings forth the "You hate all Muslims" crowd.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It sounds like you are making a distinction between violent jihad-oriented Muslims and the rest of the world's Muslims...which is just about the same point that everyone else has made or would make if asked. The problem comes when someone suggests that the first group of Muslims--who are not insignificant in numbers or militancy, I hope you will agree--should be dealt with in any way whatsoever. To suggest something of that sort, even in general terms, immediately brings forth the "You hate all Muslims" crowd.

But why is the answer to shut out and demonize all Muslims then? If you hate radical Islam, and treat all of Islam as though it's radical Islam, then do you not hate all Muslims?

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0