Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
OK. What do you think were the low spots in the history of Christianity in the last 2,000 years, and why were they not as bad as anything found in the history of Islam?

Why specifically ask about the low spots? Christians in the Middle Ages and the early modern period built schools hospitals and other charitable institutions. The rise of Christianity also meant the suppression of infanticide, pederasty, gladitorial combat and a host of other evils of the ancient world. Critical accounts of church history generally focus exclusive on "low points" and portray them as representative of the times as a whole. That's not historical research though; it's propaganda.

Start with the crusades,

At least initially, defensive wars against Islamic aggression.

the Reconquista

Do you think that the Iberian penninsula would have been better off staying under Islamic rule? If so, perhaps it would be helpful if you could explain why.

and the Conquest of the New World

Ditto for this. Were you under the impression that the pre-Columbian Americas were some sort of earthly paradise?

Make sure to include the 30 Years War,

Christianity may not have put an end to power politics, but keep in mind that what came after that war - the Treaty of Westphalia. It was an earnest attempt to ensure that the carnage of that war wasn't repeated, and Europe didn't see another war of that scale for 150 years. It also became a foundational document of international law.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why specifically ask about the low spots? Christians in the Middle Ages and the early modern period built schools hospitals and other charitable institutions. The rise of Christianity also meant the suppression of infanticide, pederasty, gladitorial combat and a host of other evils of the ancient world. Critical accounts of church history generally focus exclusive on "low points" and portray them as representative of the times as a whole. That's not historical research though; it's propaganda.

At least initially, defensive wars against Islamic aggression.

Do you think that the Iberian penninsula would have been better off staying under Islamic rule? If so, perhaps it would be helpful if you could explain why.

Ditto for this. Were you under the impression that the pre-Columbian Americas were some sort of earthly paradise?

Christianity may not have put an end to power politics, but keep in mind that what came after that war - the Treaty of Westphalia. It was an earnest attempt to ensure that the carnage of that war wasn't repeated, and Europe didn't see another war of that scale for 150 years. It also became a foundational document of international law.
So, basically tu quoque.

Reactions: Chris B
Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why specifically ask about the low spots?

Because that was more relevant, gave you a free choice, and I hoped it would give me some idea of your understanding of the history of Christianity.

I'm perfectly aware of some of the better points of organised religion in general and Christianity in particular.
That's not what needed addressing, in context.

But you seem to be rather sensitive on the matter.
Although, turning this about, if a Muslim faced with critique of his faith immediately responded by commenting only of its positive aspects, then I suspect they would be accused or denial or evasion.

I'm after a level playing field: tools and arguments used by one side available reciprocally.

Chris.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is like saying during WW2 we demonize Germans since we went to war with them while only 7% were actually Nazi. It's was impossible to separate Germans from the Nazis so we had to bomb the nation as a whole.
Because we declared war on Germany, not just on the Nazis.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I have a different perspective because I've lived in Iraq and Afghanistan for several years due to deployment. I've worked, lived, shared meals with those who are different than me. Any time spent with those who are different than yourself will quickly change your attitude. You'll realize that we are all the same. We're all people who need the love of God and long for acceptance from our fellow man. All are fallible, all are sinners and all need God in their lives. How can we show the love of God and minister in His name if we reject His children? If you claim to love God, then you must go out and open your heart, your mind to someone you think is different and pray for their salvation.

Brothers and Sisters, remember that Jesus sits on the Throne in Heaven. Because we know this, we do not need to fear this world of cruel people. God is truly in control!

As an American in the armed forces, you may have seen their better sides.

Try living among them as an Asian from a poor country. I must have lost count being harassed.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a little more than frustrated with the attitude of our country, especially those who share my faith as a Christian.

GillDouglas, here is what you have to rise above: You said "our country." If by "our country" you did not mean heaven, then that's why you are frustrated. This is something I learned overseas in fellowship with Christians in the Far East. I realized that heaven was my nation and those Christians who had never set foot on American soil were actually my "fellow countrymen."

That is why my statement is, "I am a citizen of Heaven, currently deployed to the United States to execute a mission of limited duration. Then I'm going home." The Lord has others deployed to Japan, India, China, Africa, Europe--all fellow soldiers to me, all serving under the command of Jesus, all serving under the same "UCHJ."

I have come to understand that "American culture" is not the culture of heaven, therefore it is not my culture, any more than the native cultures of Japan or Korea or Saudi Arabia were my cultures when I was in those places.

But right now, I have a mission to perform. Hey, get deeply into 1 Peter. That book is actually the SOFA for citizens of heaven deployed to the world.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
So, are you a member of ISIS? Because you sound just like them...
Don't you think all muslims, the umma, should aspire to do the deeds of Mohammed ?
To be like him, and for all who believe in the last day, they must wage a holy war and kill and destroy as many as they can to facilitate the coming of the Mahdi, this is the will of Allah in their book. All who are Islam should follow what the voice of their prophet Mohammed calls upon them to do, that is to be submitted to Allah and his word, otherwise they are apostate and should be killed. Those who do not agree are takfir..

In Islamic law, takfir or takfeer (Arabic: تكفير‎ takfīr) refers to the practice of excommunication, one Muslim declaring another Muslim as kafir (infidel). The act which precipitates takfir is termed the mukaffir. Such are to be killed without mercy.
All infidel women- girls- infants may be taken at any time as sex slaves and whatever is desired will be done to them.
Sharia law is to be enforced upon all the nations and if they do not submit, then cut off their fingertips and then their heads.
unbelievers can pay an exorbitant tax, but they must submit to Sharia law. Still their life is in the hands of capricious men.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
So, are you a member of ISIS? Because you sound just like them...

Don't you think all muslims, the umma, should aspire to do the deeds of Mohammed ?
To be like him, and for all who believe in the last day, they must wage a holy war and kill and destroy as many as they can to facilitate the coming of the Mahdi, this is the will of Allah in their book. All who are Islam should follow what the voice of their prophet Mohammed calls upon them to do, that is to be submitted to Allah and his word, otherwise they are apostate and should be killed. Those who do not agree are takfir..

In Islamic law, takfir or takfeer (Arabic: تكفير‎ takfīr) refers to the practice of excommunication, one Muslim declaring another Muslim as kafir (infidel). The act which precipitates takfir is termed the mukaffir. Such are to be killed without mercy.
All infidel women- girls- infants may be taken at any time as sex slaves and whatever is desired will be done to them.
Sharia law is to be enforced upon all the nations and if they do not submit, then cut off their fingertips and then their heads.
unbelievers can pay an exorbitant tax, but they must submit to Sharia law. Still their life is in the hands of capricious men.
So, was that a yes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
So, was that a yes?
You are assuming something I never said, odd that you suggest I am ISIS.
Have you seen or talked with any radicalized muslims in the UK?
For a muslim it is permitted to lie to further the cause of Islam in conquering territory, then may even say they are christian. You can not trust them, for a muslim it is not permitted to befriend an unbeliever, but they may pretend to like you while inside they hate you.
Not all muslims have been educated in the Sharia yet. When they have been properly taught, they will a true follower as is ISIS.

Reactions: Thunder Peel
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
http://www.billionbibles.org/sharia/sharia-law.html
This is an example of sharia, cut off the hands and feet.
Many polls suggest all muslims desire sharia law enforced in the countries they live in.
Sharia%20law.jpg

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Perhaps you can share a link? I am tired of doing other people's research for them.
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5128/france-no-go-zones

There are plenty of other links. I think the most disturbing thing is that muslims want their own laws in other countries such that they desire their own "zones" instead of wanting to integrate into other countries they often reject the culture around them.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-was-home-to-two-of-the-gunmen-a6735551.html

Brice De Ruyver, who spent eight years as security adviser to then-Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt, said Molenbeek suffers from a cocktail of problems. “Youths are poorly educated, attracted by petty crime, have run-ins with police, and then there is a vicious circle, which leads to recruitment by radical groups,” he said, adding that the problems are now so serious, that it is hard to find police willing to bother tackling them.

“We don’t officially have no-go zones in Brussels, but in reality, there are, and they are in Molenbeek.”

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
You are assuming something I never said, odd that you suggest I am ISIS.
Have you seen or talked with any radicalized muslims in the UK?
No, I've never met one. All the Muslims I know aren't radicalised.

For a muslim it is permitted to lie to further the cause of Islam in conquering territory, then may even say they are christian. You can not trust them, for a muslim it is not permitted to befriend an unbeliever, but they may pretend to like you while inside they hate you.
Not all muslims have been educated in the Sharia yet. When they have been properly taught, they will a true follower as is ISIS.
You give the impression of knowing even less about Islam than I do.

I think people should look up no-go zones who think muslims aren't interested in their own "law".
I live in an area touted as being a no go zone. I come and go as I please.

Upvote 0

bhayes

Jesus is Lord.
Dec 13, 2012
Canada
✟43,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There was a certain Muslim migrant man who stated that they are using the Christian values of Germany to infiltrate and assume the land. He said the liberals will be the first victims when the time comes.

It seems like Satan (through people) will USE the love of Christ to overpower and destroy people. So the big question for each of us is How far will we go with the love of Christ? Do we allow people who threaten us to move in to our neighborhood?
I feel like we need to love everyone and expect God to protect us. However, what will you do when they are living in tents in your front lawn? And then what happens when the rapes begin like in Sweden? What will we do then?
Do you leave your keys in your car or your house unlocked when you leave? Should we love our enemies so much that we just let them harm us?

I just don't know but it needs to be discussed. Things will be changing for many of us very soon and we need to be ready.

Liberalism is not the love of Christ. The love of Christ is far greater then tolerating someone's viewpoint even if it is wrong.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
ISIS is the truest expression of Islam. Other muslims against ISIS are apostate to Islam.

Well that's the Isis view.
There are other Islamic ones, both more widely held and longer established. Which differ, firmly.
Without some very clear supporting argument it would seem to be on a par with saying
"True Christians handle poisonous snakes during their services"
or
"All Protestant men wear bowler hats and orange sashes."

Upvote 0