Is the law eternal -- the book of Galatians.

Byfaithalone1

The gospel is Jesus Christ!
May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In a previous post, I implied that it may be helpful for those who celebrate days and months and seasons and years to evaluate whether such observance is enslaving them. I don't take it as a given that it is.

Romans 14 clarifies that there should not be judgment on any side of the table, and I take that to heart.

BFA

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In a previous post, I implied that it may be helpful for those who celebrate days and months and seasons and years to evaluate whether such observance is enslaving them. I don't take it as a given that it is.

Romans 14 clarifies that there should not be judgment on any side of the table, and I take that to heart.

BFA
Agreed.:thumbsup:... The context proves that Paul was adressing whom to recieve as a christian.

It seem quite clear that Paul first addresses what a person may eat.
It seem that Paul's speech calls "the faith of one who eats no meat but only herb" as the weaker brother, in reference to the one who "eat all things."
This cast a vote for no food restrictions.
Rom 14:2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

Why should we let commentary tell us that Paul did'nt mean unclean meats?
That would appear to be a bogus dialog.
It seems clear that Paul was specifying the habbits of primarily Gentiles and other nationalities who had no food restrictions.

Paul then turns from food to the days of worship that men render to God.
Paul appears as promoting worship whatever day or days a man is pursuaded to give to God.
Rom 14:5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

The common thread in these 2 subjects is that, noone is to judge God's servants by food or days of worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Knowledge leads us to judge and we must need war against it.

Wisdom leads us to be wise in our conceits and to despise the ignorance of elementary knowledge alone, and we must need war against this spirit.

Joe

Sadly, what you've written can certainly be true. If I could know anything better, I'd prefer to know HIM better.

BFA

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, what you've written can certainly be true. If I could know anything better, I'd prefer to know HIM better.

BFA
BFA,

Amen and amen.

Here are a few of the testimonies of Jesus whereby the Lord has spoken to my heart and mind concerning knowing the Lord.

John 17:3
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. KJV

Phil 3:10
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; KJV

Gal 4:9
9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? KJV

Heb 8:11
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. KJV

1 John 2:13
I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. KJV

Joe

Upvote 0

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
Raliegh Durham North Carolina
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The covenant was a good covenant, the problem was the spirit that ruled over the thoughts and feelings of the people. The fault was with the people. "Legalism" led them to hate. In their last century, their commercial interests led to a neglect of their worship, and they became despisers of good and sold their own brethren into perpetual bondage. The spirit of "Judas, the son of perdition," overcame them as they were being subjugated by the Assyrians and then fully by the Babylonians. The message in Malachi tells of their final state of mind that prepared them for the Romans. The priests would do nothing unless they were paid. Gain was understood as an evidence of godliness.

So it is in our day.

Joe

Have you considered the fact that the Old Covenant demanded a New Covenant?

AT

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The covenant was a good covenant, the problem was the spirit that ruled over the thoughts and feelings of the people. The fault was with the people. "Legalism" led them to hate.

The fault that was with the people ran even deeper than legalism. No person has ever lived up to the terms of the old covenant.

BFA

Upvote 0

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
Raliegh Durham North Carolina
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The fault that was with the people ran even deeper than legalism.

Yes...I agree...the problem was not legalism, the problem was that the people where in Adam.

No person has ever lived up to the terms of the old covenant.

None but one....Israel, that is Christ.

AT

Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a gospel to the uncircumcised and there is a gospel to the circumcised.

Gal 2:7-11
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do. KJV

The gospel to the circumcised makes us crucified unto the world.

The gospel to the uncircumcised makes the world crucified unto us.

Gal 6:14-18

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
KJV

First law that leads to faith. Then faith that gives birth to grace. Grace gives us to bear in our body the marks of the Lord Jesus, the fruit of peace.

Our fig tree will be cut down and burned without the fruit of peace.

Joe

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a gospel to the uncircumcised and there is a gospel to the circumcised.

There is "a different gospel" that we are to avoid entirely. The basis of "a different gospel" is that righteousness comes through the law.

First law that leads to faith.

The ministry of letters engraved on stones brings death. The law is not of faith.

BFA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is "a different gospel" that we are to avoid entirely. The basis of "a different gospel" is that righteousness comes through the law.

The ministry of letters engraved on stones brings death. The law is not of faith.

BFA

The law is not "of faith" even as the man is not "of the woman."

Faith is of the law, even as woman is of the the man.

Joe

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith is of the law

If so, then we can advocate for faith.

We need not advocate for law, for law is not of faith. Rather, the law is a ministry to which we must die for the law brings death.

BFA

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If so, then we can advocate for faith.

We need not advocate for law, for law is not of faith. Rather, the law is a ministry to which we must die for the law brings death.

BFA
BFA,

Truly we must die, and sin works death in us, by that which is good.

Rom 7:13
13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. KJV

Joe

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Truly we must die, and sin works death in us, by that which is good

One challenging aspect of Romans 7 is that we must die to that which is good. Why? Because I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
14For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
15For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
17So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
If I do not die to the law, I commit spiritual adultery.

BFA

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One challenging aspect of Romans 7 is that we must die to that which is good. Why? Because I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
14For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
15For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
17So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
If I do not die to the law, I commit spiritual adultery.

BFA
BFA,

Truly, but which law. There are two laws in Romans 7 and the law of the Spirit of life that is in Christ Jesus sets us free from one of those laws.

Joe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BFA,

Truly, but which law. There are two laws in Romans 7 and the law of the Spirit of life that is in Christ Jesus sets us free from one of those laws.

Joe

Q: What type of law is described in Verse 7 (i.e. the verse that refers to "thou shalt not covet" and immediately follows the statement that we are released from the law)?

Q: What type of law is described in Verse 8 (i.e. the reference to "the commandment?").

Q: What type of law is described in Verse 14 (i.e. the verse that refers to the law as "spiritual").

A: It seems to me that the answer to all of these question includes (but is not limited to) the ten commandments.

BFA

Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Q: What type of law is described in Verse 7 (i.e. the verse that refers to "thou shalt not covet" and immediately follows the statement that we are released from the law)?

Q: What type of law is described in Verse 8 (i.e. the reference to "the commandment?").

Q: What type of law is described in Verse 14 (i.e. the verse that refers to the law as "spiritual").

A: It seems to me that the answer to all of these question includes (but is not limited to) the ten commandments.

BFA
BFA,

There are 2 laws witnessed in Romans 7. The law of God (verses 7,8,14) and the law of sin in our members(flesh) that wars against the law of God in which we delight, which is in our mind. But the law of "you shall not covet", is weaker than the law of sin that is in our members; which rises up in our thoughts and brings us into its captivity; though we delight in the law of God.

Only the law of the spirit of life that is in Christ Jesus can deliver our minds from the captivity of the law of sin.

Rom 7:21-23
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. KJV

Rom 7:24-8:2
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. KJV

The law of the Spirit sets our mind free from the law of sin and death, and keeps the law of sin contained in the body until the redemption/adoption of the body.

Even though we have the law of sin in our flesh like all other men; in Jesus, God, the Father, gives us the assurance that he does not condemn us because of this evil that is present with us in our bodies. And much more, he drives the law of sin from our mind and drives it back into our flesh, and its members, saving us by his life.

This is a daily, continual work of grace abounding upon us as the law of "you shall not" increases in our inward man and continually reproves us and gives us to become ever more fully conscious of the attributes of the sin that lives in our flesh. Thus grace much more increases and abounds as we bear in our body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Joe

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are 2 laws witnessed in Romans 7. The law of God (verses 7,8,14) and the law of sin in our members(flesh)

If so, then which of these laws is found in Romans 7:1-7?

I submit that Verse 7 answers this question quite clearly. We are released from the law that includes "thou shalt not covet."

BFA

Upvote 0

Joe67

Sep 8, 2008
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If so, then which of these laws is found in Romans 7:1-7?

I submit that Verse 7 answers this question quite clearly. We are released from the law that includes "thou shalt not covet."

BFA
BFA,

Without the law of "thou shalt not covet", how will a man be convinced of sin, daily, continually? How will he bear about in his body the dying of the Lord Jesus, except the law speak to him and bring about his death, daily, continually?

Joe

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Without the law of "thou shalt not covet", how will a man be convinced of sin, daily, continually? How will he bear about in his body the dying of the Lord Jesus, except the law speak to him and bring about his death, daily, continually?

It's a great question, one I've asked myself. I am persuaded by John 16:5-15.

It was hard for me to grapple with the idea that I must die to the law so that I may be joined with another. It took time for me to accept that, if I seek to be simultaneously joined with (1) Jesus Christ and (2) "thou shalt not covet," I commit spiritual adultery.

BFA

Upvote 0