Is regeneration dependent upon human will?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is regeneration dependent upon human will? Must man do something in order for God to regenerate him, or does God regenerate whom He pleases with no regard to what man has done?

Can a dead man do anything? Can a blind man walking in darkness cause the light to shine? Can a crazy man cure himself? Can a leopard change his spots?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes then man, who is born dead and blind, crazy and drinks iniquity like water can do something to cause his regeneration.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One must have faith, a faith that produces fruit. Is faith self-manifested? Or from God?

Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is regeneration dependent upon human will?

Partially - Dod DRAWS, and PROVIDES THE MEANS, but Man must Surrender, and repent.

Must man do something in order for God to regenerate him, or does God regenerate whom He pleases with no regard to what man has done?

That's covered nicely in Rom 9:10-16.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Partially - Dod DRAWS, and PROVIDES THE MEANS, but Man must Surrender, and repent.

So regeneration happens after repentance?

Okay. What does it do? What changes in a man after regeneration, if anything?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So regeneration happens after repentance?

Okay. What does it do? What changes in a man after regeneration, if anything?
It changes you from the inside out over time. It changes how you think, what you do, how you talk, etc. What sinful things you used to find pleasure in you eventually come to dislike, and what holy things you used to avoid you eventually come to get involved with. In short, you become a new (and better) person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It changes you from the inside out over time. It changes how you think, what you do, how you talk, etc. What sinful things you used to find pleasure in you eventually come to dislike, and what holy things you used to avoid you eventually come to get involved with. In short, you become a new (and better) person.

So the old man doesn't want to do these things? Does the old man want these changes?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the old man doesn't want to do these things? Does the old man want these changes?
Are you talking *after* regeneration? The old man unfortunately sticks around and still has a great influence on the new man. That's the problem Paul lamented in Rom. 7. The good news is that after regeneration, the Spirit gives us the power to resist, whereas before regeneration we were slaves to sin without the ability to resist. The Christian sins because s/he wants to, the non-Christian sins because s/he has to.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking *after* regeneration? The old man unfortunately sticks around and still has a great influence on the new man. That's the problem Paul lamented in Rom. 7. The good news is that after regeneration, the Spirit gives us the power to resist, whereas before regeneration we were slaves to sin without the ability to resist. The Christian sins because s/he wants to, the non-Christian sins because s/he has to.

So the unregenerate man doesn't want to change? (Let's try it that way :))

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No. I don't think the unregenerate man wants to change.

(Why do I feel like I'm being set up for something? ;-)

I don't know if you're being set up. :)

Based on your replies so far, how would you answer the OP?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is regeneration dependent upon human will? Must man do something in order for God to regenerate him, or does God regenerate whom He pleases with no regard to what man has done?
I don't think regeneration is dependent upon human will, though human will does play a part. I think it's all God. God issues the Call, and those who accept it are regenerated. Those who deny it are not. The thing is, even our ability to accept the call is given to us by God, so it's a fuzzy line.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't think regeneration is dependent upon human will, though human will does play a part. I think it's all God. God issues the Call, and those who accept it are regenerated. Those who deny it are not. The thing is, even our ability to accept the call is given to us by God, so it's a fuzzy line.

How do you reconcile this with your previous statement?

"I don't think the unregenerate man wants to
change."

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you reconcile this with your previous statement?

change."
I don't see an inconsistency. The unregenerate man does not want to change, but God gives him what is necessary to change (Eph. 2:8-9).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't see an inconsistency. The unregenerate man does not want to change, but God gives him what is necessary to change (Eph. 2:8-9).

change."

Does he want to change before or after regeneration?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
change."

Does he want to change before or after regeneration?
May I ask what your goal is Hammster? This back & forth stuff seems more like an interrogation than a conversation. What are you trying to get at? Maybe we can actually talk about it.

Upvote 0