The basics of Christian salvation

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What in your opinion are the barebone minimum requirements for salvation? I will share mine and open mine for discussion although a vast majority of Christians here are probably going to agree with these 4 "requirements".

1. Belief in Christ's Death, Burial, & Resurrection. This virtually all who carry the label of Christianity will agree on. You cannot be saved without belief in Christ's Burial, Death, and Resurrection because it is written everywhere in the New Testament that this particular belief is required for Salvation and it is the very heart of the Christian Gospel. If you deny Christ's resurrection than you cannot be Christian and cannot be saved.

2. Repentance. Every true follower of God will recognize in their lives that not only have they sinned against God but that they fall SO far short of God's perfect standard that their ONLY hope is the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. One big sign of the believer is not that have repented once but rather that they keep on repenting and they keep on believing to the very end of their lives. EVERY sheep of God will recognize the masters voice and will seek to follow him and his commands which are clearly listed in the Bible. Not out of duty but rather because it is something that every Child of God naturally does as the Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin daily and as we live out the lives that God prepared for us. This also a vast majority of Christians believe across all denominations. This isn't so much a requirement of salvation but rather evidence of Regeneration. No repentance = no regeneration and no regeneration = no salvation.

3. Belief in the Trinity and Christ's divinity. This is also important to salvation because the Apostles died for this very belief despite bring under constant torture. The church as a whole has carried belief in Christ's divinity and every child of God believes in Christ's divinity because not only did Jesus claim to be the very God of the universe, he WAS the God of the universe.

4. Fruit. Jesus said that all of his followers will bear fruit and that those who do not bear fruit will be "thrown into the fire and burned" . If there is a lack of fruit in a professing Christians life than that is evidence that said Christian does not have a relationship with Jesus at all because God has said that all of his sheep will bear fruit. Fruit bearing is a part of sanctification that happens immediately after a child of God has been regenerated and will not show up in a later time. If it shows up at a later time than that merely means that regeneration started after they claimed Christ as savior and not before.

These are the four main required beliefs of Christianity. Without these four beliefs I argue that one cannot be a Christian and one cannot possibly be regenerated. I argue that it's possible for a non child of God to have the first requirement but the last three are what separate a sheep of God from a goat.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Believe in Jesus, believing that Jesus is the resurrection and the life, The Promised Messiah/Son of God (Messiah, Son of God are the same name title of Jesus).

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Most can not see the simple condition God has given to receive His free gift of Eternal Life. That is why many do not find it, because the way is only through belief in Jesus.

Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus made it simple because we are all simpletons and have been backwards thinkers since the Garden
We put our will ahead of God's will, and Jesus said reverse that.
We are self oriented and Jesus said reverse that and look to the needs of others.
God has been telling us that since the beginning and few listen.
He gave us 10 Commandments, Jesus concentrated them all into 2 and yet we still don't get it.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Initially?
Just this:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved
, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

That is it. If you walk into a church or hear a street preacher, having never heard the gospel before, this will save you.
I always look at the practical application of this in the book of Acts:

Acts 10:37-43 KJV
37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Upon hearing these words, the people:
Acts 10:44-47 KJV
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

They took this as a sign from God that the words they heard were believed and were enough to save them. Would any of us deny them baptism?

Acts 11:13-14 KJV
13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

The words spoken by Peter in Acts 10:37-43 are what saved these people. Nothing added, nothing taken away.

Salvation is not a complicated thing. You do not have to be a Bible scholar. Just a handful of words believed is all it takes.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only first step for man is nothing honorable, righteous, worthy or holy it is just wimping out, giving up on self and surrendering to his hated enemy to humbly accept undeserved pure charity. This willingness to humbly accept pure charity from your hated enemy (God) allows God to shower the person with unbelievable wonderful gifts.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0