Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steven,
"Going to church" can cloud your view of everything you see in the Word. I didn't really begin to understand much until I got out of the atmosphere of denominational brainwashing and let the Spirit begin to speak to me directly from the Word. Ah, the Word Himself is Wonderful without the traditions of men hanging all over Him.

Of course it isn't a sin not to "go to church." Do what's written in the Scriptures and you'll do fine. Get together with some Saints and the Holy Spirit wherever that may be and encourage one another to be Holy and worship God in spirit and in Truth. The "go to church" thing can be nothing more than a guilt trip. "Going to church" as is done today is not commanded by anyone in the Bible.

**Amen!**

And as far as the few posts emphasising Hebrews 10:25, thats exactly the verse thats been used by many churches to keep a congregation in line, and a lot is simply so they'll have the income from the members, as well as to feel self important and excercise control over the flock.... In the 80's I remember the "shepherding movement" In fact one group tried to get me under their wing. They said as long as I wasn't under a "covering" of pastors and elders who could guide me correctly in the Word, that I would be oppressed by demons. What they were telling me is little different from what Jehovahs Witnesses say about attending their meetings... :sigh:

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gailmac said:
I know the word says to stay in fellowship (not forsake), but what if you are in between churches. Do you feel it's a sin if you don't go to the building, but continue to fellowship with other believers say on the phone or by computer...or listen to sermons on the radio rather than in person?...thanks!
Well, I have the following thoughts:
  • Jesus did not attend church for at least 40 days when he was alone in the wilderness fasting.
  • Paul says the words "forsake not" not the words "weekly attendance." There is no other comment on church attendance, so is this enough to make a mandatory weekly attendance rule on?
  • What if you are Baptist and living in an Austrian village where the only church in town is Catholic? Would you go?
  • What if you are Orthodox and live in a town like mine, where there is no Orthodox church? Would you go somewhere else?
  • What if you lived in Utah and the only church in your town was Mormon? I wouldn't go.
  • What if you have attended three churches from different denominations the past few years, only to be spiritually and emotionally abused in each one? I have, and I too am taking a break in between.
  • What if you belong to a cell church, where the small home meeting is considered to be more important than the Sunday meeting?
  • What is you haven't forsaken the assembling with a few close Christian friends, but have forsaken the large, Sunday assembling?
That being said, I do believe that gathering together with the specific purpose of spiritual discussion or study, breaking communion bread and drinking a little wine with Christian friends is important. I don't think you need a priest or pastor to break bread and drink communion wine. That is just for control freaks, but I do think asking a special blessing on the elements is important.

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
I didn't go to church for a long time, but I got my christian fellowship from other areas - my small group, a group of friends on the internet - and I didn't feel particularly bad about it, but then I kind of lost track of things, and started drifting away...

I don't think that not going to church is a sin, but you just have to take care...

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
indeep said:
I didn't go to church for a long time, but I got my christian fellowship from other areas - my small group, a group of friends on the internet - and I didn't feel particularly bad about it, but then I kind of lost track of things, and started drifting away...

I don't think that not going to church is a sin, but you just have to take care...
Good point! By the way, what are you angry about? You have the angry icon on your name. Is it the abuse you received in churches that you are angry about? I am.

Upvote 0

gailmac

Sep 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟410.00
Faith
Christian
Rich48 said:
I will not accuse you of backsliding; however, I will tell you that you are missing a lot by not meeting with fellow Christians for worship at least once a week.

As to your last point, can you cite any scripture where GENTILES were told to attend a synagogue to learn about Moses? And if they ever were, the reason would be to learn that the Christ was, indeed, to come from the line of Judah.

Rich
wave.gif
Does fellow worship have to be in a building?

What about crippled people who have to stay at home and worship alone with God, or with friends who visit.

I think we've been brain washed into what worship really is. IMO

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gailmac said:

What about crippled people who have to stay at home and worship alone with God, or with friends who visit.

Excellent point. Worship is the English word we translate from words meaning to bow down, to adore, to kiss the hand of, etc. We can do that at home alone. I hope every Christian prays and worships in private. As for fellowship, the early church had no buildings for at least 300 years, because they were persecuted by Rome. So, early Christians gathered in what we call today, house churches, small groups or cells. It is not wrong to gather in larger groups. After all, the early church did that as well, just not as often. We tend to idolize our buildings, our liturgies and our denominations, when neither of those things is as important as a correct understanding of the way of salvation, our personal spiritual lives and some kind of fellowship.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
gailmac said:
I know the word says to stay in fellowship (not forsake), but what if you are in between churches. Do you feel it's a sin if you don't go to the building, but continue to fellowship with other believers say on the phone or by computer...or listen to sermons on the radio rather than in person?

I would love to hear from you all on this matter...thanks!
Yes, I think that it is sin.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I have problems nearly every Sunday a.m. getting the motivation to attend church. And I'm in a church I love. I would suggest that it might be the enemy discouraging you from attending! Once I get there, participate in corporate worship and learn through the message, I'm soooooo glad that I made the effort. So, even if you are between churches, try out a new church every Sunday. Just don't stop going. Maybe some are called to be without church, but I don't believe that most of us are. JMHO.

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gailmac,

Absolutely. Some of the best inspiration I've received is outside or in the woods. Jesus did most of his ministry outside: on hills, in boats, just walking around the country.

Well according to some churches the crippled people stay home and don't go to church because they don't have the faith to be healed! I was once in a church like that :sigh: I left and shook the dust off my feet...

Yes, we've been brainwashed alright.... but I'd rather call it conditioning. We've been conditioned. The Spirit will wash the brain and I think we need our brains cleansed from the dirt that modern religion has put there ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gailmac

Sep 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟410.00
Faith
Christian
Starcrystal said:
**Amen!**

And as far as the few posts emphasising Hebrews 10:25, thats exactly the verse thats been used by many churches to keep a congregation in line, and a lot is simply so they'll have the income from the members, as well as to feel self important and excercise control over the flock.... In the 80's I remember the "shepherding movement" In fact one group tried to get me under their wing. They said as long as I wasn't under a "covering" of pastors and elders who could guide me correctly in the Word, that I would be oppressed by demons. What they were telling me is little different from what Jehovahs Witnesses say about attending their meetings... :sigh:
Yes, I remember that movement as well:scratch: :help:

Upvote 0

gailmac

Sep 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟410.00
Faith
Christian
Koey said:
Well, I have the following thoughts:
  • Jesus did not attend church for at least 40 days when he was alone in the wilderness fasting.
  • Paul says the words "forsake not" not the words "weekly attendance." There is no other comment on church attendance, so is this enough to make a mandatory weekly attendance rule on?
  • What if you are Baptist and living in an Austrian village where the only church in town is Catholic? Would you go?
  • What if you are Orthodox and live in a town like mine, where there is no Orthodox church? Would you go somewhere else?
  • What if you lived in Utah and the only church in your town was Mormon? I wouldn't go.
  • What if you have attended three churches from different denominations the past few years, only to be spiritually and emotionally abused in each one? I have, and I too am taking a break in between.
  • What if you belong to a cell church, where the small home meeting is considered to be more important than the Sunday meeting?
  • What is you haven't forsaken the assembling with a few close Christian friends, but have forsaken the large, Sunday assembling?
That being said, I do believe that gathering together with the specific purpose of spiritual discussion or study, breaking communion bread and drinking a little wine with Christian friends is important. I don't think you need a priest or pastor to break bread and drink communion wine. That is just for control freaks, but I do think asking a special blessing on the elements is important.
Great point about Jesus in the wilderness for 40 days...never thought of it like that. Thanks for that insight. I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

susan johnson

Jul 5, 2005
adelaide
✟1,496.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi gailmac I don't know whether it is a sin to not go to church on sunday for me I can think of nothing more exciting than going to church and spending time in the presence of god and in the fellowship of my brothers and sisters in christ. I spend over an hour traveling to church and the same on the return journey and I don't mind because it is to spend time praiseing the lord and sitting under the teaching of our lord and saviour. but that is for you to seek out what the lord is telling you to do but don't discount the great blessings that god has when we gather togeather in corporate prayer.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
I think the question shouldn't be whether or not it is a sin but whether or not it is good for you.

For example, it's not a sin to go without sleep, but if you do it long enough your body just doesn't have what it needs to function properly.

Same with church. There is someting about the comeing together of believers for corporate worship that you just can't get anywhere else.

Pax Christi!

Good answer!
Jan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My parents stopped attending church when I was young, and I have not resumed attending because of the public nature of church service. Given just how truly introverted I am, I prefer worship in private. Am I going to hell because of it? I doubt it.

Upvote 0

just_dance

Nothing But The Blood
Jul 26, 2004
✟1,461.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well my brother is Petrarch except my views are a bit different.........

Well..................

Ok the churchs here alot of them are wierd

One I went to said in a prayer

"Dear Lord, Help use defeat the evils of society since EVERYTHING outside the church is evil.":cry:

Another one had the view of that if you got sick it was because of something you did ether not praying enough of sopmething else like you sinned.

Also one was for example when they were renovating on a sign it said "God is building his church." the church isn't the building. It is the people inside the church the congregation of belivers.:doh:

Finially the last one they started messing around with exorcisms!!!!:help: They don't even know how to do that properly and there can be cerious consiquenses. Like in the chaptor of Acts where some guys got there cloths ripped off and himiliated.

I don't think judging by these experences that anyone can blame my for not wanting to go to church. It is sad and sick:sick: how corupt the some churchs have become.:mad:

Upvote 0

epyon

May 12, 2006
Miami, Fl
✟15,321.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know the word says to stay in fellowship (not forsake), but what if you are in between churches. Do you feel it's a sin if you don't go to the building, but continue to fellowship with other believers say on the phone or by computer...or listen to sermons on the radio rather than in person?

I would love to hear from you all on this matter...thanks!
No it is not a sin.

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are quite right. Paul's comment about those who forsake the assembling together is not a command, nor does he even mention that Sunday meetings are a command. Christians assemble in all kinds of manners including Sunday. However, it is assumed that Christians will engage in certain activities which involve other Christians. We are told that our priority in charitable giving would be with the household of God. We are told to do good works for all men, but first of all among the people of God. If we are a lone Christian, this is difficult to do.

I am totally unimpressed with church and churches. However, I attend church most weeks because I want to see what God is doing among those faulty humans that he loves so much and died for. I want to be where God is focusing a special ministry of his on a Sunday morning.

Instead of looking at the human beings with their religious ego trips and power plays, I try to focus on what God is doing. Focusing on people or even their human denominations, or in the case of CoC their silly redefinition denying that they even are a denomination, will always disappoint. Focusing on God is the only thing that satisfies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.