The moon
✟9,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know the word says to stay in fellowship (not forsake), but what if you are in between churches. Do you feel it's a sin if you don't go to the building, but continue to fellowship with other believers say on the phone or by computer...or listen to sermons on the radio rather than in person?

I would love to hear from you all on this matter...thanks!

Going to church on Sunday dosen't make you a Christian anymore than sleeping your garage makes you a car. Do not get hung up on the building.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course its not a sin. If you are going to Church (bricks and mortar) simply because you think you have to, then you are going for the wrong reason. Besides which, when all these much quoted cut and pasted passages were written, a church was simply two or more gathered. Christians invariably gather or meet in some form or another be it work or play every day and in so doing have ample opportunity to encourage and strengthen each other.
My allegience is to God and my encouragement and strengthening of resolve comes from gathering with other Christians wherever we may be. You don't need a building to do this.
God is not found in church. He is found in our lives.

Generally speaking, the Greek word for church (ekklesia) referred to those who were called out (of sin) to follow the Lord. Assembling with fellow-Christians is a direct statement or command, as are many things e.g. 1 Cor. 16:22. You are correct ... doing things simply because you have to and the associated grumbling that goes with that attitude isn't the same as obeying God with a sincere desire to please Him.

As for your reference to cutting and pasting Scripture, would you be specific as to which passages you have in mind. I suspect you are alluding to Hebrews 10:23-31 that I posted. If so, then please explain to us what that text is saying. Obviously, God has a certain type of assembly in mind that we should be interested in attending to encourage others to have love and good works. And, it is an assembly that the Lord takes personal if we could have been there and simply chose to sin willfully by not attending. If not the assembly of the church, then please explain to us what assembly is being discussed in the text. :help:

BTW, please look really close at the passages under consideration in Hebrews 10. Is a building mentioned? Nope. The assembly is mentioned, not the building. Therefore, the emphasis is on being at the assembling of the church (the called out of God), not being in a particular building per se. Why did they assemble? I believe they assembled to worship God i.e. Acts 20:7. Perhaps you can share with us why you think that assembling to "play" has the same significance as coming together to worship Him.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "God is not found in church." Are you saying that God isn't there if we assemble together to worship Him? Or, that God isn't there if we assemble in a building? Please explain.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Going to church on Sunday dosen't make you a Christian anymore than sleeping your garage makes you a car. Do not get hung up on the building.

Actually, other things are commanded to those who desire to become Christians e.g. Acts 2:38. Once they become Christians, they are expected to assemble with other Christians to worship God together i.e. Acts 20:7, Hebrews 10:25.

Agreed. We shouldn't get hung up on the building. However, we also shouldn't overlook the significance of the assembling of the church. For sure, the Lord won't (Hebrews 10:26-31). :eek:

Reactions: Nadiine
Upvote 0

ArtisticMom2005

Jan 17, 2007
✟301.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I acutally was raised in the same church since I was six weeks old. Yet upon entering my 18th year there were some problems that arose within the church and I found myself asking why I was really there. I found that my answer was I was attending that church because it was familiar to me, because I was close with the people, and because my parents attended there. However, I didn't feel that I was getting as much out of the service as I possibly could. I started attending other types of services...more contemporary than I was used to just to see what was out there. When my husband and I got married he was also in between churches. His parents had just recently divorced. His mother moved out of state and his father left their old church and moved onto a new one. For awhile we attended his father's new home church and really felt that it fit our worship style well. We went there off and on for about the first year of our marriage. Due to some problems we had with my father-in-law I no longer felt comfortable attending the same church. We once again started attending my home church with my parents. While the style of worship was more traditional and did not fit us as well we were still able to learn from the sermon and fellowship with other Christians. I am 13 weeks pregnant and have struggled attending church the past couple months due to my morning sickness. However, I felt God finally telling me to move on to a home church that would just be our own away from our parents and close to home. One that would fit our own worship style but not pose problems by sharing in a congregation with family members we don't get a long with. God blessed us and we started attending a comtemporary church that is literally less than a block away from our house. :groupray:

To make a long story short, I think that it is change is healthy and that every Christian should explore other methods of worship to see what best fits them. I grew up kind of sheltered thinking there was only one way to worship. But once I saw what was out there I believe I was able to grow closer to God. I was a "floater" and didn't really settle into a home church for awhile and there were many Sundays I stayed home to just get away from all the stress of church. I don't think that in anyway it pulled me farther away from God or that it was a sin. However we must remember to keep God's day holy. While I don't believe it to be a sin not to attend church I do believe it is much more difficult to stay on track without constant support around you. Just be aware and on alert so that you are not pulled astray while not in church. Hopefully you will be able to find a home church that will fit you and your needs. I find it to be a true blessing to attend church and look forward to it each week. It's my fuel. :)

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are correct ... doing things simply because you have to and the associated grumbling that goes with that attitude isn't the same as obeying God with a sincere desire to please Him.
I always say, if you disdain church & rebel against God's ordination of it for His people (& God obviously has a reason for it), then by all means, please don't go to church at all.
Just like the person that isn't cheerfully giving their offerings to God, He doesn't want your money either.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's right ... they want you to join them . That means that they want you to forsake the assembling with other believers . They want you to isolate yourself to only hear what they have to say and do things that they want to do *when* they want to do them .

Of course they want you to join them and *say* that it is important to have a "spiritual family" . What they really want is you to pay for their clubhouse and the salary of the club's long-winded Grand Poobah .

Remember , "going to church" is the only means of salvation . Stop going and you are damned . ;)

Who's "THEY"? ALL churches? And again, more scathing attacks against Christians.

You may want to take a peek at the entire NT who met corporately as the Example for all us believers to follow.

NOONE said going to church brings salvation - show me the post that said salvation comes by church attendance. No one I've ever heard makes such false claims!
GOD ORDAINED IT. If you refuse to go, then by all means, please don't! I just don't appreciate these scathing attacks against ALL Christians who value & promote a clear example from our bible w/ these generic accusations against us as if EVERYONE is guilty.

Is this tolerance? :confused:

From some of the posts I've read on church attendance (incl. from other threads), I'm actually glad some don't go- for other's sakes.
:groupray: :sigh:

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always say, if you disdain church & rebel against God's ordination of it for His people (& God obviously has a reason for it), then by all means, please don't go to church at all.
Just like the person that isn't cheerfully giving their offerings to God, He doesn't want your money either.

Agreed. The problem is that folks are rebelling against God's will on one hand, and with the other hand are proclaiming to be walking hand in hand with God. Bluntly stated, they are letting their own feelings have precedence over God's word (which reveal to us His feelings).

Point well taken ... "So let each one give as he purposed in His heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Cor. 9:7 - NKJV). The principle is the same for attending worship services. Go because its the right thing to do ... it is God's will ... not because He makes you.

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I'm going to try to give my opinion, without rambling too much!! :)
First, to answer the question, no, I don't believe not going to church is a sin. However, it may depend on your reason for not going to church.
I do attend church regularly and believe that it is usually best for a Christian to be part of a local church.
To address a couple of the things brought up in this thread...
As for the comment about being at service every chance we get. Is that just Sunday service? Is that every service, every class and event that is offered throughout the week? Yes, God is there for me anytime I need Him, but why does that mean I have to be at church everytime the doors are open? Having a relationship with God does not mean we have to be at a church building everytime there is a service or something is going on. Sometimes we get so busy going to church and doing things at church, that we never have time to just be with God. And, if we are always busy at church, when do we get out in the world to reach out to those who don't know Christ?
Nadiine brought up a question about why we wouldn't want to be where God is? While I understand what she is asking, the simple fact is, God is not found only in a church building--we are now the sanctuary. If a family decides to have church at home together, is God not there? Is God not with us at all times?
I'm not saying, 'don't go to church'. I myself attend church regularly (every week), and am involved in ministries in it. But I am also not going to say someone is not a 'good' Christian or a strong Christian or going against God if they are not attending an organized church on Sunday morning.
We have to realize we are all different and we all have different lifestyles. Many people aren't able to attend church services because of work schedules....so they get their fellowship in other ways. Others aren't able to get out and go to a church (homebound).
Others, for what ever reason, just choose to not be a part of an organized church. Many people have been extremely hurt by churches. Many get sick of the 'politics' of church. Many get tired of being expected to do this or do that in church all the time.
Our church has been through a really tough time the past few years, and especially the past year/year & a half. We've had many people leave over the past few months. Myself, I'm our church secretary and I'm here 40 hours a week. I probably see and hear things that the average church goer doesn't. At times, it can be really discouraging and disheartening. And at times, it affects my attitude on Sunday mornings and my desire to come to church. Yes, I know that church is about God and not us. But, we still have to deal with all the other stuff when we come to church, and at times that can hinder our worship.
I also do not agree with new wineskins generalization that all churches just want your money and to be part of their 'club'. I'm sure there are some churches like that, but not all are. I believe there are many churches that do exactly what God would have them do.
However, I also don't agree with the generalization that just because someone may not be part of a local church, or ever attend church, that means they are going against God or don't have a good relationship with God. We don't know that persons heart, we don't know how God is working in their life. How do we know that God didn't call them out of the church? How do we know that He doesn't have some other plan for their life. God may have something different for them to do that doesn't involved the traditional church setting.
It basically comes down to, only God truly knows our hearts. If we aren't going to church, He knows why better than anyone else, including ourselves. If He wants that person in a church, and they are truly listening to Him, then they will be convicted.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by gailmac
Why does it take a church building and a pastor to put a smile on someones face? I am a nurse. I going into homes all day and help people. I put smiles on their face, but I didn't have to be at church.]
GOD ordained church gathering for a reason. If it weren't necessary or important, then He wouldn't have had it carried from the OT into the NT & c ontinue.

I'm interested in your personal reasoning for not needing church: "i put smiles on others faces & don't have to be in church'. CHURCH IS FOR GOD, AND WORSHIP TO HIM.
It is a day to HONOR HIM and rest.

I keep seeing this mindset that it's about US. It is about GOD, not US (even tho it is 'for' us in many ways). It is healthy to be plugged into a network of other believers in a physical place.
This was the NT example for us to follow.

We're called to set a day aside to honor, worship, fellowship, pray and take communion together AS A BODY OF BELIEVERS - receive teaching, share burdens, etc.
This is to God and for us -both.
The point isn't that you can't do it elsewhere, it's that one HOUR of one week is given solely to Him and our spiritual growth/edification.

Is one hour a week just TOO much to spare?

Church assembly builds a NETWORK that we link into for our base; our family.

I'm really amazed at the apathetic viewpoints of how unimportant 'church' is!
As if it's a pointless man made burden that we just don't need today.
:swoon: :cry: :eek: :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdfiddler

Nov 24, 2006
In it but not full of it.
✟7,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Attending church service is another form of expression and comfirmation of the unity(or oneness) we all share in being children of God (at least it should be) and a means of support for those who wish to.

Not walking by faith is a sin!

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I'm going to try to give my opinion, without rambling too much!! :)
First, to answer the question, no, I don't believe not going to church is a sin. However, it may depend on your reason for not going to church.
I do attend church regularly and believe that it is usually best for a Christian to be part of a local church.
To address a couple of the things brought up in this thread...
As for the comment about being at service every chance we get. Is that just Sunday service? Is that every service, every class and event that is offered throughout the week? Yes, God is there for me anytime I need Him, but why does that mean I have to be at church everytime the doors are open? Having a relationship with God does not mean we have to be at a church building everytime there is a service or something is going on. Sometimes we get so busy going to church and doing things at church, that we never have time to just be with God. And, if we are always busy at church, when do we get out in the world to reach out to those who don't know Christ?
Nadiine brought up a question about why we wouldn't want to be where God is? While I understand what she is asking, the simple fact is, God is not found only in a church building--we are now the sanctuary. If a family decides to have church at home together, is God not there? Is God not with us at all times?
I'm not saying, 'don't go to church'. I myself attend church regularly (every week), and am involved in ministries in it. But I am also not going to say someone is not a 'good' Christian or a strong Christian or going against God if they are not attending an organized church on Sunday morning.
We have to realize we are all different and we all have different lifestyles. Many people aren't able to attend church services because of work schedules....so they get their fellowship in other ways. Others aren't able to get out and go to a church (homebound).
Others, for what ever reason, just choose to not be a part of an organized church. Many people have been extremely hurt by churches. Many get sick of the 'politics' of church. Many get tired of being expected to do this or do that in church all the time.
Our church has been through a really tough time the past few years, and especially the past year/year & a half. We've had many people leave over the past few months. Myself, I'm our church secretary and I'm here 40 hours a week. I probably see and hear things that the average church goer doesn't. At times, it can be really discouraging and disheartening. And at times, it affects my attitude on Sunday mornings and my desire to come to church. Yes, I know that church is about God and not us. But, we still have to deal with all the other stuff when we come to church, and at times that can hinder our worship.
I also do not agree with new wineskins generalization that all churches just want your money and to be part of their 'club'. I'm sure there are some churches like that, but not all are. I believe there are many churches that do exactly what God would have them do.
However, I also don't agree with the generalization that just because someone may not be part of a local church, or ever attend church, that means they are going against God or don't have a good relationship with God. We don't know that persons heart, we don't know how God is working in their life. How do we know that God didn't call them out of the church? How do we know that He doesn't have some other plan for their life. God may have something different for them to do that doesn't involved the traditional church setting.
It basically comes down to, only God truly knows our hearts. If we aren't going to church, He knows why better than anyone else, including ourselves. If He wants that person in a church, and they are truly listening to Him, then they will be convicted.

The last two sentences of your post are too good to overlook. I believe you have made a valid point about God convicting the person that He wants to be in worship services. How He does that is the issue for us to consider. I believe He does that very thing in Hebrews 10:23-31. That's why I posted the passages. He convicts us of sin through His word, which is sharper than a two-edged sword i.e. Hebrews 4:12, Acts 2:37.

Does God expect those sick and/or homebound to be at worship services when they physically can't be? Here's the way I think of it. Will God save someone who is mute and cannot confess Jesus as Lord i.e. Matthew 10:32-33, Romans 10:9-10? If we decide He doesn't or won't expect more from a person than they can give, does that mean that others who have the power to speak are also excluded? Think about it. No one has said you absolutely have to be at every single worship service per se. I believe there are legitimate reasons for not being at services. However, whatever I believe and understand still doesn't allow me to undermine nor downplay the signficance of that text in Hebrews 10. Generally speaking, I don't know that God is going to be nearly as forgiving as many want Him to be on this issue.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm interested in your personal reasoning for not needing church: "i put smiles on others faces & don't have to be in church'. CHURCH IS FOR GOD, AND WORSHIP TO HIM.
It is a day to HONOR HIM and rest.
Doing good for others honours God more than anything. It may be all about God, as you say, but God is all about... us :)

We're called to set a day aside to honor, worship, fellowship, pray and take communion together AS A BODY OF BELIEVERS - receive teaching, share burdens, etc.
This is to God and for us -both.
The point isn't that you can't do it elsewhere, it's that one HOUR of one week is given solely to Him and our spiritual growth/edification.

Is one hour a week just TOO much to spare?

Church assembly builds a NETWORK that we link into for our base; our family.

I'm really amazed at the apathetic viewpoints of how unimportant 'church' is!
As if it's a pointless man made burden that we just don't need today.
:swoon: :cry: :eek: :sigh:
You don't need to go to a specific building on a specific day to meet specific people in order to have fellowship, edification, honour God and so forth. It's more of a problem that people tie their faith and everything that goes along with it, to certain buildings and times and organizations. Life with God is every day, it's alive, it's pulsating, it's not about attending a religious club. Clubs are good, but they're not life.

I talked with a hobo the other day, bought him cigarettes, we talked about God and church. He said "church is fine cool, but... I know this church (one of the largest in town) has so and so many thousand members. Well, I never see them. They go to church, I sit on the curb drinking. What use is church?"

He has a point, doesn't he? And I, simply by chatting with him, sharing our common faith in Christ, encouraging him, served and honoured God more than a thousand church services.

There are believers everywhere, and instead of treating them like the family they are, we let them sit out in the cold while making sure we "serve God" and "honour him" by going to church once a week. I find it sickening.

Upvote 0

Grateful4God

Aug 3, 2006
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
✟8,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When ever I hear this question I laugh to myself. No going to Church is not a sin.

Yet, do you hesititate to go to events and mingle with ungodly people? Do you hesitate to sit in front of a television and watch the filth that is put before us? Do you hesitate to spend hours combing the internet for entertainemnt?

At anypoint, if Jesus was to look over your life. Would he see you showing passion for anything in your life more than you have ever showed him in your life. For example, would he see you cheering for your favorite sports team or musical artist with more heart than you have ever praised him with?

For me, I go to my Church 2 sometimes 3 times a week. Not because it makes me more godly, but because it helps me in my walk with Jesus. I gain insight from more experienced Christians. It helps me with my studies of the word. I love being with other people who live to praise Jesus. I love the feeling of enlightment I get after basking in the spirit as a group. Many of my old friends are not Christian. So I do not participate in many of their activities because I feel in my heart it does not please God,. Yet, being around my Church body has helped me make friends with so many others who love Jesus as much as I do.

For new Christians also, you need to replace your old ways. Alot of people, after find The Lord, decide to just stop their old ways. Instead of going out of Friday nights to the clubs, they sit home and be bored. I beleive you must replace that behavior with new behavior. A church helps find people to start that with. Alot of people give their hearts to The Lord, then fall backwards. Because they just got bored and started to miss their old life.

Another good thing about Chrurch. We all go through times of trouble and trials. We all have test of faith. Some times they come at you so hard it is hard to even find the strength to pray to him. When you are involved in a Chruch body, and have people around you who can pick you up, and pray with and for you, it can really help. That why I love my Church so much.

When people have such questions, I like to tell them to read Corithians and Ephesians. They both alot about the role of the Church, why it is good for us to be part of one and it backs up alot of my claims about replacing old with new.

There is always a "Therefore"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleladyinChrist

Dec 26, 2006
✟16,041.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
:amen:

This last post is a good one, and fully explains the idea of having a new testament church. May God give us all hearts to want to fellowship with the Body, and grow and encourage each other in our walks. God said that he would found His Church on a rock, and the gates of Hell would not prevail against it! It would be a serious offence to undermind the Lord's Bride and I'm sorry that I've spoken against Christians :sorry: in the past. This is what the enemy wants.

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doing good for others honours God more than anything. It may be all about God, as you say, but God is all about... us :)

You don't need to go to a specific building on a specific day to meet specific people in order to have fellowship, edification, honour God and so forth. It's more of a problem that people tie their faith and everything that goes along with it, to certain buildings and times and organizations. Life with God is every day, it's alive, it's pulsating, it's not about attending a religious club. Clubs are good, but they're not life.

I talked with a hobo the other day, bought him cigarettes, we talked about God and church. He said "church is fine cool, but... I know this church (one of the largest in town) has so and so many thousand members. Well, I never see them. They go to church, I sit on the curb drinking. What use is church?"

He has a point, doesn't he? And I, simply by chatting with him, sharing our common faith in Christ, encouraging him, served and honoured God more than a thousand church services.

There are believers everywhere, and instead of treating them like the family they are, we let them sit out in the cold while making sure we "serve God" and "honour him" by going to church once a week. I find it sickening.

Have you read the book The Gutter by Craig Gross (co-founder of XXXchurch.com). I just finished it...very convicting!!! Makes me look at those homeless people and others 'in the gutter' a lot differently!! It's making me think about finding out where the gutters are around where I live!

Reactions: holo
Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Both excellent comments! I remember that Jesus spoke to a Samaritan woman and said to her that the place where we worship is not important, only worshiping in spirit and truth is. I wonder why churches got so focused on a day and a building and a human organization. I just read George Barna's book Revolution. He reckons that in 20 years church will look a whole lot different.

Upvote 0

pdfiddler

Nov 24, 2006
In it but not full of it.
✟7,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMO, there is no substitute for a eye to eye, face to face ministry. Phone conversation can be a affective tool. The internet(Christian related forums) can be fun, but very one dimensional. I think that was the purpose for Paul's rotation through the churches,to keep it on a personal spiritual basis.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Both excellent comments! I remember that Jesus spoke to a Samaritan woman and said to her that the place where we worship is not important, only worshiping in spirit and truth is. I wonder why churches got so focused on a day and a building and a human organization. I just read George Barna's book Revolution. He reckons that in 20 years church will look a whole lot different.

Well , after the last *1700* years ... it would be about time . :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.