Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As for me I'd say that's a mater of one's own personal conviction. I see nothing wrong with it, if you're saying clean secular music. It would be like asking an artist doing paintings....should every art work just be paintings of Christ or Bible things? Why couldn't an artist do paintings of scenery which are lovely and still be a Christian? Johnny Cash was asked this once and he said I'm not a Christian musician I'm rather a musician who is a Christian.

He did do a gospel album when produces didn't want him to but he said forget it I'm doing it. Again what's the personal conviction of the one making the decision. If they feel somehow all their talent should just go for God Christian themes I'd say for them to just follow their conscience. If they feel somehow bad about it don't bother. Just stay then with the spiritual themes.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Define secular. God created the inhabited world. If you write a song about a summer day, is this secular? Or are you glorifying God by appreciating his handiwork in making each flower and season and rejoicing in life? Not every song has to say God or Christ did this or that.

Celine Dion is not a Christian singer by genre, but she has mentioned His name in her songs like I'm Alive. Avril Lavigne is not Christian by genre but wrote Head Above Water. Johnny Cash was a good example of a Christian but not by genre, and he wrote Fourth Man in the Fire and Going by the Book and God's Gonna Cut You Down.

Proverbs 8:31 I was rejoicing in His whole world, delighting together in the sons of men.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a Christian musician makes clean secular music that doesn’t contradict God’s word & if they make Christian music too are they wrong for that ? Should they only make Christian music ?

Nah.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,350.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If a Christian musician makes clean secular music that doesn’t contradict God’s word & if they make Christian music too are they wrong for that ? Should they only make Christian music ?
No. There is nothing wrong with clean secular music. If its clean, its Christian, anyway. Everything that is good, moral, encouraging... is from God.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Everything that is good, moral, encouraging... is from God.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

I also wanted to add, that each Christian song of praise should be genuine. Sometimes it seem as though Christian music can make the glory of Christ trite. Anything that glorifies or praises God should come genuinely from your soul; if you do not have the words or the feelings to express it, then are you risking taking God's name in vain by forcing a song?

Let your artistic skill move you to what you want to express; do not force an expression out of a feeling of obligation that everything has to mention God. God is in everything anyway; He created all things. Narrowing your focus on, say, only writing hymn-like music can take away from meditating on the smallest of some of God's creations. And then you might lose sight of God and how powerful he truly is.

Country songs will go through a long list of all they lost; you could make counter-country music, counting your blessings on all the good things that have happened. God tells us to offer the Sacrifice of Thanksgiving. Writing a song about gratitude, even without God's name mentioned, can still be wholesome and good.

Ecclesiastes 5:2 Do not be rash with your mouth, And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth; Therefore let your words be few.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Music is music.

The idea of "secular music" is a very modern concept.

How would you classify, say, Bach?

While the writing of hymns is certainly good. And there can be good "Christian music", aka Christian lyrics expressed through popular music genres. There is nothing wrong with the act of making music in and of itself--which is celebrated in Scripture.

Tolkien wasn't a Christian writer because he wrote Christian allegories (Tolkien despised allegory) but because Tolkien understood his story-craft as an act of worship.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0