Is it sinful to use a computer/phone which has played sinful music, has viewed sinful content, etc?

Sofiahh

Aug 19, 2022
San Antonio
✟20,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I neeeeed help!! I can't seem to use a computer which I know has played sinful music, has had sinful content shown on it even accidentally. My conscience is still weak and I'm having such a hard time finding Bible verses to make my conscience stronger.. I know we are in the world and are supposed not to be part of it, and therefore should be a light for others such as those on the internet to teach them Truth. I know the computer is a tool which can be used for good and bad, but I don't want to use an object which may have been affected because of the sinful content it has appeared on it...unless it is The Bible which offers correction on such topics. I don't want to think I'm being an accomplice for using a tool which already has possibly had content show up that was offensive to God. This also applies to real life ... Can a place where there was possibly blasphemic music towards God like a market be a place for a Christian not to CONSUME from, make business with etc? or a clothing store etc? One thing is to consume from a market where meat was offered to idols who are not even real, but I feel like it's a totally different topic to go to a market where the ambiance is putting music with possibly blasphemic lyrics... is the place a safe place to go/is it affected even after it no longer plays such music? I would love some Biblical verses to understand these topics happening around my weak conscience... I can't even use a computer to do my work, use my phone to text back somebody or go to a market/store where, unless I'm unaware of what happened before. That why now I'm at a paper shop typing on a computer... Please help me with Biblical knowledge on these topics...My family doesn't even want to help.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As long as you format said computer or don't spend time yourself using or looking at these sinful things than I don't see the problem. The problem with sin is you doing said sin personally that is when it offends God. Just owning a computer that has sinful material on it doesn't mean you've sinned.

But if you think the material on your computer is tempting and will cause you to sin than, I would format your hard drive and have a spouse or trusted family member block the sites that you dont want to visit. But there is even sinful material contained in simple Google searches these days so... my advice might not work.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi! I neeeeed help!! I can't seem to use a computer which I know has played sinful music, has had sinful content shown on it even accidentally. My conscience is still weak and I'm having such a hard time finding Bible verses to make my conscience stronger.. I know we are in the world and are supposed not to be part of it, and therefore should be a light for others such as those on the internet to teach them Truth. I know the computer is a tool which can be used for good and bad, but I don't want to use an object which may have been affected because of the sinful content it has appeared on it...unless it is The Bible which offers correction on such topics. I don't want to think I'm being an accomplice for using a tool which already has possibly had content show up that was offensive to God. This also applies to real life ... Can a place where there was possibly blasphemic music towards God like a market be a place for a Christian not to CONSUME from, make business with etc? or a clothing store etc? One thing is to consume from a market where meat was offered to idols who are not even real, but I feel like it's a totally different topic to go to a market where the ambiance is putting music with possibly blasphemic lyrics... is the place a safe place to go/is it affected even after it no longer plays such music? I would love some Biblical verses to understand these topics happening around my weak conscience... I can't even use a computer to do my work, use my phone to text back somebody or go to a market/store where, unless I'm unaware of what happened before. That why now I'm at a paper shop typing on a computer... Please help me with Biblical knowledge on these topics...My family doesn't even want to help.
We are exposed to sin every day in many ways. It's a matter if we actively and knowingly partake in sin by choice. Material things don't commit sin .... people do. If there is "sinful" content on your devices that you are aware of get rid of them ... how they might have been used in the past don't matter .... it's how YOU use them that matters.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a rather adroit update of the situation Paul spoke about with meat that had been sacrificed to idols.

The computer has not been "affected" by the sinful content that has appeared on it. Sin is a moral issue, and dead objects do not have morality.

If you participate in sinful activity on the computer, then you are affected by your sinful actions, but the computer is not affected.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't want to use an object which may have been affected because of the sinful content it has appeared on it
The computer isn't affected unless it contracted malware.
I don't want to think I'm being an accomplice for using a tool which already has possibly had content show up that was offensive to God.
That's not what being an accomplice is. An accomplice aids or abets a sinful act. You're describing a situation where the sinful act was already done.
This also applies to real life ... Can a place where there was possibly blasphemic music towards God like a market be a place for a Christian not to CONSUME from, make business with etc? or a clothing store etc? One thing is to consume from a market where meat was offered to idols who are not even real, but I feel like it's a totally different topic to go to a market where the ambiance is putting music with possibly blasphemic lyrics... is the place a safe place to go/is it affected even after it no longer plays such music?
I don't know how this is even sustainable. You can't control what other people do or have done. The fact that bad music might have been played there once doesn't make it a bad place. Consider all the terrible things that had been said at the Areopagus in Greece, all the false gods that had been acknowledged and praised there over thousands of years - and Paul chose to preach there in Acts 17:16-34.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

FameBright

Jan 20, 2021
Biloxi
✟22,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." (Proverbs 4:23).

I've had to cut just about everything I watch on T.V. It's been tough but I find it getting easier and easier.

Some things that you can't control like the music in the marketplace, but you may find that the closer you get with God the more you are repulsed by it.

"Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." (James 1:15)

Entertainment can be snares of Satan. Even just a little bit of sin can breed more sin.

I'm not saying you should trash your laptop though.

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heard and my portion forever." (Psalms 73:26)

This tells me that God understands the flesh is weak.

"When I kept silent, my bones grow old. Through my groaning all the day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me." (Psalms 32:1-11)

It helps me to tell God my thoughts at the end of the day.

"Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe." (Proverbs 28:26)

Again, the human heart is prone to sin. Seeking the word of God everyday is the real answer.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I neeeeed help!! I can't seem to use a computer which I know has played sinful music,
I don't believe any music is sinful.
The words may be dodgy/unpleasant, but it seems you didn't write them.

has had sinful content shown on it even accidentally.
A computer is a thing.
It cannot be contaminated by "sinful content" nor can you be defiled because if it. Just as if you went to a charity shop and bought a jacket that had been worn to commit a crime, you would not a sinner.

I know the computer is a tool which can be used for good and bad, but I don't want to use an object which may have been affected because of the sinful content it has appeared on it..
It can't be affected.
The only people who can be affected by "sinful content" on a computer are those who put it there, or those who watch it.
Although news items could come into that category - reports of war, abuse, telling lies etc. Where would you draw the line?

..unless it is The Bible which offers correction on such topics.
Yes, but the Bible includes sinful behaviour - murder, rape, war, attacking others etc. Are you going to stop reading it?

I don't want to think I'm being an accomplice for using a tool which already has possibly had content show up that was offensive to God.
You won't be.
This also applies to real life ... Can a place where there was possibly blasphemic music towards God like a market be a place for a Christian not to CONSUME from, make business with etc? or a clothing store etc?
No.
Sorry, but if you are saying that you are not going to buy from a shop which once played/sold, blasphemous songs; never go to restaurants because cult members/ devil worshippers may have gone there, or buy a car because it may have been used in a crime - either you will never do/buy/eat anything, or you will go mad trying to check the history of every place that you come into contact with.

One thing is to consume from a market where meat was offered to idols who are not even real,
But to people who worshipped those gods the idols were real.
And Paul said that it's ok to eat meat that may have been offered to those idols.

but I feel like it's a totally different topic to go to a market where the ambiance is putting music with possibly blasphemic lyrics... is the place a safe place to go/is it affected even after it no longer plays such music?
Unless it is playing songs with blasphemous lyrics ALL the time, and unless you are spending hours in that place, listening to the lyrics and starting to believe them, it's not an issue.

I can't even use a computer to do my work, use my phone to text back somebody or go to a market/store where, unless I'm unaware of what happened before.
It sounds like you have a problem with anxiety.
Computers/phones are a tool. We can use them for good; to phone people, cheer them up, cause them to feel less lonely, tell them you love them. Or we can use them for ill; to indulge in unkind gossip, tell lies or plan a crime.
Even if you used your phone to do one of the latter and then sold it the next day, whoever bought it would not be "contaminated" by your sin. (Unless you had left a load of details on there etc.)
If you bought a house and later discovered that, years before, someone who hated and blasphemed God had lived there - that would not lead to you being punished.
If you believe it would, and cannot shake that feeling; simply pray and dedicate all new things - phones, computers, cars etc etc - to God. Jesus told us to pray "deliver us from evil".

Moses' staff was once turned into a snake, and was also used to perform many miracles. It had not been contaminated by having been a snake.
Jesus used Peter's boat to sit in to teach the crowds. Who knows what, or who, had been in that boat before Jesus came along? It didn't stop him from using it.
Jesus was crucified. We don't know, but it's possible that murderers, Romans or Jews had been crucified on the same cross as he was - that didn't make him a criminal.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I will say no. If the device has been used in say a quote unquote "Sinful" manner by someone either it be yourself or someone else, the idea that by you using it now will tempt you into sinful behavior is ridciulous. The person committs the sin, not the machine. However if your easily influenced and easy to fall into temptation, then have a buddy to help you when you use said device. Remember that it is the person who commits the sins, not the device they use. Responsibility is key. Good luck and god bless!

Upvote 0

nhaas11

Christian News: http://www.shekach.com
Oct 3, 2015
Fresno Ca
Visit site
✟8,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, the sins of the father are not passed to you. Ezekiel 18:20-21 KJV The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

you see your sins are not my sins. Why would you think that?

Upvote 0