I want a very specific bible, please help me.

Michaelrh1325

Christian
Mar 28, 2012
Illinois
✟7,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am looking for a very specific bible, and perhaps you fine Christians could help me out.

I'm looking for a bible that contains all of the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals, but that is NOT a Catholic bible, as I am a Protestant. I want it to be a study bible, and to be a version that is very accurate and literal, but is not a KJV or any variants.

I am currently using an ESV study bible and I enjoy the way it is written. This should help shed some light on what I'm looking for. I realize that the ESV has an Apocrypha version, but it's not a study bible.

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am looking for a very specific bible, and perhaps you fine Christians could help me out.

I'm looking for a bible that contains all of the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals, but that is NOT a Catholic bible, as I am a Protestant. I want it to be a study bible, and to be a version that is very accurate and literal, but is not a KJV or any variants.

I am currently using an ESV study bible and I enjoy the way it is written. This should help shed some light on what I'm looking for. I realize that the ESV has an Apocrypha version, but it's not a study bible.

I highly recommend the New Oxford Annotated Bible (4th edition), it's in the NRSV translation—which is awesome—but it's not exclusively Catholic. It's widely considered the standard for academia and it includes all the deuterocanonical Scriptures.

I absolutely love mine, it also contains an assortment of essays from the scholars who helped compile everything. I bought my new, but I've seen it used on half.com for around $17 in "good" condition. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

JHM

Sep 19, 2007
✟15,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For what it is worth I have 7 Bible versions, and the most accurate is the Jerusalem Bible. (Catholic). The second most accurate is the Oxford NRSV, and the third most accurate is the Darby version.

e.g. :

See Zechariah 6 1 - 6 Jerusalem Bible.
Zechariah 6 1 - 6 : "Again I raised my eyes, and this is what I saw: four chariots coming out between the two mountains, and the mountains were mountains of bronze. The first chariot had red horses, the second chariot had black horses, the third chariot had white horses and the fourth chariot had (vigorous) piebald horses.* I asked the angel who was talking to me, I said 'What is the meaning of these, my lord?' The angel answered,'These are going out to the four winds of heaven after standing before the Lord of the whole world. The red horses are going out to the country of the East; the black horses are going out to the country of the North; the white are going out to the country of the West and the piebald* are going out to the country of the South.' "

* Note: The Jerusalem Bible calls the horses of the fourth chariot: "(vigorous) piebald". Other Bibles call them as follows:

Jerusalem Bible : ............................ (vigorous) piebald
King James Bible : ........................... grisled and bay
Darby Bible: ..................................... grizled strong (vigorous)
Revised Standard Bible : .................. dappled grey (uncertain)
New American Standard Bible : .... . strong dappled
New International Bible : ................ dappled, all powerful

This is clearly a case where the meaning of the original Hebrew word has been lost. I suspect that "deathly pale", (in line with Revelations 6 7 ), might be a more accurate translation.

Note: Only the Jerusalem Bible has in my opinion given the correct translation of which direction the various horses go in. Other Bibles give directions as follows:
Jerusalem Bible : ................................ red east, black north, white west, piebald south.
King James Bible : .............................. black north, white after, grisled south.
Darby Bible: ........................................ black north, white after, grizled south.
Revised Standard Bible : ..................... black north, white west (after them), dappled south.
New American Standard Bible : ......... black north, white after, dappled south.
New International Bible : ................... black north, white west (or after them), dappled south.

If you want further details on why I consider the Jerusalem Bible the most accurate in this instance, say so, and I will PM you the reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was reading the reviews for the NRSV NOAB 4th Ed., and it seems that the pages are extremely thin and many people are having major problems with them. Is this still the case as of 2012, or has the problem been fixed?

They are thin pages, but I haven't observed them to be particularly thinner compared to my NIV and TNIV bibles. That's just me though, I haven't had any issues with the pages in my NOAB bible and I've toted it around in my backpack on many occasions.

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the help everyone. I will get the NRSV NOAB 4th Ed. It should go very nicely with my ESV SB. If I remember correctly, Oxford also does the Apocrypha for the ESV. So this seems like a great choice. Again, thanks all.

God Bless

A copy of the 1611 King James Bible has the aprocypha books in it, I think if you can find any print of an English translation before or around 1850 you will find the aprocypha books in them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
A copy of the 1611 King James Bible has the aprocypha books in it, I think if you can find any print of an English translation before or around 1850 you will find the aprocypha books in them.

You did read this in the OP?

"I want it to be a study bible, and to be a version that is very accurate and literal, but is not a KJV or any variants."

Upvote 0