I don't know why.....

P

planet

I came from a dyfunctional family, maybe this is the reason i cant settle down...?
each time when i feel closer to a man and feel he is maybe the right one, soon i will start to doubt, and i start to find shortcomings of the relationship, so i seek elsewhere, i v been talking to men from all over the world.....still can't settle down.
I dont know how to make my inner side in peace with this,
because same time i desire a family.

and today i talk to myself oh well, we r all in one, so why bother finding a special one?
Having a family, not having a family----it is same afterwards, we r still one connected to each other forever in the world in universe and always.

Maybe i shall just surrender, and wait and see.......
Let it go, and Let universe do something to surprise me?

Makoto

Aug 26, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know what you mean, I feel the same. In fact, I just got dumped on Sunday, and now I'm afraid he was "the one".

My advice, as cliche as it is, would be to pray for God to guide you and don't be dissapointed if it feels like you don't get an answer right away. Also, no matter what, follow what your heart tells you. It can be helpful to get others' advice and point of view, but don't let it influence your decisions. Only you will know when you're truly happy. You talked about the fact that you think your background has a influence in this, mine does too. I find it helps to try to figure out why you feel certain ways at certain times. Also don't be afraid to admit when your wrong or when you're scared/uncertian/whatever. If a guy is genuine, he'll be happy to listen and try to work things out.

I hope that makes sense :)

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you acting out of emotion or logic.

See the thing is that I was nervious when I married my wife. . . I kept thinking "What if this isn't a good idea" "What if she becomes a drug addict or something."

Those are emotional fears. But they are entirely emotional... There was no logical reason to think my wife would become a drug addict or something like that.

If you love someone and you start thinking they are good for you to marry, then great!! If you are concerned about if they are really good for you to marry or not, then ask yourself if there is a LOGICAL (not emotional) reason to belive this.

If there isn't a logical reason to belive that, then go foward, pray, and leave the rest up to God.

BTW "the one" is not scriptural, it is in fact anti-scriptural, it sounds romantic but its not the truth. There is no "one". . . There are people who are good for you to marry and people who arn't. You pick the one you want to marry from those who are good for you and go with that.

Let me fill you in on why I don't like talk of "the one". A lot of people lose their spouse, due to death, often early in their marriages. Our marriages are only until an earthly death seperates us. . . then we are free to re-marry.

Now while there would be an obvious period of morning for the lost spouse, there is absolutly nothing wrong with someone who's lost their spouse re-marrying.

A person who re-marries after the loss of a spouse did not have two "ones" or anything. They where two different people who where both good people for that person to marry.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well the way I see it, if it's someone you want to be with more than anything and there's no one you'd rather be with, that right there makes them "the one". Sure, there's other compatable matches out there, but they're first choice.

Ehh there is more too it then that. . . That is certainly a good start.

But you have to ask yourself if you have a compatable lifestyle and habits with this person.

One of the first things you have to ask if if you are compatable religiously and spiritually speaking. Christians should not marry non Christians no matter how much they love the person. A Christian's first love is always God, and a non-Christian could never understand that. Besides the bible tells us not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. (To be yoked with someone means to be tied to them.)

Things like having similar philophies in regards to money, child raising, future plans, gender roles, etc etc etc.

So don't get married to someone just because you love them right now. (You should love them, but a lot of other things are necessary.) Marriage changes a lot of things, and we're on month 21 of our marriage right now. (A year and 7 months) and one of the first things I noticed was things that where sometimes cute when you where dating are annoying when you are married. Little things become much bigger things when you are married.

Not everything has to be the same between two people. But if you have something that is the exact opposite, you can often live with it or ignore it when you are dating, but when you get married it can't be lived with or ignored forever.

When one gets married they have to be careful that they arn't so overly cautious that they are afraid to marry. But at the same time one can't walk into marriage with romantic blinders on thinking that their love will conquer all. Love can conquer all, but only unlimited and unconditional love conquers all. And humans do not have the ability within themselves to posess unlimited and unconditional love. Only God has that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Makoto

Aug 26, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've got to agree to disagree with you on something there. My boyfriend of six years was an athiest. (We broke up for reasons that had nothing to do with religion. Basically he wanted a job which require a lot of moving and I would prefer to be near my family.) We never once had a problem because of religion. Why? Because we both love and respect each other. I would love to see him join the church, and hope that someday he will. But I also know that shoving the Bible down someone's throat does more harm than good, and they have to make the decision for themselves. (I don't mean in any way that it does no good to try. People can certainly be led by example and by becoming more informed, but that's not the point of this post.) And he was always nothing but supportive of my faith and would listen and ask questions with interest when I talked about it. I don't see anything wrong with marrying someone of another religious belief as long as there's a mutual respect and support there. I really think that just depends on that particular person's feelings on the subject.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ehh there is more too it then that. . . That is certainly a good start.

But you have to ask yourself if you have a compatable lifestyle and habits with this person.

One of the first things you have to ask if if you are compatable religiously and spiritually speaking. Christians should not marry non Christians no matter how much they love the person. A Christian's first love is always God, and a non-Christian could never understand that. Besides the bible tells us not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. (To be yoked with someone means to be tied to them.)

Things like having similar philophies in regards to money, child raising, future plans, gender roles, etc etc etc.

So don't get married to someone just because you love them right now. (You should love them, but a lot of other things are necessary.) Marriage changes a lot of things, and we're on month 21 of our marriage right now. (A year and 7 months) and one of the first things I noticed was things that where sometimes cute when you where dating are annoying when you are married. Little things become much bigger things when you are married.

Not everything has to be the same between two people. But if you have something that is the exact opposite, you can often live with it or ignore it when you are dating, but when you get married it can't be lived with or ignored forever.

When one gets married they have to be careful that they arn't so overly cautious that they are afraid to marry. But at the same time one can't walk into marriage with romantic blinders on thinking that their love will conquer all. Love can conquer all, but only unlimited and unconditional love conquers all. And humans do not have the ability within themselves to posess unlimited and unconditional love. Only God has that.

I've got to agree to disagree with you on something there. My boyfriend of six years was an athiest. (We broke up for reasons that had nothing to do with religion. Basically he wanted a job which require a lot of moving and I would prefer to be near my family.) We never once had a problem because of religion. Why? Because we both love and respect each other.

And you where never married. . . everything changes when you are married. More on that later. . .

Also just because you where able to successfully carry on a relationship for a long time does not mean the relationship was God condoned. I mean I could go out and commit a lot of sins. That doesn't mean that God has condoned that sin.

I would love to see him join the church, and hope that someday he will. But I also know that shoving the Bible down someone's throat does more harm than good, and they have to make the decision for themselves.

I agree and I disagree . . .

I agree that forcefully shoving the faith down someone's throat does more harm then good. However I don't belive in decision theology. The Holy Spirit gives us faith and the only decision that is possible to be made would be rejection. We can not accept faith, we have faith if we don't reject faith. If we accept faith then we are participating in our own salvation.

(I don't mean in any way that it does no good to try. People can certainly be led by example and by becoming more informed, but that's not the point of this post.) And he was always nothing but supportive of my faith and would listen and ask questions with interest when I talked about it.

Thats good, we will all pray that he will quit rejecting the gift of faith.

I don't see anything wrong with marrying someone of another religious belief as long as there's a mutual respect and support there. I really think that just depends on that particular person's feelings on the subject.

God's feeling on the subject are clear. Do not be unequally yoked with unbeilievers means that someone should not go out and do something which ties them in some way to an unbeliever. That includes marriage but that also includes things like forming a business together.

There is very good reasons for these things. The problem is that you and your boyfriend have entirely different principals and eventually that showed through with his job decision. But had you gotten married it would have showed through more.

How can one center their marriage on Christ when one half of the marriage rejects him?

If you have children, how are the children to be raised? One of the reasons that I married my wife is that she was a Lutheran and accepted the teachings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (not to be confused with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America which is a schismatic, heterodox, organization which most confessional Lutherans like myself do not consider to be truely Lutheran.)

Would your boyfriend have liked giving away money to the church of a God that he rejects?

See the talk about respecting eachother's faith and things like that. . . its great . . . it really is . . . for friendships. But when someone starts having to tie themselves financially or in other ways to someone who has a completly different worldview, a lot of problems start to appear. And the only way to solve those problems is to withhold some of yourself and your heart from God. You have to compromise your faith for this person.

Trust me when I tell you, interfaith marriages only work when one or both people put their top priority on someone that is not God.

And I was an atheist for a long time and was not raised a Christian. My parents are diests by belief.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Makoto

Aug 26, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well like I said, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Honestly I don't see why any of those things couldn't be worked out, because he and I had already talked through them all. Had we had kids (which I never will, I don't want any), they would've been taught Christianity. In the end, I would've loved them no matter what religion they chose. As for the financial end, that also would not be a problem because I work and earn my money. Even if I didn't, he would'nt have had a problem with it. In any case, God loves me whether I give my money to a church or not. I'm not trying to say that all interfaith relationships are as easygoing as ours, I'm sure there's been plenty of marriages and relationships that failed because of it. At the end of the day, it's just a difference of opinion and I still think it depends on the individuals views.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well like I said, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Honestly I don't see why any of those things couldn't be worked out, because he and I had already talked through them all. Had we had kids (which I never will, I don't want any), they would've been taught Christianity. In the end, I would've loved them no matter what religion they chose.

Yes but to not throughly teach them the Christian faith would not be love. So that is good at least. However if your boyfriend taught them things about his faith then it would have confused them greatly.

Of course love your children like anyone else no matter what religion they choose.

As for the financial end, that also would not be a problem because I work and earn my money.

I work and earn our money. My wife works and earns our money. If your not sharing your money, you are not one flesh. And if you are not one flesh you are not treating your marriage in a Christian manner as proscribed by the scriptures.

Even if I didn't, he would'nt have had a problem with it.

Until he see's the numbers.

In any case, God loves me whether I give my money to a church or not.

God loves me no matter if I kill people or not. That alone is not a reason to make a decision like that. Its more of a question as to if you are called to give.

At the end of the day, it's just a difference of opinion and I still think it depends on the individuals views.

You consistently leave out God's views on this matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums