Visit site
✟17,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Though I am only 18, I have seen most of my career goals shatter in a matter of days.

I have always wanted to be a hot-shot lawyer,graduating from a top 25 law school, and having a stable family life(wife+kids;very important for me).

The reality: If you want to make $$$ in law, you need to work A LOT(60, sometimes 70 to 80 hours a week plus weekends). This means you literally will no time for your family. But wait. If you like law, you can still do the whole family thing, but you will end up with a job that doesn;t pay well.That's ok right? No, because most lawyers fresh from law school are in debt 100,000+ in tutiion/housing fees. :doh: However, all of this information I have procured on the internet,but I have seen a lot of consistent data from different sources, so I am sure at least some of it is true.

I honestly don't know what I want to do. I am majoring in poltical science, I will hopefully be tranferring to a prestiogus university soon(UCLA)--all I need is a 3.5,which is not hard for me-- but I am lost.

I want to have a CAREER(not a job) that pays well but, at the same time, allows me sufficient time to have a family.

Is anybody else confused on what they want to do for a living?

HolyOne87

Call Me A Sinner, Call Me A Saint..
Jun 2, 2006
✟18,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
i am still a little confused on what to do for a living.
I am aiming for a degree in Human Relations..and not even sure what i want to do with it yet.
I might aim at Social Work..but that also has many sub-divisions on what I can do with that. Not sure what to choose.

Upvote 0

hiddentears37

Aug 24, 2007
✟7,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I understand wanting a job that pays well, but that can't be one of the major factors in deciding what career is for you. I am a firm believer in doing what your are good at and what God has in mind for you, weather or not it is good paying. And dont' feel like you have to know what that is totally right now. I know that it would be a lot easier if you could just know what exactly you are ment to do right now, so you can take the right classes and go to the right school, but it might not work out that easily, and that's ok. but it is very good that you are thinking about what you do want for your future, like time with your family. I think if you let the Lord lead your decisions, you will end up with the perfect Career for you.

Upvote 0

MrsSeptemberPenguin

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Minnesota
✟32,184.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask you this, is Law really what you want to do, or is it just what you think will make you money? Do something you like, that God has given you a gift for. I'm doing that. My job won't pay that well, but I love what I"m going to be doing.

Upvote 0

SH89

Sola scriptura
Aug 7, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Visit site
✟17,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me ask you this, is Law really what you want to do, or is it just what you think will make you money? Do something you like, that God has given you a gift for. I'm doing that. My job won't pay that well, but I love what I"m going to be doing.

I feel that law is something that I should be doing. I find it so interesting and exciting.

The only reason why I want to make $$$ is to have a comfortable life for my future family, but,at the same time, I don't want to be glued to my desk for long hours.

I don't know what God wants me to do. . . I really don't! :cry: :cry:

Upvote 0

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
I hear you mate. I've been studying 4 years in actuarial studies thinking I liked maths, numbers and finance only to realize that I don't feel any satisfaction or enjoy working in the business/corporate environment.
And now I'm totally lost into where I want to go.

But have faith and pray to God. He listens. ;)

Upvote 0

hiddentears37

Aug 24, 2007
✟7,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hear you mate. I've been studying 4 years in actuarial studies thinking I liked maths, numbers and finance only to realize that I don't feel any satisfaction or enjoy working in the business/corporate environment.
And now I'm totally lost into where I want to go.

But have faith and pray to God. He listens. ;)

My boyfriend is studying actuarial math. I was just wondering why you didn't get satisfaction out of it, not to be too personal. Like would you recomend it to someone else?

Upvote 0

BeautifulDestiny09

Feb 16, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Visit site
✟15,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I DEFINITELY know what you're going through. I JUST transferred from junior college, thinking "I'm going to be an Urban Planner"...well I HATE my internship AND my classes, urban studies was just an interesting class I took back at junior college...so now I'm going BACK to the junior college to pursue my passions...music and writing...I have NO idea what I'm going to do with that, I don't even know if I'm going to finish school with a degree in music or something...but right now, I'm just following my heart and what God put in it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
My boyfriend is studying actuarial math. I was just wondering why you didn't get satisfaction out of it, not to be too personal. Like would you recomend it to someone else?
Just pointing out that I'm studying actuarial studies in Australia.
I wouldn't recommend it if you just like high school maths. Actuarial studies is more than just calculus and algebra. There's insurance stuff, financial theory, statistical theory. The statistical and financial theory side of it just didn't interest me.
And you have to know what kind of work you will be doing once you start working. After grraduating from uni, you will be partially qualified and likely be doing lots of spreadsheet based, analytical work, working out insurance premiums, capital reserves, actuarial modelling work and studying for your actuary qualification exams.

The university course is a very challenging program that requires alot of hard work and dedication. I wasn't committed or interested enough in it and so didn't find satisfaction. Out of my group of friends that I met at the beginning of the course, only maybe half of them are going to be working in the actuarial field. But I'm very sure there are people who enjoy it thoroughly.
My main reason for dissatisfaction is that I've come to realize that I want to come from and go to work with the motivation of helping people. I don't think actuarial work can provide that unless I join the company's corporate and social responsibility events and even then I would feel that they are more of a marketing and promotional plot rather than having genuine interest in giving back to the community.
Sorry for having such a critical, pessimistic view of corporate. I've just come to see it as an artificial world which I find very upsetting.

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Same boat as you, bud! But I'm a few steps ahead, I've found my "compromise" and it is a decision I wish I would have thought about years ago! I shouldn't really call it compromise because it is something that I am very passionte about and lets me enjoy all the things I love in life, family, flying, teaching, photography, and whatever interests I may find along the way!

I suggest you spend some more time praying about what you want to do. God will open and close doors for you to help make things more clear and open your eyes to new possibilities.

Upvote 0